Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 11, 2010, 6:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R. View Post
Sarah, I've seen a number of your "sundowner" pics over the last few days, and I keep wondering, especially over the last two shown in this thread, whether those colour tones can still be described as natural. No offense - I mean, those are really beautiful shots, and the composition is excellent in both cases - but do they really reflect what you saw there, live? The reds seem over-cooked (a term borrowed from a DP Review test of my old Finepix S5100 when shooting at high ISO), the blues seem almost antarctic. And obviously, inbetween the two, you get a vivid purple. So where is the green? Is this the doing of the automatic sunset scene on the Panasonic?

Really, no offense intended, it's just "too intense" for my liking, so I'd like to be warned ahead of time, if this is the white balance that the sunset scene produces.

(Paul, those first few shots look like they could have been taken from Goodwood/Parow/Bellville - or am I mistaken?)

Regards,
Mark
Sculptor Henry Moore said "Art is the expression of imagination, not the duplication of reality."
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 9:37 AM   #12

That's a cop-out, Greg, and you know it.

The scene modes on cameras are supposed to enhance images to make them look more life-like, not more imagination-like (or psychedelic, for that matter).

My question remains - back to you and Sarah.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 11:55 AM   #13

Super Moderator Mark is correct-

The issue I was attempting to illustrate here is simply this: sunsets, in particular, are like art. Everyone sees them a bit differently, just as we all adapt/react to art differently. So what pleases one person may not please everyone in the audience.

We will each have our "style." My sunsets are more like the first one in that series of three. It was taken from the back deck at our house. It is much more muted color-wise, but that does not mean that that is the best way, or the only way of interpreting sunsets. Sunsets are sort of subjective. And as a result you will, over time, develop your own style of sunsets..

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 4:14 AM   #14
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Super Moderator Mark is correct-

The issue I was attempting to illustrate here is simply this: sunsets, in particular, are like art. Everyone sees them a bit differently, just as we all adapt/react to art differently. So what pleases one person may not please everyone in the audience.

We will each have our "style." My sunsets are more like the first one in that series of three. It was taken from the back deck at our house. It is much more muted color-wise, but that does not mean that that is the best way, or the only way of interpreting sunsets. Sunsets are sort of subjective. And as a result you will, over time, develop your own style of sunsets..

Sarah Joyce
So is the shot from Hawaii not yours either?

Please be aware of copyright issues and also getting praise for someone else's work isn't good. Do you have permission to use Satire23's photo in your classes as again this might cause a copyright issue?

As a general note to anyone reading this, please only post your own photos or make it clear if you have used someone else's, and then only do so if you have the entitlement to do so, if not please post a link.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote