Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:37 PM   #1

Default Massive dust spots recording video with ZS3

Okay, so I love my ZS3

Specifically the video quality, it's amazing. And I use it for almost everything.

Well, I was recording a performance today and when I got the camera home, I noticed some MAJOR spots all over the video. One in particular which would not go away, it was dark and completely in focus the entire time.

I thought it was maybe just the location where I was at, but I tested it on a white background and it most certainly is not.

There's dust there, and although it does NOTHING to impact the still picture quality, it is ruining all of my videos, which was the main reason why I bought it.

I need help. Do I take it to a camera shop and see if they can clean it?

I'm good about my camera. I keep it in the case and away from the elements. No different than my other cameras. In fact, my older Panasonic Lumix is fine, even after years of just tossing it in a pocket.

Help, please. My camera is the way I capture moments of my kids. This... sucks!

Thanks!!!

Nick
andsoitgoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2010, 12:07 PM   #2

Nick-

I found a website devoted to Panasonic problems at www.fixya.com, that might be a good sopt to begin your quest.

Please keep us advised on what you find out.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 12:23 PM   #3
Super Moderator

it is strange to get dust in a p&s. and also strange that they are only noticeable in video.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 1:39 PM   #4

Thanks Sarah. I saw a few posts on there about this, most don't give too much information.

I've sent a note off to Panasonic support to ask them their suggestion.

The only thing I can think of for reasons it would only show in video would be that the lens is open endlessly, rather than for a split second. It may have been happening for quite some time, but most of the time I'm recording in dark enviornments, where the spots wouldn't have been noticed. This was the first time the background was white.
andsoitgoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 2:59 PM   #5

andsoitgoes-

The shutter hanging open would certainly be a possible reason for white frames. Does that then point to a shutter problem with the ZS3?

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote