Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 8, 2010, 12:52 PM   #1

Default Changing Color in Pics???

So I just got my new FZ35 and am really wanting to learn how to use it. I'm considering taking some classes but still not sure. Does anybody know if there is a way to add color to only certain objects in a picture and keep the rest black and white?
rtd03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2010, 1:18 PM   #2

Actually a piece of cake! I'll have to try it myself.

Let's say you have a PIX that contains a scene of someone holding a rose flower in their hand & you want a BW but the rose to remain colored/unaffected. You should be able to do this a couple of different ways. Later on Ill try to dig up something to work with to present how it looks.

- use the magnetic lasso to capture the rose & use "invert" & then make the rest of the PIX B&W (ie, remove color option).

or

- Make the PIX BW then capture the rose with the lasso & make it the color you want

I actually used this idea the other day to process a PIX I took a few weekends ago in Long Beach. My daughter was sitting inside a canopy lounge chair. The scene lighting was adequate for everything but my daughter as she was too dark because of the canopy. So I lassoed just her in the PIX & adjusted the brightness for the lassoed portion & wha-la, a great PIX. You couldnt tell that any adjustment was ever made at least by looking at the PIX.

Addendum
Attached is an example I did quickly. First is an original PIX I took from POTD on this site. I then quickly lassoed the apple & used the "invert" then "remove color". (Note: I did not spend a lot of time accurately lassoing the apple as this is just a proof of concept example.)

Addendum 2
Just had to add this last PIX to show that sometimes just a simple touch can produce a surprising overall effect. I just added a simple straight forward "texture (canvas)" available from the filter menu & autographed it in honor of Steve.
Attached Images

Last edited by sdromel; Mar 10, 2010 at 5:58 PM. Reason: Adds sample PIX
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 1:35 PM   #3
Super Moderator

in photoshop there is a couple different ways.

if you say want to keep all yellow colors and make everything else black and white. go to select-color range. then use the eyedropper on the yellow, you can play around with the fuzziness to get just the colors you want. now you will need to invert it. you can either click the button for invert in the color range tool. or simply make your selection and then later go to select-inverse. now you just go to ajustments-black and white. and desaturate the rest of the picture. this method works best with bold similar colors, it can get confused when the colors have gradients in them or switch colors gradually.

as mentioned in sdromel's post, you can also use the magnetic lasso, this is best if you just want one object to stay in color and the rest go black and white. just use your magnetic lasso to trace around the object you wish to stay in color until you get it nice and close. then go select-inverse. then go to adjustments-black and white.

there are other means to this end, but i use these the most.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 1:44 PM   #4

thanks for the responses thus far but there are a few problems.... I'm extremely new to photography. I've never owned a camera before. The only programs I have for picture editing are the two that were included with the purchase of the camera, including dilkypix developer studio and MediaImpression 2
Old Mar 8, 2010, 1:51 PM   #5
Super Moderator

i am not really familiar with mediaimpressions, but i would imagine it would at least have some version of selection tools, or some selective coloring feature, most software does. but exactly where it is in the menu or how it exactly operates, you would need someone that uses that software to help you.

photoshop elements is pretty cheap right now (79$) and there is a free trial. it is quite a powerful program for that price and will do about 90% of the things a photographer would use out of the more expensive Photoshop CS4.
http://www.adobe.com/products/photos...?promoid=BPDEM
Old Mar 8, 2010, 2:09 PM   #6

That's Great!!! I want to be able to do that but I don't know what you mean by lasso? How do I get to that feature? Can I do it on the camera or do I have to do it on the computer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdromel View Post
Actually a piece of cake! I'll have to try it myself.

Let's say you have a PIX that contains a scene of someone holding a rose flower in their hand & you want a BW but the rose to remain colored/unaffected. You should be able to do this a couple of different ways. Later on Ill try to dig up something to work with to present how it looks.

- use the magnetic lasso to capture the rose & use "invert" & then make the rest of the PIX B&W (ie, remove color option).

or

- Make the PIX BW then capture the rose with the lasso & make it the color you want

I actually used this idea the other day to process a PIX I took a few weekends ago in Long Beach. My daughter was sitting inside a canopy lounge chair. The scene lighting was adequate for everything but my daughter as she was too dark because of the canopy. So I lassoed just her in the PIX & adjusted the brightness for the lassoed portion & wha-la, a great PIX. You couldnt tell that any adjustment was ever made at least by looking at the PIX.

Addendum
Attached is an example I did quickly. First is an original PIX I took from POTD on this site. I then quickly lassoed the apple & used the "invert" then "remove color". (Note: I did not spend a lot of time accurately lassoing the apple as this is just a proof of concept example.)
Old Mar 8, 2010, 4:40 PM   #7
Super Moderator

you do it computer. in your image editing program.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 6:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
i am not really familiar with mediaimpressions, but i would imagine it would at least have some version of selection tools, or some selective coloring feature, most software does. but exactly where it is in the menu or how it exactly operates, you would need someone that uses that software to help you.

photoshop elements is pretty cheap right now (79$) and there is a free trial. it is quite a powerful program for that price and will do about 90% of the things a photographer would use out of the more expensive Photoshop CS4.
http://www.adobe.com/products/photos...?promoid=BPDEM
Unfortunately Mediaimpressions doesn't, and I just checked the Silkypix manual, and couldn't see any references there either.

I use Elements myself, and highly recommend it. FYI Elements can upload directly into your Flickr account, even creating a new album in the process!
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 11:03 PM   #9

Thanks for all the help!
Old Mar 9, 2010, 11:21 AM   #10

You can find earlier versions of Photoshop Element, such as Elements 6.0 that are greatly discounted for around $(US) 35 to 40.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote