Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 9, 2010, 5:54 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setter Dog View Post
Greg,

I think I saw a post by you on another forum for a small tight carrying case for the FZ35.

This is not what you were asking about but it's what I use. It's very light, fairly protective and quick donning. I just put it around my neck when I'm bird hunting or at a Little League game.

http://www.adorama.com/searchsite/de...H%20D%20OFFSET

I do have a belt pouch that is pretty nice. I bought several of them on ebay for my kids for about $5 each but I can't find the source now. It may have even been on eBay Europe. They have the various camera names on the bags, Canon, Sony etc, but are all the same bag.

Jack
Hey Jack, thanks for the great tip, I'll have to look into that.

So when is your new FZ due?
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 8:08 PM   #22

Hi Greg,

Amazon gave an estimated shipping date of 15 March but Iíve found they usually beat that by several days. Iím going to have some fun comparing the FZ28 to the FZ35. In my camera store tests, it was very obvious that the IS has been improved tremendously. Iím sure I can see that in a direct comparison of what settings the two cameras select, especially at long zoom.
The improved focus during zoom was very obvious in the store. In fact, it was perfect.

The only challenge I see is figuring out if I like the AVCHD movie mode and can handle it in Picasa and making DVDs. Catching the memories is the main thing for me and my fallback position is the MJPEG video mode.

Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 8:24 PM   #23
Super Moderator

Quote:
The only challenge I see is figuring out if I like the AVCHD movie mode and can handle it in Picasa and making DVDs. Catching the memories is the main thing for me and my fallback position is the MJPEG video mode.
well you can always shoot in AVCHD format to save card space.

if you find that you cannot handle it in Picasa, you can use FFDshow (open source, free) to convert it and then do your editing.

i think ffdshow-tryouts is the newer versions.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 9:10 PM   #24

Thank you for the invite and looking forward to watching this exciting group grow.
Paul O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 10:21 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O View Post
Thank you for the invite and looking forward to watching this exciting group grow.
You're most welcome Paul, glad to have you on board!
Old Mar 9, 2010, 10:25 PM   #26

Quote:
Hi Greg,

Amazon gave an estimated shipping date of 15 March but Iíve found they usually beat that by several days. Iím going to have some fun comparing the FZ28 to the FZ35. In my camera store tests, it was very obvious that the IS has been improved tremendously. Iím sure I can see that in a direct comparison of what settings the two cameras select, especially at long zoom.
The improved focus during zoom was very obvious in the store. In fact, it was perfect.

Jack
Man I bet you can't wait! I remember the last couple of days before I got the FZ, but after I'd decided to get it, were hell!

Don't stress about the video either Jack - while AVCHD may be a bit of a pain at the moment, as Dustin (Hards80) is right, converting videos is the way to go. Then you can have the best of both world's, the quality and long recording time of the camera in AVCHD, and an easy to handle video format on your PC. I will be doing extensive testing soon enough; my initial recommendation is to convert to .avi (DIVX or XVID) format, which can be read by most standard DVD players these days. Don't worry I'm sure there will be plenty of follow-up on this one.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 11:44 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillgreg View Post
Man I bet you can't wait! I remember the last couple of days before I got the FZ, but after I'd decided to get it, were hell!

Don't stress about the video either Jack - while AVCHD may be a bit of a pain at the moment, as Dustin (Hards80) is right, converting videos is the way to go. Then you can have the best of both world's, the quality and long recording time of the camera in AVCHD, and an easy to handle video format on your PC. I will be doing extensive testing soon enough; my initial recommendation is to convert to .avi (DIVX or XVID) format, which can be read by most standard DVD players these days. Don't worry I'm sure there will be plenty of follow-up on this one.
Just a heads up for those folks who (like me) have a Western Digital TV Live HD Media player in their home theater setups. The WD TV and WD TV Live media players can play AVCDH files straight from the FZ-35 natively and they look great. I have played a few now and have been pretty happy. Info on the media players (which are wonderful by the way) can be found here:http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=735
YukonJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 12:16 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonJack View Post
Just a heads up for those folks who (like me) have a Western Digital TV Live HD Media player in their home theater setups. The WD TV and WD TV Live media players can play AVCDH files straight from the FZ-35 natively and they look great. I have played a few now and have been pretty happy. Info on the media players (which are wonderful by the way) can be found here:http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=735
This looks like a good option for playing the AVCHD videos on the TV, but can't that be done by just attaching a mini HDMI cable?

All this is greek to this old boy. I'll eventually settle on the absolutely most simple program to show the AVCHD clips on TV and bring them into Picasa. If I don't find something that does that, I'll just shoot in MJPEG, which I'm already equipped to handle.

Thanks for this suggestion YJ, this is certainly an option.

Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 12:46 PM   #29

Quote:
.....but can't that be done by just attaching a mini HDMI cable?
Yes... Absolutely. I bought a Panasonic 1.5m HDMI cable (HDMI to HDMI Mini)
and I have it with me all the time .... quick and easy to connect to any LCD
TV no mater where I am. Highly recommended!
Regards
dbnnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 12:59 PM   #30

Wow, I only joined Steve's Digicams web site yesterday and today I found your offer to become a member of the "Panasonic FZ owners Group".
It just so happens that I am very interested in purchasing a P FZ35 Lumix and find your forum a prayer answered.

What do I have to do to become a member? I am not a Panasonic owner yet but am very interested in the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35. I have researched and reviewed camera's for many hours over a long time when I stumbled on the P FZ35 by accident. The more I studied the pro's and con's about this digi the more I liked it, specifically what you got for the price and what the cam offers for this price.

I know it is a bit soon for me to ask favours but I would be ever so greatful if someone that owns the camera mentioned above could send me a picture taken from a bird on a branch etc. perhaps taken from a 20 feet distance (or more?) My buying decission rests on this physical evidence a lot.
Thank you.

Calendula
Calendula is offline   Reply With Quote