Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 7, 2010, 1:06 PM   #1

Default New Panasonic FZ35 Owner

Hello all, I am the proud (and overwhelmingly confused) new owner of a new Panasonic FZ35 camera. I am just starting to get interested in photography and wanted a new and better camera. MY only other camera in my life has been an OLD Sony DSC-S75, although it served it's purpose and took pictures, it is extremely basic compared to the FZ35. My dad has a Sony DSC-F717 and my best friend a Sony DSC-F828, so I have extensive use and knowledge with SONY and ONLY Sony cameras. SO, not only am I the new owner of a FZ35, this is my very first Panasonic product ever. Even though the F717 and the F828 are great cameras, this FZ35 is leaps and bounds above them when it comes to scene selections and camera features. I'm so confused I don't know where to start. I hope everyone can put up with my newbie, uneducated and elementary questions.
Dirtbmw20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2010, 2:21 PM   #2

Try and read the many posts in the Forum. There is a lot of valuable information to be found here. The FZ38/35 is a great camera though you will need to experiment quite a bit to get the most out of it. Try to use the camera in specific scene modes as well as P or A mode – iA mode is not really this camera’s strength and is capable of superior output when you are able to make use of its extensive manual intervention. If you intend doing any outdoor activity with the camera, or macro photography, consider getting yourself a 46mm uv filter to protect from scratching or other damage. You would sure hate to ruin your Leica lens! These filters are not expensive.
You may also wish to play around with some of the adjustments too – i.e. I have found that the Saturation is vastly improved when increased to +1 : But these are all going to be personal preferences.
Oh.... and one of the 1st things I did with my camera was to switch all those annoying "beeps" off

Last edited by dbnnet; Feb 7, 2010 at 2:38 PM.
dbnnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2010, 3:10 PM   #3

dirtbmw20-

Welcome to the Forum and to the Panasonic P+S folder. We're delighted you dropped by.

Firstly, congratulations on your purchase of the FZ-35/FZ38. It is a wonderful camera. As has already been mentioned, avoid the IA mode completely, unless you are rather skilled at making lot of manual tweaks.

To get started, let the "P" for Programed Automatic mode be your friend. Presenting yourself with small personal challenges is a way to quickly expand your FZ-35 knowledge. This is a progressive learning process made fun as you challenge yourself to get better and better photos with the FZ-35.

The nice thing about the FZ-35 is its flexibility. It constantly allows you to move forward rather smoothly, rather than holding you back. Yes, it does appear sort of overwhelming at first, but the FZ-35 is easy to learn and offers many features. I believe that I can speak for all of us in the folder: We are here to help each other, and to get the most from the FZ-35.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2010, 1:41 PM   #4

This is one P&S camera like no other you can get attached to, it's a beautiful camera to have does anything & everything u want it to do, There are some nice sample video clips on YOUTUBE and some awesome review.

You can only enjoy this camera and there is nothing that can hold u back. Enjoy Dirtbmw20!!!!
Paul O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 1:06 PM   #5

Default Me too!!!

I am in the EXACT same boat as you! I just received my new Panasonic FZ35. I'm SOO excited, but completely LOST as to how to begin using this thing! I hate their users manual - I think it's very difficult to follow. I really want to learn to use this camera to the best of it's abilities, but I don't even know where to start. I wish there was a "FZ35 FOR DUMMIES" instruction manual!!! HELP!!???

Last edited by jlsokh; Feb 24, 2010 at 1:10 PM.
jlsokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 1:24 PM   #6

"FZ35 for Dummies"?
Try this:
http://www.seattlepcservice.ie/FZ35/..._Manual_01.doc
It's from this site:
http://www.seattlepcservice.ie/fz35.htm
Joe's FZ35/38 webpage
dbnnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 1:33 PM   #7

Joe's FZ-35 guide is a good one.

jlsokh-

You also might consider taking a digital camera course at your local Community College. That would get you off to an excellent beginning.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 3:06 PM   #8

WOW! Great stuff! Thank you so much for posting this! I had no idea how overwhelmed I would feel, but I like the layout of the info. I bookmarked the entire site, too -eager to read what "JOE" has to say!!!
Old Feb 24, 2010, 3:10 PM   #9

Sarah- I very much want to take a class. However, every class description I've seen makes a very strong point about NOT being able to discuss any specific camera and/or its functions. And that, right now, is what I'm struggling with most. I have been reading and reading that manual and I feel like one of those old zombie movies..... Like my eyes are just swirling circles! :-) I would just like to feel like have a good "basic" understanding of all the great functions associated with this camera. I guess it's just going to take lots of practice and asking questions. This kind of forum is SO incredibly helpful...... It's amazing what other people know and will pass on to amateurs like me! Thank you again!!!
Old Feb 24, 2010, 3:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnnet View Post
"FZ35 for Dummies"?
Try this:
http://www.seattlepcservice.ie/FZ35/..._Manual_01.doc
It's from this site:
http://www.seattlepcservice.ie/fz35.htm
Joe's FZ35/38 webpage

WOW! Great stuff! Thank you so much for posting this! I had no idea how overwhelmed I would feel, but I like the layout of the info. I bookmarked the entire site, too -eager to read what "JOE" has to say!!!