Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 10, 2010, 11:43 AM   #1

Default New FZ35 (almost) owner

Dear all,

After my trusted Fuji Finepix S5100 was stolen a few weeks ago, and miss it I will, I did much research into current superzoom compacts and bridge cameras. I finally came to the conclusion that the FZ35 was to be my new camera. Not having seen a review on Steve's digicams, I sort-of clicked away, not ever considering to look into the forums!

I then surfed across to Gordon Laing's review on cameralabs.com, where I saw the forums and bumped into "dbnnet", who seemed knowledgeable on this specific camera, and what made him/her even more sympathetic: he/she's from South Africa too!

(As is Paul O from Cape Town - naandsê Paul!)

So, while I'm still awaiting my new FZ35, I thought I'd introduce myself here, and thank dbnnet for the cross-reference to this forum.

I've had a look through the Panasonic P+S folder, and it seems that dbnnet was perfectly right when he/she wrote to me in a private message: Steve's is a popular hangout for FZ38/35 users. They seem to gravitate here...

Well then, now there's one more! I hope to have the new camera by next week, and will complete my introduction by way of a few pictures.

I have taken note of what most of you say: that the FZ35 can actually be made to perform much better by working in programmed-auto mode, rather than the (not-so-)intelligent auto mode. In this respect, my old Finepix was quite reliable in it's auto mode, so I've become quite lazy. I'll obviously have to take the time to discover everything that the FZ35 has to offer.

That's it for now - glad to have found this nook of the internet!

Regards from Pretoria, South Africa,
Mark
Mark R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2010, 11:45 AM   #2

Wow, another FZ 35 owner! Congrat! I have just heard (seen, too) so many great things about this camera! I am sure you will enjoy it. Hope to see a few photos soon. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 11:48 AM   #3

Wow, truly an international selection of viewers. Greetings Mark.
What countries are represented?
I've seen South Africa, Finland, Australia, India, Suwanee :-)
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 12:44 PM   #4

Hi Mark nice too have you with us, dbnnet is a guy from Durban. As for the FZ35, you won't be sorry it's an excellent camera. Gordon's review made me decide to make that purchase, had too much trouble and bad photo's with my Nikon L100, so I returned it and replaced it with the FZ35. Plenty of info here and a very nice bunch of FZ35 users.Cheers Paul
Paul O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 12:56 PM   #5

Mark, Hi - Pleased to see you have joined up....and met up with Paul too.
Now we have Atlantic Ocean, Indian Ocean and No Ocean all represented
But Clint501 has no ocean either.... so is in good company too
....and I see Eetu has lake
Päijänne .... but I can't even pronounce that!!!!
Regards

Last edited by dbnnet; Mar 10, 2010 at 1:04 PM.
dbnnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 1:49 PM   #6

Hi there, Mark-

Welcome to the Forum and to the Panasonic P+S folder. We're delighted that you dropped by and say hello.

As you have already seen, we have a very active and friendly Panasonic FX-35/38 group here in the Panasonic P+S folder. Listening to the conversation in this thread, I guess I can be called the Pacific Ocean representative, as I live along the Pacific Ocean shoreline in Oregon.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Mar 29, 2010 at 10:50 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 3:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnnet View Post
Now we have Atlantic Ocean, Indian Ocean and No Ocean all represented
Well, I had THAT one coming...

But to save my honour, I must say that I'm originally a Natalian (to the rest of the world: East Coaster), and studied for 4 years close to Cape Town, and my parents are retired close to CT as well, so the coast is close to my heart.

Pretoria, however, is where the job is. (Which pays for the insurance, which in turn pays for (at least part of) the FZ35.)

Well, looking forward to sharing many pics, tips and tricks, jokes and all good things!

Regards,
Mark
Old Mar 10, 2010, 5:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Hi there, Mark-

Welcome to the Forum and to the Panasere onic P+S folder. We're delighted that you dropped by and say hello.

As you have already seen, we have a very active and friendly Panasonic FX-35/38 group here in the Panasonic P+S folder. Listening to the conversation in this thread, I guess I can be called the Pacific Ocean representative, as I live along the Pacific Ocean shoreline in Oregon.

Sarah Joyce
Hey don't forget about meeee! Brisvegas (capital of Queensland) is 1 hour north of the famous Surfers Paradise/Gold Coast, which is on the Pacific Ocean. It has also been host to a round of the US Indy/Cart racing series for about 15 years.
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 2:17 PM   #9

Hello Mark. I live in the Uk and have recently joined the group. But I will be coming to your neck of the woods in October for a three week trip. We've planned to take a Pelagic seabird/whale watching trip between the 6th and 8th October if you would be intereested in giving your new camera a work out let me know!

all the best

Jo

PS living in Norwich I suppose I could almost represent the North Sea!
kittykat23uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 5:54 AM   #10

Hey Mark you get your fz35 yet or should I ask have your made your choice yet?
Paul O is offline   Reply With Quote