Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 14, 2010, 7:19 PM   #1

Default Getting to Know You...

We have a nice group here in the Panasonic P+S Folder. I though it might be fun to get to know each other better. You know something about yourself and how you want to develop your photography. I will e the guinea pig and begin.

My husband and I are retired folks. For 14 years we taught digital cameras on cruise ships around the world. In that 14 years we completed 608 cruises, include three World Cruises. We are Certified Trainers for Panasonic, Canon, Kodak, and Nikon.

Before we retired 12 years ago, Bradley was a Clinical Psychologist and I was a Boeing 747 Captain Pilot for Trans World Airlines for 32 years.We both hold advanced degrees, and continue to teach for our state university and our Community College. We are teaching a course called "Digital Cameras Made Really Easy" and a course in photo editing using Adobe Photosho Elements.

We have been shooting photos for 62 years and use a combination of P+S cameras and DSLR's. We have written and published 7 books, including the textbook for our "Digital Cameras Made Really Easy" course, which is now in its 4th edition.

I will attach a photo of myself and Bradley.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2010, 1:02 AM   #2

To put it simply, I am a ‘common man’. Not much of academic or professional credentials, employed at a middle management position in a good private organization in India, early 50s, married, two children.

Good photographs of all sorts – people, animals, scenery – have always attracted me from my childhood. In those ‘film’ days, the best I could afford was a 35mm point-and-shoot camera and you couldn’t do much with that. Processing was also costly, so you had think twice before shooting. The advent of digital cameras brought photography within my – the common man’s – reach and it was a real thrill shooting macros and telezooms. It is still my dream to move on to a DSLR and take better pictures than I do now. Time has to tell.

Steve’s site has helped me to learn about photography. There are so many people here who have helped me through guidance and comments and my thanks to them all. If you like the photos that I post, it is all I learned through this site. (If you don’t like, then blame me for not learning enough!)

I love to travel and record what all I see to share with my people – relatives, friends and lovely people in this forum. You may see my photos at www.flickr.com/photos/raghu_ambattur. Only recently I have taken interest in blog. You may view my blog at www.amblog-raghu.blogspot.com. I love nature – trees, animals, birds, everything.

This is me on an outing:
Attached Images

Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2010, 11:31 AM   #3

Many thanks, Raghu-

It is a pleasure to get to know you better. We have a growing group or "family" in the most generic terms here in the Panasonic folder and I thought it would be helpful to know a bit more about each other.

I love your work, Raghu, as it gives us a delightful glimpse into India, one of the most populous nations in the world, along with some fine photography.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 21, 2010, 12:24 AM   #4

okay...i'll bite....

i guess it's pretty obvious that i live in texas (haha), i'm on the gulf coast.
i'm a librarian/circulation manager at the local public library, i've been there since 1980. i've had an interest in photography for a long time, but have just recently decided to "indulge" it. my dad (who's been gone for 12 years now) loved photography. he developed his own photos and loved taking photos with his telescope. my sister and daughter also have good photographic abilities. so i guess the interest runs in the family.

besides photography i enjoy reading, traveling, and music. oh did i mention being a celluloid freak too?? my favorite city is chicago and my favorite musician is michael mcdermott (chicago's favorite son). i also very into forensics and criminology. i hope to go back to school soon and change careers!

i'm loving my panny z35 and also my fuji f70exr. i like taking photos of all kinds of things and look forward to learning all i can.

this is me:
Name:  nh16.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  75.5 KB

p.s. love steve's and these forums. you guys are great!

maryintexas39
Panasonic DMC-LX5/Panasonic Lumix ZS9/Panasonic Lumix ZS15

my flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/maryintexas39/
maryintexas39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:09 AM   #5

Many thanks, Mary-

Its fun to get to know each other. That is a very nice photo as well. It is great to see you enjoying your photography.

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 21, 2010, 12:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu View Post
You may view my blog at www.amblog-raghu.blogspot.com. I love nature – trees, animals, birds, everything.
Nice blog with great pictures. I'm also in my early 50's, ex-pat living and working in Finland.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 12:47 PM   #7

We are pleased to make your acquaintance, Ned-

Welcome to the group. We have a lot of fun here in the Panasonic folder. What camera are you currently shooting?

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 21, 2010, 12:53 PM   #8

Right, just my Nokia 95... I am waiting for a tax return to purchase my first D-SLR... Can hardly wait... Impressed to the gills with FZ38 and Fujis S200 EXR... but being a Pentax film man, looking at different needs, and what I want to do... I leaning toward the Pentax K-7

All the best.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 3:12 PM   #9

Thanks for filling us in on the details, Ned.

I would have guessed the Kx rather than the K-7, as I know of your Pentax film DSLR experience.

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 23, 2010, 1:15 PM   #10

Beautiful blog Raghu.I am from Cape Town, South Africa, birthplace of Nelson Mandela, I am 41 year old, am a Panasonic FZ35 user since December 2009 and loving every minute of it. I work for a large retail company in IT, with them for 15 years. I am active on IT forums so be gentle on the photography forum with me. I've alway enjoyed photography and only own digital Pentax camera's before. Oh and my first was a film Pentax too. I've attached a photo of my wife (of 12 years) and I taken recently on Valentine's day at a Valentine dinner with friends.
Attached Images

Last edited by Paul O; Feb 23, 2010 at 2:35 PM. Reason: spelling error correction.
Paul O is offline   Reply With Quote