Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 17, 2010, 11:55 AM   #1

Default FZ35 Lens Cap ?????

What is everyone doing about the crappy design of the lens cap that can not be in place with the camera ON ??? If you have the lens cap on and turn the camera on, the lens keeps hitting the cap resulting in the camera stopping and telling you to take the lens cap off.

Is everyone just dealing with this poor design or has anybody figured out a way to get a lens cap to stay on ??? Is it possible to get an adapter or something to go from the 46mm to like a 52mm or 58mm and use the lens cap while the camera is tuned on ?? Are those adapters long enough for the lens not to hit the cap ??? Will the adapter show up or make a difference when taking wide angle shots or panaroma shots ??

I have ordered a 46mm uv protector and also a 46mm lens cap but the 46mm lens cap hits the camera when it is turned off, the lens goes too far inside the camera to use a smaller 46mm cap.

Can anybody share with me what they are using for a protective lens cap ???
Dirtbmw20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2010, 12:13 PM   #2

dirtbmw20-

The lens cap is really not that big a deal.

1. Get into the habit of taking the lens cap off before powering up the camera.

2. Yes, most lens adapters will allow the lens to fully extend without touching a lens cap if it is in place. However, you will have to remove the lens adapter when using the 28mm wide angle position.

It sound like you have to use the lens cap retainer, and to develop the habit of removing the lens cap, before powering on.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 1:07 PM   #3

Sarah, I'm sorry but I disagree. The lens cap is a big deal to ME. That is a very poor design. It looks like I don't have any option but to get into the habit of removing the cap before powering on the camera, again, that's a poor design from Panasonic in my opinion. Also, if I have to remove the adapter to take a wide angle pic, then the adapter is no use to me either, BUT, that's the exact info I needed or wanted to know before I went and bought an adapter. I'll probally just trash the lens cap and have to use my uv protector as a make shift lens cap, I'll just lose the lens cap anyways.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 1:39 PM   #4

dirtbmw20

You know, its different strokes for different folks. Please do whatever is the easiest for you. I was just answering your question.

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 17, 2010, 4:11 PM   #5

Had the same problem...then I realised that if you put that switch on "play" mode , it wont hit lens cap..so I do it like this .
hrvoje xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 4:26 PM   #6

hrvoje-

That is a good solution, the provides a work around for the lens cap design. Thank you.

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 17, 2010, 4:54 PM   #7
Super Moderator

why exactly do you want to turn your camera on in shooting mode with the lens cap on?? is that really a functional problem?
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 7:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
dirtbmw20

You know, its different strokes for different folks. Please do whatever is the easiest for you. I was just answering your question.

Sarah Joyce
Sarah, please don't take offense to what I said or just because I disagree with you, it's exactly what you said, different strokes for different folks. It is a personal preference thing with ME, it's no big deal to you but it bothers ME. All I was doing was asking what everyone else was doing and looking for alternate suggestions like you & hrvoje offered, I'm sorry I don't agree with your suggestion or that I disagree with you, there was no harm or disrespect intended.

Lee
Old Feb 17, 2010, 7:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
why exactly do you want to turn your camera on in shooting mode with the lens cap on?? is that really a functional problem?
I never said I WANTED to, I just said it was a crappy design. I just happened to turn it on and could hear the lens smacking the inside of the cap. This is MY first GOOD camera, I had a little cheap Sony S75 that is nothing compared to this Panasonic and my dad has had NUMEROUS Sony's in the family, from a small S50 to a F717 and a F828, every Sony we have ever owned did not do this, and that's just what I'm USE to. They put all this huge technology into this camera but overlook something little like the lens cap.

You ask if it really is a functional problem, To me YES, it is. Sure, the camera functions just fine and takes pics, but the function of the lens cap is what we're talking about here and with the camera lens smacking against it continously, then it does not serve it's functional purpose very well.

Again, all I was looking for was alternate suggestions, this is a personal preference issue.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 7:59 PM   #10

dirtbmw20

No offense taken at all. Please don't worry about it. I was making a sincere effort to answer your question.

Sarah Joyce