Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:47 PM   #1

Default Dmc fz28 video modes

Friend has the same model DMC FZ28 purchased weeks apart. She is able to open the file in windows media, I must convert. I have XP explorer and windows media 11. If I email a quicktime her computer opens as Windows Media Player (.mov) Guess the question is would the diff. be a chip in the cameras, or is there a process I might follow to acquire the quicktime from the camera in the media player format. I am able to convert but prefer simply to be able to acquire the .mov format that movie maker accepts.

I have changed the program to windows media to open my quicktime file, but windows media will not recognize.
jackwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2010, 11:05 PM   #2

Jack-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

I believe the difference lies in the computers. Tell us more specifically about the computers being used.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 11:36 PM   #3

Ditto to what Sarah wrote.

Mike
mike_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 8:57 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply will get more details from two others with the FZ28 had only been dealing with one other. Am 79 so have to keep it simple.

Will not ask the age of the two ladies also using the camera.

Should add the FZ28 is great, another senior just got the 35 but really do not see the need to do so.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 1:48 PM   #5

Sarah and Mike, thanks again for the reply. Believe I will go with your comment and ditto and stop right there. Problem getting clips and info but in reading it does appear vista and 7 may treat differently than xp. I have no problem converting quicktime and have an old editing program that will pick quicktime up, no do not have to rely on movie maker.

Jack
Old Feb 24, 2010, 2:31 PM   #6

You're welcome, Jack. I also have a FZ28 and am using Win XP, but I haven't really played around with editing the movies. To be honest, I'm not that crazy about the FZ28's movies (the sound), so I haven't taken many of them.

Mike
Old Feb 24, 2010, 6:11 PM   #7

Mike I agree with you, gave away my camcorder, and not into video but nice to have the FZ28 available for the occasional short video. I am not into HD, used the wide vga. I prefer photos and photo story, here is link to one believe all the photos were from the 28.

http://www.vimeo.com/8852928
Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:43 AM   #8

Jack, I enjoyed watching your photo stories and video. The video of the little munchkin reminds me of the ones my wife watches of her grandkids. Entertaining to say the least!
Old Feb 26, 2010, 9:08 AM   #9

Mike thanks, I will probably use the video on occasion, but sure like the photos from the 28, most in just point and shoot. I did get a call from Panasonic and they concur with the comments that it is the computer, the 28 puts out only Quicktime.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:20 PM   #10

Hi Jack,

I'm nearly as senior as you are and also have the FZ28. I've had lots of cameras and the FZ28 is the quickest and handiest of the superzooms in my opinion. I feel sort of foolish, though, since the reason I bought the FZ28 was the HD video. I find the video to be totally unsatisfactory and I simply don't use it. I like to use video on my quail hunting trips and Yellowstone trips to narrate my impressions of what we're seeing and doing. Sound is important and the FZ28 has terrible sound. The video itself is not very good either.

Still, I love the FZ28. It's so quick and handy into action and can be operated with one hand easily. I use the high speed burst mode a lot in the field but carry a pocket Canon for the videos.

Since video is important to me, I will likely soon own the FZ35,..... unless the new Sony is amazing. I've thought of waiting to see the FZ35 successor but guessing that Pany will join the zoom race and the new one will be much heavier.

By the way, I really enjoyed your photo story. You're good.

Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote