Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:39 AM   #21

Agreed Sarah. I think that reviewers in general (even though I have a high regard for Gordon's reviews),get a bit jaded over time, and place their own personal emphasis on features not necessarily useful/effective in the real world. eg. The majority of reviewers think that iA is really great...

I think that 90% of purchasers of P&S cameras are not enthusiasts or forum dwellers, and will most likely get a nasty surprise when their TZ10 battery dies after a few hours use on a holiday, and no AA's to help.

The old sales and marketing adage is good-better-best, and by fitting GPS to the TZ10 Panasonic has continued to offer good-best. A mid-model TZ9 with HD video, but without the added cost, weight and battery penalty of the GPS would have probably expanded Panasonic's market share even more.

There's another 2c for the pot
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:46 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillgreg View Post
...A mid-model TZ9 with HD video, but without the added cost, weight and battery penalty of the GPS would have probably expanded Panasonic's market share even more...
That's the ZS5, isn't it?

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:56 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
That's the ZS5, isn't it?

TZ8/ZS5 = crippled TZ10

No AVCHD
Smaller LCD
slower max shutter speed only 1/1300
no HDMI
No spot metering
only 15MB internal memory (some competitors now offering
2GB

Sure keep this crippled model at a low, low price, and keep the TZ10 to fend of the competitors, but the mainstream enthusiast market that doesn't want the burden of GPS is stuck between a rock and a hard place. (and add RAW to TZ9 as well).

Then the manufacturer has:

TZ8 = medium sales, low profit per unit = loss leader + market share booster, fend off cheap kodaks etc.
TZ9 = huge sales, medium profit per unit
TZ10 = range topper/ego booster = low sales + very high profit per unit.

Do I need a marketing degree to figure this out???

Last edited by chillgreg; Mar 15, 2010 at 12:00 PM.
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 3:21 PM   #24

Default Video length limitation

I am very glad about finding this forum and have already read a lot of interesting and useful threads here.

Right now I am considering to buy either the new TZ10 or maybe the "bargain" TZ7. My question is about the limitation of the video lenght (not the 2 gig one because of the mov format) out of ridiculous customs reasons here in Europe. As I understand the video will record about 8 min. in mjpeg and the double time in AVCHD Lite format.

Can anybody tell me what happens then? Do one just have to press the REC button to start the next footage or does it take some (troublesome) interruption? I mean, is it possible to get a series of consecutive clips or there will always be interruption in between?

Thanks a lot!
Bon Sneyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 3:25 PM   #25

By the way Cliff Smith is citing in his review in the specs a video length of 15 min. for the TZ7 and 100 min. (!) for the TZ10...

Especially the 100 min. sound strange to me.

Can anybody help me to understand this? Or does it concern the cameras on the American market only?
Bon Sneyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2010, 12:41 PM   #26

Default I just bought the ZS7

And I love it and actually am using it way more than my DSLR, and so far I am really liking the portability, and as far as the GPS goes for me if my Grandpa and Grandma used it for their pictures if they had such a thing i could go to exactly the point where they took them, now that's history! and with all of the genealogy things going on right now, that's a major plus, who knows my ancestors in 100 years will be able to see the plot of land and what is on it now 100 years later and the exact point where i took my pic's!! I love it as far as FAR as a SLR also, all the controls and manual modes and the added plus of 300mm optical zoom, wow!
michaelwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2010, 7:46 PM   #27

Yes I am really liking the ZS7...we travel a lot so the gps is welcome...The IQ is very good for a P&S Compact...fits perfectly for all around application...love the controls and options on it...
Here it is in a ripoffs clip-on case...handy as a "pocket on a shirt"...also I like the dedicated Marine Case for it for Underwater Pic's as they do not make one for the FZ35/38...
Attached Images

LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 11:19 AM   #28

Samples ZS7 in action:
These look soft from loading , I'll upload afew from FlickR and see if they are better...these are really sharp on my computer straight out of the camera...
Attached Images

Last edited by LTZ470; May 10, 2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old May 10, 2010, 11:34 AM   #29

Old May 10, 2010, 11:48 AM   #30

These last ones from Flickr look much better.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote