Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 9, 2010, 9:42 PM   #11

Wow this is a very useful thread, I always wanted to do the colour black & white thing, the apple photo looks brilliant.
Paul O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 10:51 PM   #12

In the pentax..K-X, you can do it 'in' camera...pretty cool actually...

Take a pix, extract color and save...you have both the original and extracted color..
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 10:52 PM   #13

I've been dreaming of getting a Pentax K-7 for a while now, but alas I can't afford it, and will be most happy with my new FZ35 I'm sure. The K-7 can do that effect in-camera would you believe! I think the K-x can too.
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 8:45 PM   #14

So, I will be able to do this great feature soon....brother's coming into town this upcoming weekend and is bringing a copy of photoshop for me!! Can't wait.
rtd03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 10:27 PM   #15

rtd-

Please don't be discouraged. There is indeed a learning curve to Photoshop. It is a great software program. However, it takes time to acquire skills. I know because I teach Photoshop Elements and I have observed my students getting used to the program..

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 4:09 AM   #16

The big Photo Shop is supposed to be really complicated. Unless you plan to be really dedicated, you might want to consider something simpler like Photo Elements (mtclimber may have some advice about that).

I use Photo Elements 2 & that has taken me years just to learn the rudiments of that program. My experience has been that starting out with too complicated of a program is discouraging because it can easily become overwhelming & one simply can become lost in it. In addition, when doing experimental work, you will need to have a pretty good/powerful computer to run it adequately. (Again, mtclimber may have some advice here.)
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:30 PM   #17

sdromel brings up so very good points. Photoshop Elements is now up to Version 8.0. As you might expect, the program has expanded in size and its utility. Version 8.0 requires Windows XP and above and a fairly large supply of memory if you are going to get into very detailed photo editing.

Simple adjustments, of course, require far less memory. Learning a program like Photoshop Elements is a progressive thing. Begin with establishing a common or basic workflow, so that there is a regular routine of things that are adjusted. Build the workflow from the basic adjustments to the more complex.

Don't be frustrated. You have to learn and expand on that learning at your own pace. Also please keep in mind that some folks really enjoy photo editing, and some could care less. Both points of view are valid.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote