Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 9, 2010, 2:07 PM   #11
Super Moderator

my 2 cents on the social group use.

i think it is a place for more social type talk. and less technical or photography talk that could benefit everyone that happens to visit the boards.

and the photo gallery is a nice addition, where any photos you may post here in the regular board can be placed in that gallery as well, to keep a running log of photos from the various models.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 2:33 PM   #12

Jack -

Many thanks for backing up the point I was attempting to make. Our discussion area has to be right here in the Panasonic P+S folder. Otherwise, we will be shooting ourselves in the foot.

We all have worked very hard to make this a very active folder. Clearly, we have the most lively FZ-35 discussion group among the major websites. If we are not careful in how this is orchestrated, we could possibly loose a very valuable facility that all of us make use of daily.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 3:23 PM   #13

Default Social Group usage ideas

Hi

Thank you Jack, Sarah and Super Dooper Moderator Hards80 (wish we knew your first name!) for your input. I agree with these sentiments wholeheartedly, and Sarah you are right of course, it is easy to see the enormous amount of effort yourself and others have put into this folder. Apart from the convenient and communal aspect of the group page, it makes a lot of sense to keep things centralised on the main thread.

I'd like to reiterate from a personal perspective, that different forums have different styles, if not by design then by virtue of the different types of folks that visit, and perhaps even more relevantly the general calibre and tone of the conversations. I admit that when I first discovered Steve's, I was pleasantly surprised by the respect, friendliness and genuine enthusiasm shown by people to each other here. This is not the norm these days, unfortunately. At DPR, Pentax Forums, and also several other non-photographic forums I belong to, bickering and aggressive posts are depressingly commonplace. So Steve's is like a breath of fresh air, and we need to spread the word!

So that said back on topic!

I titled this post "Social Group usage ideas" because at this early stage, that's exactly what they are. As I said in another post, with my experience in software and computers (not always a good thing believe me, I'd much rather be good at photography!), I saw an opportunity for us to utilise the extra features that Steve's has generously built in to this site. But they are only of any benefit if they add value to the existing discussion, right?

Perhaps it's worth considering that the Social Group concept becomes much more of an effective asset once the numbers build up. Can you imagine with say another 1000 members how it might evolve? It's not that far-fetched really, seeing the millions of people worldwide that are looking for help with their (increasingly complex and confusing) cameras. They just haven't found Steve's yet!

So it is a fluid thing, it might fade away tomorrow, or become a really vital adjunct to the main thread. There are no hard and fast rules or protocols, except that one person is the Group Administrator (by design), and at the moment that's me. There is a feature that allows this to be transferred to another member, and I would like to do that should this become popular - I am a "noob" here and others might do a much better job than me!

I'll finish this post here, and put some suggestions of my own in my next reply.

Last edited by chillgreg; Mar 9, 2010 at 3:30 PM.
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 4:17 PM   #14

Thanks very much, Greg-

That puts me at ease. As everyone has noted, we are fortunate to have a very good thing going for ourselves here in the Panasonic P+S folder. I would like to see us build on what we have, even expanding the numbers in our group.

I salute everyone in our group! You have made this a very informative and sharing group situation. I am very proud of how everyone has reached out to provide a really warm spirit of helpfulness, friendliness, and sharing. Indeed we are very fortunate!

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 9, 2010, 5:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnnet View Post
All this elitism from the FZ owners : Next thing we will have all the SZ or
LX owners (without a group of their own) claiming discrimination because
they have much smaller lenses than the FZ owners
Well you do have little lenses but BIG sensors...
Old Mar 9, 2010, 5:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Thanks very much, Greg-

That puts me at ease. As everyone has noted, we are fortunate to have a very good thing going for ourselves here in the Panasonic P+S folder. I would like to see us build on what we have, even expanding the numbers in our group.

I salute everyone in our group! You have made this a very informative and sharing group situation. I am very proud of how everyone has reached out to provide a really warm spirit of helpfulness, friendliness, and sharing. Indeed we are very fortunate!

Sarah Joyce
Excellent Sarah, I'm very glad.

When I named the group for FZ owners, obviously that was because I just got my new FZ35 (I don't get tired of saying that).

But do you think that we would be better served renaming it to just the Panasonic P&S Owners Group? (bugger those DSLR snobs!)

If you think this is a good idea we'll need to ask our favourite moderator Hards80 to help out, because I can't change it.

Then down the track, if we get enough members and the demand is there, people can set up their own sub-groups as they see fit.

Boy we can sure show those "other-brand" people a thing or two!!!
Old Mar 9, 2010, 5:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMI View Post
I am soooooo happy I am eligible to join this group!!!! This is just another FZ ownership reward
Double ditto Steve! Now spread the word and send invites to all your friends!
Old Mar 9, 2010, 5:39 PM   #18

No, Greg-

I think it is fine to leave the group name the way it is. By the way, Hards real name is Dustin. I hope that he will not be miffed by my revealing that fact.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 9, 2010, 5:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
No, Greg-

I think it is fine to leave the group name the way it is. By the way, Hards real name is Dustin. I hope that he will not be miffed by my revealing that fact.

Sarah Joyce
No worries Sarah, it'll stay reserved for us FZ people then

Thanks for Hards80's name too, his moniker is a bit of a mouthful!

you told me dust in time! (ode to Clint )
Old Mar 9, 2010, 5:49 PM   #20

Greg,

I think I saw a post by you on another forum for a small tight carrying case for the FZ35.

This is not what you were asking about but it's what I use. It's very light, fairly protective and quick donning. I just put it around my neck when I'm bird hunting or at a Little League game.

http://www.adorama.com/searchsite/de...H%20D%20OFFSET

I do have a belt pouch that is pretty nice. I bought several of them on ebay for my kids for about $5 each but I can't find the source now. It may have even been on eBay Europe. They have the various camera names on the bags, Canon, Sony etc, but are all the same bag.

Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote