Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 19, 2010, 7:46 PM   #1

Default Focus question - FZ35

I went to the store to check out the FZ35 today. It felt good in my hands and seemed like a pretty good camera, although I really feel it is difficult to evaluate much about a camera in a short anount of time in the store.

The one thing that is bothering me is that I could not get EVF view in focus at long zoom lengths (it was fine at wider angles). The salesman was not helpful in the least. Has anyone had this problem or, as I suspect, was it likely just a bad camera or setting that needed to be changed and the salesman didn't know enough to tell me how to fix it?

FWIW, I tried another superzoom camera and had no such problem.
Jazzer251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:01 AM   #2

Pg 71 on the manual describes this issue:
"If you focus on a subject at 2m (6.57 ft) or less ...... subject becomes unfocused".
I believe you would in the above case need to shift your AF mode.
Regards
dbnnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 11:42 AM   #3

jazzer-

I have never had a single problem in focusing the FZ-35. As is often the case, I believe that perhaps the default camera settings had been altered by someone trying the camera or the light levels within the store itself hampered the operation.. That is unfortunate and surely not characteristic of the FZ-35.

One important note: I use spot focus with the FZ-35, as I did with my FZ-28 and FZ-18. It allows for quicker focus and gives you the ability to actually select the focus point, which is a very important issue for me.

Another important note: While it is tempting to use the IA (Intellligent Automatic Mode) it really hampers image quality a bit. I personally avoid using the IA mode.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 11:55 AM   #4
Super Moderator

It could be the minimum focus distance or possibly just that at the longer end the lens is not so bright (less light gets in) so it is harder in low light situations for any camera to lock focus.

If you were to find a high contrast spot that would probably fix the problem. Also when it is at max zoom that is a very narrow field of view so even the slightest movement will alter what is being seen. Again in low light this means the camera can lose what it is trying to focus on throwing it out.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:10 PM   #5

Thank you Sarah and Mark.

I actually might have thought that there could be an issue with light, but I believe the Panasonic is f/4.4 at its long end while the Canon, which I had no problem with, is f/5.6. Unfortunately, the memory was completely full so I couldn't even get to see what the picture would have looked like if I had taken it. I'm just going to chalk it up to an anomaly.

Sarah, thanks for the thought about spot focusing.
Jazzer251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post

One important note: I use spot focus with the FZ-35, as I did with my FZ-28 and FZ-18. It allows for quicker focus and gives you the ability to actually select the focus point, which is a very important issue for me.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
This is very interesting to know. I have been using Multi-Metering in iA mode. This might sound silly but does using spot/center weighted/multi metering have any effect in Manual mode? I might have to take a look again at the manual for this camera.
DoctorFaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 1:00 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorFaust View Post
This is very interesting to know. I have been using Multi-Metering in iA mode. This might sound silly but does using spot/center weighted/multi metering have any effect in Manual mode? I might have to take a look again at the manual for this camera.
Metering and focus are 2 very different things. Metering is for exposure, focus is, um, well, focus.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 1:30 PM   #8

Mark is very correct.

There is indeed a tendency to lump focus and exposure into the same basket. In truth, they are like apple and oranges, and are totally different. I was referring just to the focusing aspect.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 3:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Mark is very correct.

There is indeed a tendency to lump focus and exposure into the same basket. In truth, they are like apple and oranges, and are totally different. I was referring just to the focusing aspect.

Sarah Joyce
Thank you both for clarifying although, I feel like I should have already known that
DoctorFaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 4:54 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorFaust View Post
Thank you both for clarifying although, I feel like I should have already known that
Don't worry, you won't be the last to make that mistake