Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:18 PM   #11

imut-

shoturtle already beat me with the info. The BEST way to compensate is to use plus Exposure Compensation. Shoturtle's photo sample illustrate that very clearly.

Yes, you can edit a jpeg image up to 1,000 times without image deterioration.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:27 PM   #12

This was a funny topic, I took those photos last friday to explain the same thing to my brother. Life is funny at times.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 11:27 PM   #13

Hi shoturtle

Well I've bitten the bullet and should be getting my new FZ35 tomorrow can't wait!

Just a couple of questions re the snow photos - isn't there a snow scene mode - if so how does this compare?

Secondly. seeing the first photo looks better but has blown highlights, what about trying the Intelligent Exposure at it's different levels?

No snow where I live in Australia, just lot's of sand and kangaroos
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 11:34 PM   #14

Actually you can test that out at the beach also. Sand reflex allot of light also. So the snow scene should work.

I did not need to use 2/3 but it make the post more noticeable. With the overcast skies, 1/3 would have been a better setting. That would have accounted for the blown high lights.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 11:34 PM   #15

chillgreg-

While the Intelligent Auto works quite well on the ZR-1 due to it have a brand new image processor, in contrast, using the Intelligent Auto mode on the FZ-35 is a lot less effective.

Concerning the Snow Mode, it does automatically what shoturtle and I did by using plus Exposure Compensation. I guess you can call us "old school" becuse when we learned photography (more than 55 years ago in my case) everything was done manually.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 3, 2010, 12:21 AM   #16

Hi Sarah

Just Greg's fine

Yes from my experience with the TZ1, and FZ18, I found the scene modes were a bit hit and miss. The one I can remember being most potentially useful, but really a waste of time, was the sports/action mode.

Whoever wrote the algorithms needed to revisit them!

I wonder whether they do revise them for each generation, or just leave them as is...

Greg
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 9:05 AM   #17

I just started dp with fz38 and afaik fz38 presets are not so good and this puts the machine into the status of best for beginners. Because it obligates me to learn more and more, this is a point of view of course but currently i've learned some valuable info.
imut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 12:39 PM   #18

Chillgreg and Imut-

I politely disagree with your statements regarding the Scene Modes on the FZ-35/38. They are re-edited for every new camera, and a large number of them work very nicely.

Yes, it is important to know how to set-up each sunset photo situation manually, but scene modes are effective and useful. Take a look at the attached sunset photo. It was taken with the FZ-35/38's Sunset Scene Mode.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Mar 3, 2010, 3:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by imut View Post
if i am correct pictures #1 and #3 are underexposed.?
I'm happy my post generated so much useful discussion about exposure compensation and scene modes.

For the record, I did know that the shots were underexposed and that this was due to the snow. That was why I said in my initial post that I would have adjusted the exposure compensation, but didn't yet know where the button was to do it . Actually I didn't really try too hard to find it. It's pretty obvious -- guess I was excited to have the new camera out .

I generally don't post first photos indiscriminantly like that, but I think it actually proved to be helpful for discussion in this instance.

Sorry to say, I'm not making much progress with the FZ35 yet, but this is due to a lack of time rather than an issue with the camera. More to come, I hope ...
Jazzer251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2010, 8:55 PM   #20

It was a nice day and I finally got a chance to go out and take some test pics with the FZ35. So far I'm pretty happy with the results. The camera has a lot of features and there is a good bit to learn. Here are some samples from today's outing, resized and a few crops but otherwise not processed.
Attached Images

Jazzer251 is offline   Reply With Quote