Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 28, 2003, 8:43 PM   #1

Default Prices of the FZ10

Can anyone give me more information as to how they were able to get Ritz Camera to price match? Thanks!
BabyRN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2003, 12:05 PM   #2

After calling Ritz 4 times and getting the exact same reply "we are absolutely forbidden to price match" I decided to give up and move on. I just ordered my FZ10 from J&R.com They price matched the $519 DataVision price and added on $12 shipping and handeling for a total price of $531.00 which includes a free camera case. This should be shipping out next week! The customer service rep I spoke to was very nice. :lol:
Old Nov 30, 2003, 1:35 PM   #3

Heather:

Thanks for posting about J&R, whoim I have found to be very reliable in the past. This is really useful information!

Jack Winberg
jack.winberg@verizon.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2003, 1:55 PM   #4

I'm glad you have had good luck with J&R in the past...I was wondering what I was potentially getting myself into!
Old Nov 30, 2003, 2:49 PM   #5

Ritz Camera is notorious for staffing people who just do not know what they are doing, arent' familiar with their products, or are not familiar with their policies. They must have taken over the young, rookie hires from the local McDonald's market or something. These are definitely not camera knowledgeable (or even retail sales knowledgeable) people. Unfortunately, they are also a very good store to buy from since they have both a significant internet presence and real world stores. They are also one of the very few photography "chain" stairs still in business today. Keep in mind that Ritz and Wolf Camera are also one and the same company, so they're pretty much only competing with themselves.

Anyway, just point the (sorry) idiot answering the phone to the following page on their own (RitzCamera.com) website (it's under their "Help" link):

Ritz Camera Low Price Guarantee

It's a bit ridiculous for them to say they do not price match, when one of the things they brag about in the ad of every camera they sell is that they include "FREE - Low Price Guarantee". That's price matching. Their staff just doesn't know their own website/policies.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2003, 9:53 PM   #6

I went to the URL you listed and although it does show a "price match" it does NOT say that their retail stores will match to an internet store. It only refers to their .com presence. IOW, they want to match internet business to internet business and 'brick & mortar' to 'brick and mortar' While other companies will match regardless, I could not find any mention of that policy in the URL (which doesn't necessarily mean it's not there, just that I didn't find it.)

Charlie
Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2003, 11:04 PM   #7

Sorry, I just assumed you were talking about RitzCamera.com. You do realize that just about anything RitzCamera.com sells is free shipping, no tax, etc. -- it will turn out to be cheaper buying it from their internet store than their real world store, if for no other reason than the tax.
Old Dec 4, 2003, 7:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie46227
I went to the URL you listed and although it does show a "price match" it does NOT say that their retail stores will match to an internet store. It only refers to their .com presence. IOW, they want to match internet business to internet business and 'brick & mortar' to 'brick and mortar' While other companies will match regardless, I could not find any mention of that policy in the URL (which doesn't necessarily mean it's not there, just that I didn't find it.)

Charlie
That's because RitzCamera.com and Ritz Camera (the physical store) are two companies. They are not related to each other in any way, shape, or form, other than the name "Ritz Camera"
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2003, 10:47 AM   #9

Although Ritz Camera (Wolf Camera, etc.) and RitzCamera.com are two different companies, they are still "the same store". Meaning that you can still work with local store on items you purchased from the website. The physical store will not accept returns for RitzCamera.com merchandise, but they will accept exchanges, provide warranty work, technical support, etc. The RitzCamera.com website is obviously signficantly affiliated with the Ritz Camera stores, as they have a store locator on the website, list employment opportunities at the stores, etc. The website and the stores also have the same pricing policies, but the store employees are not always the most informed people, whereas the RitzCamera.com website has centralized policies instead of independent stores scattered across the country. If you refer the Ritz Camera store manager or employee to the website for policy discrepencies, they have to follow the policies that are in writing.

Again, in my opinion, it never pays to do anything more than try a product at a Ritz Camera store -- you should always buy from RitzCamera.com. The internet store offers free shipping, no tax, and has more stock available to them than the local stores. For example, I can assure you that the Ritz Camera stores ran out of the FZ10's before RitzCamera.com did.
Old Dec 4, 2003, 11:40 AM   #10

Default Price-matching at Ritz Online

Apparently, Ritz has been inconsistent with their price-matching on the FZ10. Someone at DPReviews said they'd ordered from Ritz at $535 delivered (matching DataVision including shipping, also matching OneCall including shipping). I called Ritz and they sold it to me for $540 including shipping, and I've now had the camera for 11 days. Other people said they paid RItz anywhere from $515 to $555 on the price match, and a lot of people were told the price was $599 and Ritz would not price match since they were the only ones who actually had stock. Of course, that's no longer true, but now that other places have stock, those others have raised their prices.

Reminds me of an old joke: shopper goes into a grocery store and sees that eggs are $2/dozen. Says to the grocer "Down the street, the price is 50 cents a dozen." Grocer says, "So buy them down the street." Shopper says, "They're out of eggs." Grocer says, "When I'm out of eggs, I'll also sell them for 50 cents a dozen."
Charlie Howard is offline   Reply With Quote