Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 18, 2010, 2:35 AM   #11

Default Dmw-la3

The FZ7 came with a DMW-LA2 adapter that I use with UV filter. The lens cap fits nicely on the filter. This actually solves a number of problems - mechanism hitting cap, keeps dirt out of the telescoping mechanism & protects the telescoping system from damage from bump impact. Although the overall camera is a bit bigger, it is not heavier. I found the perfect carrying case (just fits) the whole system too.

You should be able to do the same set up using a DMW-LA3 (55.8 to 55mm) adapter that the FZ35/38 uses. It is a $30 part from Pany, but can be purchased from other distributors for $19.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...wAA#ps-sellers
Attached Images

Last edited by sdromel; Feb 18, 2010 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Adds PIX Samples
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 12:06 PM   #12

sdromel,

Thanks so much for the suggestion, that is exactly what I had in mind.

BUT, like Sarah mentioned, won't having that adapter on the camera have an affect on a wide angle shot ??? Do you have to take that adapter off when taking pics at wide angle ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdromel View Post
The FZ7 came with a DMW-LA2 adapter that I use with UV filter. The lens cap fits nicely on the filter. This actually solves a number of problems - mechanism hitting cap, keeps dirt out of the telescoping mechanism & protects the telescoping system from damage from bump impact. Although the overall camera is a bit bigger, it is not heavier. I found the perfect carrying case (just fits) the whole system too.

You should be able to do the same set up using a DMW-LA3 (55.8 to 55mm) adapter that the FZ35/38 uses. It is a $30 part from Pany, but can be purchased from other distributors for $19.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...wAA#ps-sellers
Dirtbmw20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 12:56 PM   #13

No. I NEVER remove this adapter. (The threads are very very fine plus being plastic one has to be particularly careful threading it on.) Once you get used to it (ie, the camera being so much more care free in terms of dirt & rough handling) you'll never want to remove it & you shouldnt have to. Even if you remove the filter for some reason, leaving on the adapter continues to protect the telescoping mechanism. I cant recommend this highly enough.

IMO I also think that the adapter provides a bit of protection from sun glare too.

Finally, there have been reported issues with cameras being energized with the lens cap on & damaging the telescoping system. There was even a case reported for FZ35/38. It didnt make the system inoperative for FZ35/38, but the mechanism became noisier after experiencing a few traumas.
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 4:48 PM   #14

Thank you again sdromel, that is great info, exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for. With this being my first NICE, GOOD camera, I read TONS of reviews on the FZ35, and I'm not the only one with this complaint or "personal preference". It was actually one of the most disliked things about the camera. I will check into the lens adapter number you gave me.
Dirtbmw20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 9:07 PM   #15

The lense cap has never begin an issue to me, I just adapt quicker, i change it to play mode if I only want to view the photo's on the LCD then the lense does not do anything, as someone mentioned here earlier.
Paul O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 9:30 PM   #16

This happens to me twice, and now i have the habit to take it off when power on the camera, but i want to know what part of the lens knocks the lens cap?, i mean its the lens it self (glass) or the plastic around it?
because i dont want to demage the glass..
Edufloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 10:40 PM   #17

edufloyd-

In the case of the FZ-35 it the plastic lens ring that makes contact with the lens cap.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 11:04 PM   #18

Sorry Sarah, but my English's so poor! You mean that the glass doesen't knock the lens cap, only the ring around it??
Edufloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2010, 7:21 AM   #19

[QUOTE=Dirtbmw20;1053398]
Is it possible to get an adapter or something to go from the 46mm to like a 52mm or 58mm and use the lens cap while the camera is tuned on ?? Are those adapters long enough for the lens not to hit the cap ??? Will the adapter show up or make a difference when taking wide angle shots or panaroma shots ??

I have ordered a 46mm uv protector and also a 46mm lens cap but the 46mm lens cap hits the camera when it is turned off, the lens goes too far inside the camera to use a smaller 46mm cap.
[QUOTE]

Did you find the way to solve the problem? This problem is a pain for me too. Please, if you found a solution, let us know!
alexander
kibaris is offline   Reply With Quote