Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 21, 2010, 9:08 PM   #1

Default Very Strange Problem...

I made a few test videos with my FZ35. I have it set for movie mode at AVCHD and SH. I'm saving the vids to an SDHC 4gig card that's for HD video. After I shoot the video's, I try to view it in WMP11 with the ffdshow codecs. The video's end up playing in a fast foward mode(but nice&sharp). If I recode them from AVCHD to mov and play it in quicktime, it plays slow&choppy. I have no clue if it's the camera, or the software, or my pc. My system is an Athlon XP64, 3500, 2.64ghz, 1gig Ram. When I recode, it's not a problem(just uses 100% of my CPU). I'm ready to send the camera back because this is frustrating, and me and my daughter have a show to go to in jacksonville on saturday and I want to record it with sharp video. Geeez, her cheap $79.00 insignia camera doesn't give me this much trouble, but the video quality stinks. Any thoughts anyone?

Many Thanks:
Don
VengefulHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:29 PM   #2

Don-

Please keep in mind that playing a video take a lot of computer muscle. If yours is an older computer, that is probably the problem.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:33 PM   #3
Super Moderator

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/2...w-Decode-AVCHD
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 2:06 AM   #4

Default Windows 7

I have been following many reported "issues" and "problems" around AVCHD for some time now on a number of forums. One thing seems certain: Upgrading to Windows 7 (which has far superior in-built support for AVCHD) seems to resolve these.
AVCHD is not going to go away, on the contrary, it the fasting growing format these days. But like any new technology, I think it will take time for some 3rd party applications and software to become compatible.
Regards

Last edited by dbnnet; Feb 22, 2010 at 2:20 AM.
dbnnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 2:45 AM   #5

Let me suggest you try out Splash Lite player, search for it on google or yahoo! If you have any type of video graphics card in your computer system that supports hardware encoding/decoding, this software utilizes it and plays avchd,quicktime,mastrok and many other video formats without breaking a sweat! Even works on netbooks and can play avchd files smoothly!

On my PC using a nvidia graphics card and hardware decoding, cpu utilization is at 0-1 percent load while gpu handles the video format.

Best thing since slice bread, due to it being free!
skyhawk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 3:46 AM   #6

To easily play avchd files (m2ts) , use vlc media player , heres the link for dl
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html
m2ts files are high-bandwith files which use lot of both cpu and graphic resources.

If you want program for detailed tuning , theres GOM player , I use it its very good but opens slowly than VLC media player so maybe you should stick to that.
hrvoje xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 3:59 AM   #7

Yes, GOM player is an excellent choice: It really seems to have no issues with AVCHD as well as being able to handle almost every other format including flv files too. It's Free as well!
dbnnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 4:25 AM   #8

I've been playing my AVCHD video's in the kmp player works well and lots you can do with this little player.
http://kmplayer.en.softonic.com/

Last edited by Paul O; Feb 23, 2010 at 6:51 PM. Reason: Added a link
Paul O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 5:59 PM   #9

hi vengeful....use zoomplayer...its one of the best around and i doubt if there is any codec it can't play nice and smoothly.
amateurman is offline   Reply With Quote