Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 23, 2010, 12:29 PM   #1

Default My first attempt in fast moving Photography with the FZ35

My son and friend were jumping on the trapoline and I thought I get some fast moving action and see how Panasonic's FZ35 camera fair in capturing the shots. Here are some of the shots I took today.
Attached Images

Last edited by Paul O; Feb 23, 2010 at 12:32 PM.
Paul O is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2010, 12:33 PM   #2

Let me know what you guys & girls think, any suggestion for improvement is welcome.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 1:36 PM   #3

The exposure is pretty good. There is a lot of motion blur. The one shot has a shutter speed of 1/80 - so it's going to show motion blur. In order to get a faster shutter speed and freeze more of the motion you have a couple choices:
1) set a higher ISO. Rather than let the camera choose, you can adjust it up yourself. If you selected ISO 400 for instance you would have gotten shutter speeds around 1/200. Still a bit on the slow side. You'd probably have to go up to ISO 640. But even ISO 400 would show an improvement.

2) use flash instead. Your other option is to use flash to freeze the action. That's a little trickier. I would try the higher ISO route and see if you like the results before going the flash route. If higher ISO is too noisy we can talk about how you can use flash to freeze the motion..
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 2:00 PM   #4

Hi JohnG, thanx alot for the advice, I will try moving the shutter up to 200 next time and try using the flash in motion shots, thanx again.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 2:30 PM   #5

Nicely done, Paul-

Yes, a higher ISO will force a high shutter speed, or you can go to Shutter Preference and select a specific shutter speed there and the camera will adjust the aperture accordingly.

Adding a forced flash (the single lightening bolt symbol) will open up the shadows nicely and in addition it will add some "pop" to the photo. Just be sure to remain 10 to 12 feet away from your subjects.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 2:32 PM   #6

Great background fills for the pictures! What I mean is I enjoyed looking at the great foliage surrounding the house. Also the house looks good too! It looks like the kids were enjoying a nice day!
skyhawk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 5:15 PM   #7

hi paul,

i'm a noob looking for a nice digital camera too. I must let u know that i was very disappointed with my TZ7 P&S which showed very dark photos indoors. Anyway i sold it at a loss and i'm thinking of buying this FZ35 or shall i say for me FZ38 (UK). My questions are to take the shots above, did you use AUTO MODE or did you have to play about with loads of settings?
amateurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 6:47 PM   #8

Hi amateurman , I had an ordinary digital Pentax, then last year I bought the Nikon L100 super zoom and took it back after reading the awesome reviews and users comments about the Panasonic FZ35. It's a great camera, has HD video. Differences between the FZ35 & FZ38 is the FZ35 can record HD video till the SD card is completely full and the FZ38 only half hour at a time, the camera can be user in fully auto mode or a loads of manual settings at your disposal. There is so much crammed into this little light body.It would be a good choice or you can wait and see what the future market looks like for superzoom camera's if u not in a hurry.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 6:51 PM   #9

i kinda am in a hurry, lol. I've now been looking through the threads on here and the FZ38 photos look great. But what i don't want to end up with is a camera that i'm constantly tweaking just to get a normal shot as i don't have any experience or understanding. At the same time, i don't want to go back to compacts.

I've been looking at the Sony HX-1 which looks great, has all the features, but is an extra 100 dearer too.

God knows if i'll ever decide...damn you TZ7, u've ruined my life!
amateurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:06 PM   #10

What was the problem u had with the TZ7? The FZ35 / 38 is the best of both worlds and you can learn as you go along. Heres a nice review to read & decide: http://www.trustedreviews.com/digita...ix-DMC-FZ38/p1