Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 13, 2010, 2:28 PM   #41

Hi LT,

If you are still after a small camera more suitable for low-light dinner style shooting than the ZS7, have you given any thought to the Fuji FX70/80EXR? I have read in several reviews that it's special 6MP low light mode is exceptionally good. Just a thought from left field...
Cheers
Greg
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 2:34 PM   #42
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillgreg View Post
Hi LT,

If you are still after a small camera more suitable for low-light dinner style shooting than the ZS7, have you given any thought to the Fuji FX70/80EXR? I have read in several reviews that it's special 6MP low light mode is exceptionally good. Just a thought from left field...
Cheers
Greg
I have the f70exr and with the right setup it does pretty well at higher ISOs.

but if you really want to shoot lower light conditions, the Canon S90 is the best at this, fast lens and useable iso 1600 for medium size prints.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 2:45 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post

but if you really want to shoot lower light conditions, the Canon S90 is the best at this, fast lens and useable iso 1600 for medium size prints.
Dustin just out of curiosity - if you had a ZS3 already, but wanted a 2nd small camera purely for the occasional low light social gathering etc, would the Fuji be better suited? If small prints for friends was the main objective?

I understand the accolades the Canon receives are well-deserved, but at anything except full wide then the f2.0 advantage is gone. At comparable focal lengths, wouldn't the Fuji (in low light mode) outperform the Canon (at 1600) for no flash night shots? Such as in a restaurant?

Thanks
Greg
Old May 13, 2010, 2:49 PM   #44
Super Moderator

Quote:
Dustin just out of curiosity - if you had a ZS3 already, but wanted a 2nd small camera purely for the occasional low light social gathering etc, would the Fuji be better suited? If small prints for friends was the main objective?

I understand the accolades the Canon receives are well-deserved, but at anything except full wide then the f2.0 advantage is gone. At comparable focal lengths, wouldn't the Fuji (in low light mode) outperform the Canon (at 1600) for no flash night shots? Such as in a restaurant?

Thanks
Greg
no, the Canon's sensor outperforms the Fuji's at high ISO, irregardless of lens speed.
Old May 13, 2010, 9:57 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
LTZ-

For me, I am waiting to see what Panasonic does with the FZ-35 replacement. Both Panasonic and Canon have what are becoming fast out dated super zooms, in view of the Fuji HS-10.

My husband head off tomorrow morning for a quick 7 day cruise to Alaska contract. But when I get back I am selling my HX5.

Sarah Joyce
Yes Sarah that is a great note! The FZ35 continues to be a favorite with me...I got some great shots down in the creek today...after reading a few reviews on the HS-10 I don't think I would be happy waiting 3-5 secs between shots or even longer after a burst...really hope Panasonic is going to pull a rabbit out of hat for us!!!

Quote:

Thanks Dustin I'll check out the S90...

Last edited by LTZ470; May 13, 2010 at 10:40 PM.
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 12:21 PM   #46

Good decision. When it comes to photography, you should not have to work so hard to convince yourself you bought the right equipment.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 7:55 PM   #47

Quote:
no, the Canon's sensor outperforms the Fuji's at high ISO, irregardless of lens speed.
Thanks Dustin, I always value your advice. Can I ask, have you any experience with the Panasonic LX3? I have a friend, she wants a smallish camera to use for mainly indoor work, family gatherings etc. She already has a medium zoom p&s (not sure what it is) that she shoots her kids at their swimming races, and she is happy with that.

So far I have offered her the advice to look at both the S90 and LX3. I believe they have approximately equal low light/high ISO IQ, but I have been reading quite a few negative reactions from owners regarding the free spinning control wheel on the back of the S90.

Apparently it controls Exposure Compensation, and many are reporting that it is very easily inadvertently moved, ruining shots or causing unnecessary PP later.

Just wanted to know if you or Sarah or anyone else can comment, and make a recommendation between the cameras.

I don't think the difference in size, zoom, or price are major considerations for her.

Thanks
Greg
Old May 14, 2010, 7:59 PM   #48
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks Dustin, I always value your advice. Can I ask, have you any experience with the Panasonic LX3? I have a friend, she wants a smallish camera to use for mainly indoor work, family gatherings etc. She already has a medium zoom p&s (not sure what it is) that she shoots her kids at their swimming races, and she is happy with that.

So far I have offered her the advice to look at both the S90 and LX3. I believe they have approximately equal low light/high ISO IQ, but I have been reading quite a few negative reactions from owners regarding the free spinning control wheel on the back of the S90.

Apparently it controls Exposure Compensation, and many are reporting that it is very easily inadvertently moved, ruining shots or causing unnecessary PP later.

Just wanted to know if you or Sarah or anyone else can comment, and make a recommendation between the cameras.

I don't think the difference in size, zoom, or price are major considerations for her.

Thanks
Greg

well. it does move pretty easily. but i think alot of the reports are blown out of proportion. should it be tighter, yes, but is it a reason to not get the camera, i don't think so personally. when i played with it, it was not a problem.

but the lx3 is a really nice camera too. however, bear it mind it is not as pocketable, because the lens cap is a true cap, and not built in like the canon, and it portrudes forward enough that the camera really is bigger than the canon.

if that is not a problem though, the lx3 is fantastic, and both do excellent if you can live without the zoom.
Old May 15, 2010, 4:48 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
LTZ-

For me, I am waiting to see what Panasonic does with the FZ-35 replacement. Both Panasonic and Canon have what are becoming fast out dated super zooms, in view of the Fuji HS-10.

Sarah Joyce
I'm not so sure I concur with you on the FZ35 being outdated compared to the HS10 Sarah. Firstly due to the fairly large zoom and form factor (size/weight) difference, and mostly due to the IQ.

It would seem that some people are able to get decent shots out of the FS-10, with a fair bit of hard work, but we all know it's pretty hard to get a dud out of the FZ35.

And in light of the latest comparison between the 2 now available via the Imaging Resource Comparometer, the FZ35 is clearly superior in nearly all cases, with much better resolution, and better detail and colour retention at higher ISO's.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

As I've stated before, it will be interesting to see if Panasonic makes the mistake of killing off the success of the FZ18 line; whereas if they release a new model al la FZ50 to combat the FS10, it would make much more sense.
Old May 15, 2010, 7:59 AM   #50

Quote:
well. it does move pretty easily. but i think alot of the reports are blown out of proportion. should it be tighter, yes, but is it a reason to not get the camera, i don't think so personally. when i played with it, it was not a problem.

but the lx3 is a really nice camera too. however, bear it mind it is not as pocketable, because the lens cap is a true cap, and not built in like the canon, and it portrudes forward enough that the camera really is bigger than the canon.

if that is not a problem though, the lx3 is fantastic, and both do excellent if you can live without the zoom.
Greg,

as an S90 owner/user, I agree with Dustin. Some people hate the wheel. It is a bit loose, but I personally find it a minor inconvenience. I chose the S90 over the LX3 for its size and (for me) more useful zoom range. I also like the control ring (and the rear wheel) setup, which makes setting changes for whatever is assigned to them a snap and prevents having to go into the menu system.

I haven't used the LX3, but from all reports it's a great camera also. Depending on one's needs, either would be a good choice.
Jazzer251 is offline   Reply With Quote