Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 8, 2010, 7:05 AM   #1

Default Bad white balance/fz35

Hi all

I recently got the fz35 sent out to me here in namibia, which i'm pretty happy with after a few days use. one weird thing i noticed is whilst camping at the weekend any photos with fire in seemed to fare badly with the auto white balance. the embers in particular are coming out purple. i did not notice strange colouration in day time photos.

theres a couple of photos attached, one with auto wb and one where i set the manual wb to +red as far as possible, which just about did the job.

any advice on this would be great, especially over whether its likely to be a general problem with my wb.

thanks
ben
Attached Images

begbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2010, 8:12 AM   #2

begbie, I have noticed that the Auto White Balance only seems to work well outdoors in sunlight on the FZ38/35. I would suggest that if indoors or when filming under flood lighting that you try using the 9 manual WB options (see Page 135 of the CD instruction set). With multiple sources of artificial lighting "Incandescent" seems to work well.
As for the fire... I would have tried the "Candlelight" option. Good luck!

Last edited by dbnnet; Feb 8, 2010 at 8:23 AM.
dbnnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2010, 11:04 AM   #3

dbnnet is very correct-

Auto WB works well outdoors but you will have to help the FZ-35/38 under any other lighting by selecting one of the fixed WB settings or even by using a custom WB.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2010, 1:50 PM   #4

The second photo does not look too bad, the fire & coals look kinda nice. dark light with auto WB.
Paul O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2010, 5:24 PM   #5

I thought that the purpose of selectable WB was to provide compensation/consideration for the spectral content of the light source. A campfire is not daylight nor overcast nor halogen nor florescent, etc. It has a strong IR component. One would guess that some type of manual setting might work to give the best effect.
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2010, 9:04 PM   #6

sdromel-

That is why you can select a custom WB.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2010, 9:38 PM   #7
Super Moderator

shooting into an open campfire will really mess with the WB of any camera, that is a tough task, and not really something i would even worry about.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 3:22 AM   #8

yes its not day to day shooting but i wondered if it was just the fire or a more general wb problem. i never had issues with my previous sony camera on awb, but i guess i had worse quality photos also...thanks for the replies.
begbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 4:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
dbnnet is very correct-

Auto WB works well outdoors but you will have to help the FZ-35/38 under any other lighting by selecting one of the fixed WB settings or even by using a custom WB.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Me too am not sure which light setting to use indoors(with no flash I mean)
on my last idiot-camera there was "indoor" setting for light balance..and i dont wanna temper with K˙s , I saw theres a option for that..I even tried that , but again , no "indoor" picture , theres picture of house and shade , candles , flash .
hrvoje xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 4:53 AM   #10

Try setting the manual white balance for indoor shots, it only takes a couple of seconds and i have found it very good
Alun_D is offline   Reply With Quote