Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 2, 2010, 7:12 PM   #11

Ok here they are #1 is the whole loom side view one can see the back beam handle which as well the fibers i have one the back beam holding the warp. I use regular cotton threads of a four ply thickness. You can see as well the treadles in the front near the floor each one will lift one or more of the heddles which are located in the middle...I have a four heddle shed and can add on four more is I wish to One day I will first I need my craft cabin built on the back hill in our yard.

#2 You will see the wire heddles which each one of the width I have chosen are threaded with the cotton thread... each heddle shed which is a frame of so many can hold up to a certain number of heddles mine have I believe was 150 each I can add more but it would be senseless for I have only one reed at this time...and I have yet to work with the thin stuff that a lot of the smaller village people of silk work with.... you can see the back beam as well I wrap with some kind of paper separates the fibers of each turn on the back beam some seem to stick together as well...

#3You can see the fibers of cotton as the are thru the reed and some of the woven cloth One or more threads can be ran thru each dent in the reed which is the opening between the metal slats... and casue I had my son press a treadle you see a open shed the opening that you run the weft thru .... that weft is the yarn on the hand bobbin that lies on the woven cloth.....

#4You can see the closed shed and the hand bobbin laying and the cloth which is blurry...

#5 You can see the front beam which is where the woven fabric is wound among.....some of the pulley system of the headdle shed and some woven cloth.....

Once I got in to weaving my mind really wondered to some of the old stories told as a child... Repenzel, Rumpelstiltskin, Pied piper etc... Repenzel actually had something to do with weaving as she let down her hair it was not her hair it was fiberswhich they call hair for it came from the animals now days its fibers and the love was a small child that would maybe have been a midget whom was the perfect weight for the tension as the wound the fibers on the back beam or beams some of the old looms had more than One beam.... Rumpelstiltskin ha the queen as a great business woman whom knew how to deal with the straw unto her country to make it into gold... the art of trades.... and the pied piper was the old town that had a a little population and when the mines came the rat population grew and when the children of the older generation all died in the mines the pied piper as well took a rat population with them ... when they closed down for it was in an unsafe location.... stories we all need to relearn again and tell our children the truth.....
Attached Images

SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 7:25 PM   #12

Here are a few other things woven.....#1 and #2 is home spun fibers that I dyed pink and jean material stripped

#3 and #4 is a beaded scarf and next time I will bead up on the weft not the warp.... that was tricky my reed was not that wide for beads...

#5 is some purple and royal blue Tencel and white Cashmere as a project to learn by
Attached Images

Old Mar 2, 2010, 7:32 PM   #13

and here are some other of a table loom and a spinning wheel .... there are some whom do this as a trade of business others as a hobby it has a tendency to go either way some like the hand woven in their works of art and others would rather have a machine spin it all up I have worked with sheep goat lama dog rabbit alpaca silk and human fibers as well as tencel which is fibers gotten from trees.... Silk is a hard one to get going on a wheel I have a few coons to break down as well but I can go get any thing over near the university where this shop get all kinds of goods from around the world with good people whom will do good business...
Attached Images

Old Mar 2, 2010, 8:00 PM   #14

Wow, neat shots, SharpShotGal.
mike_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 8:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu View Post
Mike - All these were taken in a village near Kanchipuram; the same place I took the temple photos given in another post in this forum.
Thanks, Raghu. I thought that might be the case. I like to look up places on a map and see where they are.

Mike
mike_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 8:23 PM   #16

I would take my cams to the guild meetings to record for History of the guild I had gotten a few older women that have now since been passed on.. One got to see her cd before she passed away just few days after I took her her family the cd.... Ann Ducker whom taught spinning and weaving and traveled the world for her love of fibers....
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:02 PM   #17

Thank you for the detailed photographs. I appreciate your taking the trouble to patiently shoot and post. I will show these to the weaver I met - I am sure he will be happy to see them too, and the variety of fabric you are weaving. - Raghu
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote