Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:15 PM   #1

Default I.Exposure

I was wondering what other FZ38/35 users have for their I.Exposure setting?
I have had my Intelligent Exposure setting set to OFF since day one, but was wondering if anyone has a view or opinion on this???
dbnnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:32 PM   #2

dbnnet-

If you are referring to "intelligent ISO" I also keep is firmly to the OFF position.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:39 PM   #3

Sarah, Hi.
Thanks for the prompt response.
I have always had my "intelligent ISO" set off too... but its
the I. Exposure setting (on page 142 of the manual) that
I am refering to.
On the camera menu, it the setting directly after "Metering Mode".
Regards
Old Feb 12, 2010, 3:30 PM   #4

Hi Dbnnet,

the intelligent exposure function takes away harsh contrasts in a photo, without dropping the local contrast.

Take for example a picture in the city on a bright sunny day, and the shadows will be very black. Use I. exposure, and you can bring back detail in the shadow area's. What is basically does is use different ISO levels in different parts of the frame. A soft version of High Dynamic Range. You might find a scene mode on your camera that is called 'High Dynamic'. This is an intelligent exposure on steroids (and very usefull i might add)

Cheers
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 3:36 PM   #5

greenbaron, Hi.
Thanks for that explanation - Makes sense: I will re-activate the Intelligent Exposure setting and experiment with it.
As for "High Dynamic Mode", I see it is indeed available on the FZ38/35 so will give it a try too.
Regards

Last edited by dbnnet; Feb 12, 2010 at 3:43 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 11:00 AM   #6

Yes, each camera manufacture may call the effect by a different name. For example Canon calls the feature, "I-Contrast." The net effect is that it opens up the shadows (sometimes quite harsh in bright sunlight) so that more detail is captured.

I find it very useful, but there is a need to meter the detail recovery, so that the overall effect looks natural.

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 15, 2010, 7:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnnet View Post
greenbaron, Hi.
Thanks for that explanation - Makes sense: I will re-activate the Intelligent Exposure setting and experiment with it.
As for "High Dynamic Mode", I see it is indeed available on the FZ38/35 so will give it a try too.
Regards
I have found that the HDR Scene Mode doesn't work to well. So it is better to use the Auto Bracketing, which will take 3 pictures with a different EV (which you set). Then you use an application like Photoshop or whatever to take those 3 images and make an HDR image out of them. Make sure to use a tripod!
AtariJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 7:32 PM   #8

AtariJedi-

You have broken the code! That is the way I prefer to do it as well.

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 16, 2010, 2:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtariJedi View Post
I have found that the HDR Scene Mode doesn't work to well. So it is better to use the Auto Bracketing, which will take 3 pictures with a different EV (which you set). Then you use an application like Photoshop or whatever to take those 3 images and make an HDR image out of them. Make sure to use a tripod!
That's why I like the latest firmware upgrade on the lx3 so much; it has increased the autobracket range from +/- 2 to +/- 3 stops

Anyway, I still think the high dynamic scene mode is one of the more useful ones, as it gives less experienced photographers the chance to really capture more in one shot, with needing a tripod and/or more advanced photoshopping skills
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote