Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:08 PM   #11

Here's how easy it is in iA mode:Panasonic’s iA Mode Just Keeps Getting Better – with new POWER O.I.S and Face Recognition With the DMC-FZ38 taking great photos is that easy. Panasonic incorporated the Intelligent Auto mode in pursuit of the ultimate ease of operation and the reduction of misshots. In iA mode the camera does all the work, leaving you free to compose shots and capture moments. Just press aim, and shoot. Panasonic's Intelligent Auto now includes new POWER O.I.S.(Optical Image Stabiliser) – a feature that helps prevent handshake even when using high-powered zoom. The new POWER O.I.S clearly captures subjects in the ultra-telephoto range, which used to require a tripod. With twice the shake suppression capability of previous models, the new POWER O.I.S is particularly effective when shooting at night with a low shutter speed for example, whilst also greatly improving the quality of shots taken indoors where a flash cannot be used or where a photographer doesn’t want to use a flash because it would spoil the mood. Thanks to POWER O.I.S, beautiful photos can be taken in situations that previously resulted in blurring. The iA mode is even further advanced with the inclusion Face Recognition*4, a function that "remembers" faces. When a familiar face is recorded several times, the camera will prompt you to register the face. Once complete, if the familiar face appears into your frame again, the camera will display the name you specified for the person and prioritise focus and exposure so that the registered face is bright and in sharp focus. Up to six people’s faces can be registered, and up to three can be simultaneously recognized to show their names once registered. Three images of each face can be registered for every person, to dramatically raise the detection accuracy. And when the angle of view is changed horizontally, the name display also rotates for easier reading. You can also specify the age of the registered subject and have both the name and the age of the subject stamped onto your photos. When babies under 3 years-old are registered, the camera will automatically switch to Baby mode if the baby appears into the frame. In playback, you can choose to display only photos that contain a specific registered face using Category Playback. You can also view image slideshows of only a selected person. Face recognition makes sorting archiving incredibly easy. This advanced face detection system also digitally corrects unwanted red-eye during recording. With AF Tracking, the FZ38 can lock onto any subject and keep it in focus even if it moves - making it easy to get beautiful, clear shots when a great photo opportunity suddenly arises. Simply aim, lock, and shoot. In addition to the advanced functions mentioned above, the iA mode inherits fundamental functions users need in a good digital still camera. These include Intelligent ISO Control, which reduces motion blur by adjusting the ISO sensitivity if the subject moves as the shot is taken. Intelligent Exposure optimizes the exposure for each part of an image, preventing blocked shadows and blown highlights and helping ensure that gradation and details are reproduced beautifully. It now features an automatic backlight compensation function that activates whenever the camera detects the subject is in backlight. Intelligent Scene Selector automatically detects the five most common shooting situations - Portrait, Night Portrait, Scenery, Night Scenery and Macro - and switches to the appropriate Scene mode. Demonstrating it’s true hybrid capabilities, the iA mode is also available in motion image recording.
Paul O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:10 PM   #12

funny enough i actually got the TZ7 after reading the review off that site. The TZ7 took very dull photos indoors where the light was low. This as sarah has now explained was down to it's weak flash. I sold it at a loss of almost £150.

As you can imagine, once you have a problem with a brand, you tend to lose trust in it. I'm worried that the FZ-38 is simply a TZ7, albiet with a super-zoom lens, although sarah has said that its not. This is why i'm this time making sure i get the right one and hope ur not gonna mind the interrogation, lol...sorry.
amateurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:10 PM   #13

Another piece of reading about the iA mode (easy mode)http://www.panasonic.net/avc/lumix/c...5_fz38/ia.html
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:13 PM   #14

No problem I help you best as I can. ( and I don't work for Panasonic either. lol)
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:16 PM   #15

Default Both taken in low light with force flash on.

All I can say it definitely has a stronger flash than the TZ7, I took loads of indoor shots with poor lighting and the results were good.
Attached Images

Last edited by Paul O; Feb 23, 2010 at 7:19 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:16 PM   #16

thank u paul...i'm off to sleep now though as its past midnight. Will chat tomorrow though. If you can post some UNEDITED, FACTORY SETTINGS, WITHOUT ZOOM indoor photos, then i'd be most grateful as i would like to see it's quality. If possible of a dark room or a yellowy room.

take care

cya
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:18 PM   #17

Watch out amateurman-

I am going to start posting excellent indoor photos from the ZS-3/TZ-7 next. Technique, as I am hoping that you are beginning to see does make a BIG difference. That is exactly what we focus on in this folder.

We have a great group and we are all enjoying the learning process.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:20 PM   #18

the problem though sarah is that technique requires time and if i want to do a quick shot of something special, i don't want to be spending 10-15mins tweaking...what would be good is if the FZ38 could allow me to save custom settings of my own choice.

take care

cya
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:22 PM   #19

The fun starts when tweaking your new toy, you'll feel like a kid again.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:24 PM   #20

On the two photo's above you can see the reflection of the flash in the background of how powerful it really is.