Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 15, 2010, 8:31 PM   #11
Super Moderator

they all do a good job, but the xsi handled the wb and skin tones the best (without knowing Bradley in person, i am guessing).

the sony did ok for iso 400, though it can't match the d90 (esp at base iso) or the xsi at 800.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 9:03 PM   #12

The issue I was trying to point out is that yes, there are increases in image quality, but at times those increases can be rather small. A DSLR is not necessarily a miracle tool. And finally, the Panasonic FZ-35 keeps up with the big boys and you can get great image quality out of a P+S camera with a small imager under the right lighting conditions. It is when lighting conditions are not optimal that a DSLR proves its worth.

And yes, Dustin, you were square on target regarding Bradley's skin tones.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Feb 15, 2010 at 9:08 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2010, 12:59 AM   #13

Out of all Bradley's shots, I like the last one best (sample #2) although a bit over saturated. Skin color looks good with lots of details. The first and second HX-1 images don't look too good as his skin has a reddish/pinkish tone to them. The Pana shot also looks good although I think the flash was a bit too strong giving it a bluish/whitish look.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2010, 9:41 AM   #14

Sarah,
Thanks again for posting more samples. The FZ35 shot looks much better to me than the HX-1 one. Sharper image, much more details and the WB is better IMO. In regards to 'big boys' shots I like the D90 shot (sample 1) more than the one from Canon (sample2).
One more thing - you used Auto WB for Bradley shot and 'halogen' WB for cameras shot. With both shots being indoors, is there any particular reason for selecting different WB? Or it was 'just because'? Thank you
SteveMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2010, 11:23 AM   #15

Good Morning, Steve-

I was tweaking with the WB to get the best complexion color on Bradley's face. Tullio had mentioned facial color in his post as well. As you can see, in good lighting conditions, the FZ-35 holds its own rather nicely.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 16, 2010, 11:45 AM   #16

In my experience, the flash WB setting works real well on most cameras. Since the type of flash light is known in terms of Kevin, manufacturers can very accurately preset the WB for it. The nice thing about the FZ is the fact that one can save custom settings (4 on the FZ28 and apparently 3 on the FZ35/38). So, I have one of the settings configured for indoor with flash. I have ISO fixed to 400, flash WB and flash output +0.3 as I find the flash set to 0 not being strong enough even with ISO 400. By having this configuration saved, I can easily access it without having to tweak all these camera settings back and forth.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2010, 12:20 PM   #17

That is a great idea, Tullio!

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 16, 2010, 8:25 PM   #18

Thank you Tullio. I 'll try these settings. I remember experimenting with Flash WB
and it looked like it is adding a little bit of red
in order to compensate the flash.
SteveMI is offline   Reply With Quote