Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 28, 2010, 12:51 PM   #21

Sarah, thanks. Phew!
dbnnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 2:50 PM   #22

Hi everyone,

Hope you don't mind if I hijack my own thread back

Thanks to all for your views and wonderful shared photos on my dilemma with the FZ35.

Over the past few days my thoughts have coalesced somewhat; I am now down to choosing between the just released Nikon P100, and the FZ35. I am ready to make a purchase this week, and interestingly enough the P100 has been released in Australia at RRP $535, which is about $100 less than the now "discounted" FZ35.

To save a lot of typing, here is my post from the other forum (which I don't expect much (intelligent) response from) (apologies it's just lazy I know)

...So I am wondering, as taking photos for me is *fun*, will all the cool new features on the P100 at the lower cost, outweigh the quite likely fact (already born out in early reviews) that it's IQ and IS will be inferior to the FZ35?
I mainly do good-light daytime shooting - some landscape, but I am coming to enjoy street photography. But not in the "get-up-close" stealth style that some are proficient at. I'd rather use the zoom and flip screen and the high speed burst from a distance. But am I going to get more keepers with the P100 because of the 10fps and flip screen, or conversely get home and be ultimately disappointed with the IQ and possibly noise if forced to use ISO400+ at long focal lengths? The FZ35 is well known to have a sharp lens and excellent jpeg treatment of lens aberrations and fringing. But virtually no burst mode and no flip-screen and 18x zoom.

Kind Regards

Greg

PS on a very divergent note, I just love the layout and formatting tools here (as well as the nice ppl )
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 6:05 PM   #23

Default Fun at the Wax Museum

Im posting these photos (taken with FZ7) to illustrate how real wax replicas can look. It's almost scary. (Ive got a few even better ones, but I dont remember the star - embarrassing.)

To be kind to Steve's server, Ive reduced the PIX size 2/3. Marilyn is outdoors & her PIX is reduced 50% & cropped.

PS: I never shoot more than 3mp unless it is some unusual family portrait special. Typically I only shoot 1mp, but these may have been at 2mp. Not sure if for Elton John I even used flash. Colored lights are used throughout the museum.
==========
Attached Images

sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 6:59 PM   #24

Greg-

You are comparing the just released Nikon P-100 against the FZ-35 which is one generation older. The new successor to the FZ-35 will be introduced probably in May. The best yardstick to look at is the performance of the P-90 which has been less than stellar.

I encourage to do whatever makes you happy. However, I personally would have serious qualms about the P-100.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 2:01 AM   #25

Greg, The P-100 is the upgrade to the P-90 and according to the "other" well known
review site its owners gave it a rating of only 3.64 - The lowest of any Superzoom.
i.e. Lumix FZ38/35 - 4.48 : FinePix S200EXR - 4.32 : Cyber-shot DSC-HX1 - 4.14
In fact its the only one rated below 4 from what I can see.
We often hear that Nikon have outsourced their P&S cameras to 3rd party
manufacturers which may explain why in recent years they have not performed well.
Regards
dbnnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 12:30 PM   #26

dbnnet-

The third party manufacturers issue is correct. The same Chinese plant is producing the Kodak Z-980, the Nikon P-90, and the Pentax X-70 with a 24X zoom lens. This year that same factory is producing the Kodak Z-981, the Nikon P-100, and the Pentax X-80 using a 26X zoom lens and a Chinese copy of the Sony CMOS imager.

I tried all three cameras last year. The fit and finish was below average. The lens did beautiful macro or close-up shots, but has more than a few optical flaws in it. I would imagine that this year is a repeat of last year, and I know that there are multiple proprietary elements to the Sony CMOS imager to prevent copying which is fairly common with the Chinese.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 3:02 PM   #27

Hi Greg,

I read the on line manual for the Nikon P100 the other day and pretty well eliminated it from my wish list. There are a few features found in the FZ series that the Nikon doesn't have. A couple that pop to mind are no "Favorites" function for slide shows and no playback of video during slide shows. Of course, in addition to small things like that, the P100 gets very ho hum reviews for IQ in both video and still. Like you, I liked all the bells and whistles on the P100 until I started getting into it.

Amazon is now delivering P100s so user reviews should be available soon.

About the lack of burst mode in the FZ35, there are two high speed burst options at 6fps and 10 fps with virtually unlimited shots and almost immediate writing to memory. I use this feature in the field on my FZ28 for my dogs retrieving and at Little League games for action shots. I find it very satisfactory and have printed a few shots at 4x6. They are fine.

At this point, I'm waiting to see the new Sony superzoom. Unless it's very special, I'll buy the HX1 or the Pany FZ35. I like everything about my FZ28 except the video.

Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 5:15 PM   #28

Thanks Sarah, dbnnet, and Setter Dog.

Jack, strangely I feel we are "in-tune" for some reason. I keep running into your posts everywhere, eg Amazon, it feels like we ran into each other at the post office, then again at the supermarket!

Sarah I agree on all you have said - except your assertion about the Chinese sensor copy. With the size and might of the Sony legal machine, there is no way on the planet (even if it were technically feasible in the timeframe) that major multinationals would be using a fake Sony sensor.

Simply put, as in a lot of things Sony does, features and gimmicks come before quality. Everyone is gaga at these BSI sensors in various cameras, but I can't think of one yet that I have seen anything particularly positive about IQ, It's all about the cool new features.

As much as I "want" to find an FZ35 competitor with an articulated screen, nothing that's coming out seems to have the ultimate sharpness and over all quality of the package that the ZF35 offers.

I just read through about the last 20 of Amazon's reviews, - wow they are so positive!

The Fuji, Samsung and Sony either have bazoooka zooms or are too heavy - and I have an ill feeling about the FZ48 - I highly doubt Panasonic will ever buy a sensor from Sony - much more likely it will have a yukky 14mp sensor.

So I've ordered in an FZ35 at the local Harvey Norman retailer here, for $599 (believe it or not, that is a good deal in Australia). I do have the option to pull out before I collect it this week though. (No returns in Australia unless defective)

Thanks heaps all, this is a great thread

Greg

PS Jack - what's wrong with the FZ28 video?
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 5:32 PM   #29

Greg,

The FZ28 video problems might not bother others, but it just doesn't work for me. I like to shoot a combination of stills and a few video clips on my quail hunting trips where I tell myself what I'm doing, what the day is like etc. The audio is so bad on the FZ28 that I don't recognize my own voice. The video itself is, in my opinion, kind of washed out. It can't be punched up or made vivid in the FZ28. Also, the videos can't be played in chronological sequence to make a slide show with the stills. None of that cools me on the FZ35, however, since it's all reportedly been fixed and improved. I feel a little stupid since I bought the FZ28 for the HD video,......and kept it because it's great for everything else I do.

If I get the FZ35, it will be because I've learned to love the FZ28 with all the features. I will then be back to carrying only one camera to Little League games and Yellowstone Park.

Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote