Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 2, 2010, 11:40 AM   #11

GreenBaron-

I surely do agree with you. It is the element of convenience and utility that will make the ZS7/TZ10 popular not the image quality. As long as the image quality is sowhat near that of the ZS3, camera users will be happy. The minority that want to squeeze the most image quality from the camera will indeed find some faults. However, that just happens when you are marketing to the entire world.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 2:35 PM   #12

People expect more and more from cameras (and with reason since technology continuously evolves). When you have an old model that can take 300 pictures with one battery charge, you do not want to buy a new one that will only take 75 shots/charge. Does the new camera do more things than the old one that could potentially increase battery consumption? Yes. Ok, then the battery capacity should have increased, period. The problem is that manufacturers add new features and functionality w/o improving the components that may be affected by them (i.e. more MP and high ISO = larger sensor, more in-camera processing/GPS = larger battery capacity, so on and so forth). There are plenty of camera brands/models that look real good on paper but that's not enough. IMO, just because a camera packs 12x zoom in a small compact pocket body it does not necessarily make it a winner.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2010, 10:28 PM   #13

Any estimate of the release date for the ZS7/ZS5?

Charlie Schmalz
clschmalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010, 12:11 PM   #14

Estimates are somewhere this month, but the online stores over here don't provide a precise date yet.

Gentlemen, we have a serious competitor to the upcoming TZ/ZS.. And in fact it's such an interesting camera, that I might actually decide not to buy the Panny.. That's new

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/2445...cybershot-hx5/

The sony cybershot HX5

It features less optical zoom (25-250mm)
it features no aperture or shutter prio (but it does feature full manual control)
Min shutter is 30s (opposed to 60 from panny)
aperture range is just f3.5 - f5.5
Only half the lcd screen resolution

So what on earth could be great about it?

Hardware:

-Cmos instead of ccd.
Cmos can do faster signal processing, which on this camera allows recording video in full hd, and fast bursts (10fps @ full res, but only 10 picture buffer).

Another big thing about cmos sensors in a compact is that you don't get the nasty vertical stripes in your movie when bright highlights occur.

- Lower pixelcount (10mp) on same size sensor

- Finally, sony allows using sd(hc) cards besides their nutty memory stick system. (although some dark feeling tells me some of the cams advanced features will only be available when using that memorystick nonsense)

- It provides a compass, so it not only records geolocation but also the direction in which the photo was taken. Could prove quite useful with landscape photography.

Modes/fuctions:

- it features a real HDR function, shooting 2 pictures @ different exposure and blending them together. Apparently it's an automatic function to counteract backlight; I'll be interested to see if it can be forced on, like the flash.

- In-cam panorama stitching

- Just 8 scene modes (opposed to the 25 available on the LX3, from which I use only 1, and only since it was added with the latest firmware upgrade)

--------------------------------

Tonnes of new pocket cams enter the market every day, but few provide new features that truly are new, and usefull (meaning you're actually happy they're there). On this point, and only between these two camera's, I think this sony has more to offer then the upcoming TZ/ZS. Didn't expect the day would come that I'd write stuff like this

Last edited by greenbaron; Mar 5, 2010 at 12:24 PM.
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010, 12:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbaron View Post
Gentlemen, we have a serious competitor to the upcoming TZ/ZS.. And in fact it's such an interesting camera, that I might actually decide not to buy the Panny...
To begin with, there is a 2x-zoom difference between the two cameras, which to me is very significant. I'd not buy any P&S with less than 12x zoom (unless, of course, I'm going for something like the LX3 or the S90). To me, 10x is just not enough and is old technology. There are plenty of good 12x+ cameras out there in very compact bodies. The ability to do in-camera HDR or pano-stitch processing is OK (specially HDR) but far from being mandatory (or crucial). The more in-camera processing one does, the quicker the battery will drain. So, if Sony hasn't increased battery capacity, that may become an issue. Besides, I find it very hard to edit photos through a 3" LCD screen (no matter how good the resolution is). Having Manual control is better than no control at all but it is not a good substitute for Av or Sv. Using manual mode one must adjust everything as opposed to simply change the aperture to control DoF or sharpness. So, I really don't see the HX5 as a true competitor of the ZSn. But, that's my opinion.

Tullio
Old Mar 5, 2010, 2:33 PM   #16

I used to be a zoomgeek too; Photography for me started with taking pictures of aircraft (never enough zoom ). I still like a good zoomrange, but the priority has shifted to wideangle. I personally don't care a great deal about battery life; You can take as many spare batteries as you can carry; but you can't change the camera's hardware or features.

I think the profit of an extra f-stop doesn't compete against that of a lower pixelcount on small sensor cams like these. Dof difference between max and min aperture are really marginal (compared to dslrs).

The profit of cmos over ccd however is quite significant; Especially if you like a decent video function like I do

Sony HX5 vs. Panny TZ10; Sony is more meant to be on autopilot, whereas the TZ10 is more inviting to take controls in your own hand. But my question here is, how much difference is it really going to make?

Example, if I take a picture of a flower, and it's going to require a blurred background, perhaps the only compact that will do me something is the panny fz20 which can do f2.8 at full telezoom. In broad daylight i will however need an nd filter, otherwise I can't use the wide aperture. So much to carry, so much effort on an already demanding hike at altitude.. There's my point; When I'm back home, photoshop is waiting for me, and I can blur that background to look like it was taken with a prof dslr; Except I took a little tiger out of my pocket, framed, shot, and continued

The panny TZ10 is awesome; But for quick-shot brilliance, the sony hx5 could excel
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010, 4:05 PM   #17

I certainly agree with some points you made. I don't like too much of AUTO anything because in my experience, camera manufacturers hardly ever tune their "auto pilot" in a way that satisfies my photography taste. I like to have the ability to set the camera to my liking. Obviously we can not compare P&S with DSLRs when it comes to DoF but even though DoF may be less evident on a P&S, it still exists and one can certainly see a difference between f3.5 and f8.

As for battery life, yes, one can carry many spares but, unless you buy non-brand batteries, it will cost a significant amount of money. Some of these proprietary batteries go for $50+. On top of that, you rely on the camera's ability to out perform Photoshop. I seriously doubt they can pack enough code to process anything in-camera that will look better than what you can get via any image editor. So, to me, it's all about marketing. The more items they can add to the list of things the camera can do, the more impressive it makes it look. I personally don't buy into it. If I have to choose between a model that offers P/A/S/M modes but no HDR/pano stitch and a model that offers HDR/pano stitch but iAUTO only, I go for the former The rest I can do via software.

Tullio
Old Mar 15, 2010, 8:16 AM   #18

Gordon over at Camera labs has released his formal review of the ZS7 / TZ10
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Pa.../verdict.shtml
He certainly gives it the thumbs up!
dbnnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:11 AM   #19

Just another opinion-

I compared the Sony HX5 to the Sony TX-7, and not needing much zoom, as this would be a second camera, the TX-7 has a better feature set for my purposes.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:27 AM   #20

dbnnet-

The GPS feature is not high at all on my priority list. Thus, I see GPS as a threat to battery life, and therefore, undesirable. Perhaps I am caught with a stone age mentality. GPS in my car is fine, but I am not so thrilled with it on my camera.

And that is just the market that the Canon SX-210 will target with the adage, why pay for something you probably will not use.

Sarah Joyce