Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 2, 2010, 5:18 PM   #31

I've now set the Flash exposure to 1/3. Now with the camera i can review each photo taken along with it's iso/shutter/aperture settings. To help me choose the best settings quickly, is there a program that can check the Jpgs which i have uploaded onto my pc?

Also clint, ur last photo is great quality, with no yellowy effect and its indoors, yet ur place looks even darker than mine, so what were ur settings for this shot?
amateurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 5:41 PM   #32

My "settings" were made by the camera in the IA mode. The only thing I did was open the flash. This is what the camera chose on its own. If I were you I'd reset everything back to the factory default settings. Then change only one thing at a time. Takes lots of pictures to see the effect. You may have made changes that "counteract" each other.

I use Faststone Image Viewer.
http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm
Attached Images

Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 5:45 PM   #33

my settings have already been set to default.

I have two paint applications - Corel Paint Shop Pro and the FULL Adobe Suite that includes photoshop.

Can i somehow view my jpg camera settings the way you have above? If so, how?
Old Mar 2, 2010, 5:50 PM   #34

Go to the link provided
Download the program.
Install it.
Then double click on the picture you want to view.
When the picture displays, move your cursor to the right hand side and the "info" window should pop up for you.
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 5:52 PM   #35

ahh right...thanks so much. I'm gonna call it an early night, but i will be back on sometime tomorrow and i'll install it. I hope u will be around as i very much appreciate all the help you and other forum members have given me.

chat soon...cya!
Old Mar 3, 2010, 1:12 AM   #36

I'm sorry, OP but considering the fact that you have no experience with the camera and no understanding of the camera settings, may I ask why you are shooting in manual mode? I'd start by setting the camera to P mode. If you are shooting indoors, set the ISO to 400, set flash to forced flash (some times if the camera is set to auto flash and the subject is in front of some light, the camera may think that there is enough light and the flash won't fire. By setting the flash to "forced flash" or "fill flash", you'll guarantee that the flash will fire), set WB to "flash WB" and save the settings into one of the three custom settings available. Then take some shots and look at the images to see what aperture/shutter combination the camera chose. That way you'll start to understand what settings you need to have if shooting in manual mode.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 1:18 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurman View Post
my settings have already been set to default.

I have two paint applications - Corel Paint Shop Pro and the FULL Adobe Suite that includes photoshop.

Can i somehow view my jpg camera settings the way you have above? If so, how?
Check out Picasa (free image editor from Google). It's a very simple but intuitive and efficient program. You can make all sorts of adjustments very easily. If you right-click on an image and go to properties, you'll see the basic camera settings from the Exif data. Picasa is no substitute for Photoshop but it's not nearly as complicated either. It's a good tool for beginners.

Tullio
Old Mar 3, 2010, 4:12 AM   #38

@ Tullio - Hi, i did set it to Manual mode earlier, but since MTClimber told me, i have had it in P mode all the way.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:22 AM   #39

That's a good starting point. As I mentioned, if you look at the Exif data you'll be able to tell what settings the camera is choosing and use those combinations (or somewhat close) later on. I find ISO 400 ideal for flash photography. It increases the flash range significantly and because the flash produces enough light, noise is pretty much non-existent. The FZ38 offers Program Shift mode. Basically, in P mode you can change the aperture chosen by the camera and it will automatically choose the shutter (you must keep an eye on it to make sure the camera can actually accept the new aperture/shutter combo. based on the existing light). This will allow you to have more control over the DoF and/or sharpness very easily.

Tullio
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:56 AM   #40

thanks tullio. You must have by now realised that even though i got the FZ38, in reality i'm just after a ONE-FOR-ALL setting or MINUMUM messing about, unless its a very special shot. How can i enable this "Program Shift Mode"? Also should would selecting this mean that i still would have to mess about a lot with settings to take each photo or would this allow me to take plenty of photos in different environments?

Lastly, I want to take a closeup portrait shot of my baby, but with the background out of focus...what settings would i need to use to do this?