Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 13, 2010, 3:49 AM   #31

Short and simple : for you how want just simply "convert that puzzling Panasonic AVCHD format into something readable with basic editing options" Id recommend
Imtoo mpeg encoder ultimate

In demo - I mean free - mode , you can conver just half of your clip , but its for trial use , If you like it you can get full version.

here are some pics how it looks

hrvoje xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 1:24 AM   #32

Thanks for the tip!
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 7:06 PM   #33

Default AVCHD to Panasonic DVD writer

I was pleased to discover today that my new FZ35 will play AVCHD directly into my Pany HD DVD writer, which goes into the high def TV. The DVDs I make will be non blu ray of course, but the videos and stills on the TV are stunning.

Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 7:06 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Sorry, I just couldn't resist, given your post about it. But, at least I didn't leave it set that way (although I was tempted to leave it that way until you saw it, I just grabbed a screen capture instead).

IOW, I figured you'd have a sense of humor (considering your post about it) and enjoy the "poke" in good fun. ;-)
umm, Jim, it's just changed and says I'm now a Senior Member??? I've only been at Steve's for 3 weeks! I could be Phil Askey undercover Worst of all, people might expect be to be mature and worldly now. I'd rather stay Juniori!
Old Mar 16, 2010, 8:57 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joho View Post
Here is my opinion and advice:

I still use windows XP and I do not have a BlueRay player - but I am very very happy with the AVCHD files from the FZ35 and I can do with these files all the things I want to.

I tested the Photofunstudio supplied with the camera and found it terrible.

Based on recommendations in the web I bought Vegas Movie Studio 9 Platinum Edition (about 70 bugs - that are well spent). Vegas allows you to import AVCHD lite files directly from the FZ35 onto your computer and into the editing program (open Vegas, connect your FZ35, klick 'import from AVCHD camcorder' - and in a couple of minutes you have hours of AVCHD footage on your PC - ready for editing).
Once you have imported in Vegas - you can edit - and !very important! you have a tremendous variety of output options - whether you want to play later in a windows media player, in quicktime, on an iPhone, whether you want to burn it to a CD, a DVD or a BlueRay disc, whether you want to upload it to the web, or send it as an e-mail attachment - all this can be selected and the program will give you the correct output options. So there is no problem any longer with not having the right media player on the PC for AVCHD or not enough power on your computer to actually handle the AVCHD files - you just render in the format that suits you.

So I think this is great - because the program seamlessly cooperates with the FZ35 and gives you great options for working with the AVCHD footage (the 70 bugs in my opinion are worth it). (By the way - you can initially check out a trial version of Vegas before spending the money - and don't get discouraged because the program looks so complicated on first glance. I can certainly give advice here how to use it - and then it is a lot of fun.)

When you create your own movies in HD quality you generate huge files (mine are about 200-500 MB for 2-5 minutes video). So you can not just attach these videos to e-mails in this high quality. The way to go is to use either youtube or - my suggestion - vimeo.

You can register with vimeo for free and you nevertheless have the option to upload every week 500 MB of HD quality video. Of course - these might be very private movies of your family or friends. Vimeo respects your privacy. When you upload a video you can select different options regarding the availability of your video in the web. For my family and friends videos - I use the private option and limit access with a password. You can e-mail the link to the uploaded video and this password to your family and friends - so they will be able to see the videos and even download them if you selected this option - but nobody else.

I think this is great.

In vimeo you can create groups - where people come together to share their videos - just like here with the pictures. There is an AVCHD light group with several FZ35 owners posting their stuff. It is a small and nice community - just like here.

There is for example Xavier, who shows us beautiful videos from the island where he lives: www.vimeo.com/10026038

- or Jyri - a polish musician and song writer - who shares his own music videos with us: www.vimeo.com/9343859

If you are interested in using the video options of your FZ35 - why not joining us at vimeo.

Let me point out that this is not SPAM. I am just excited about the video options of the FZ35 - using them to a full extent with vegas is fantastic and showing the results on vimeo and getting feedback is very motivating and encouraging.

I have the Vegas 9 platinium edition, but never done any conversion yet, i'll try and see what happens!
The question is that when converting to other format using Vegas, the image quality remains the same? or the IQ decrase?
And finally.. What's the best output format to play the AVCHD in a dvd player? MPEG2?
Thanks!

Last edited by Edufloyd; Mar 16, 2010 at 9:00 AM.
Edufloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 1:50 AM   #36

Default Shark007 Windows 7 Codecs are excellent

NOT SPAM

This is the codec pack I am using, it allows Windows Media Player and Windows Media Centre to play all video formats.

Unlike some other Codec packs, you don't need to use another 3rd party video player if you don't want to. To me that's a plus, as I like to keep my system as simple and (bug) hassle free as possible. Being able to play everything through a single media player seems logical to me.

It plays AVCHD videos from Panasonic cameras smoothly and with no conversion needed.

I've tried the others, but like the simplicity of this one - it doesn't include VLC or other media players, and has heaps of complicated settings behind the scenes if you like to play with that stuff, but I just installed it with the recommended and default settings, and it works 1st time. (without having to get a rocket science degree) PS I did go into the setup and turn on unsharp mask, it makes standard def DVD's or video files look sharper, almost as if they have been up-scaled)

It's spam and spyware free, but does ask if you want to install Bing toolbar - you have to uncheck this if you don't want it, as it is defaulted to Yes.

They also have Vista Codecs and a forum too, so it seems to be a well-supported product.

http://shark007.net/win7codecs.html

PS It also enables thumbnails in windows explorer for mkv, flv's etc, which is really cool

Last edited by chillgreg; Mar 21, 2010 at 2:01 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 6:18 PM   #37

Default AVCHD lite on Picasa

www.cccp-project.net/

I just downloaded this free program and it plays AVCHD lite perfectly in Picasa. I have been happy with MJPEG until now but the AVCHD sound is MUCH better so I'll switch now that I can use Picasa.

There is nothing to do but download the program. If you leave everything set up as they offer it, there is no converting or other fun things required.

Jack
Old Mar 26, 2010, 7:05 PM   #38

http://www.cccp-project.net/
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 10:12 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setter Dog View Post
www.cccp-project.net/

I just downloaded this free program and it plays AVCHD lite perfectly in Picasa. I have been happy with MJPEG until now but the AVCHD sound is MUCH better so I'll switch now that I can use Picasa.

There is nothing to do but download the program. If you leave everything set up as they offer it, there is no converting or other fun things required.

Jack
Cool, thanks for that very handy info Jack. A question: do you think that infers that the "Dolby Digital Stereo Creator" is only operational when using the AVCHD mode? I can't recall reading anything about this limitation in the Panasonic literature.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 10:24 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillgreg View Post
Cool, thanks for that very handy info Jack. A question: do you think that infers that the "Dolby Digital Stereo Creator" is only operational when using the AVCHD mode? I can't recall reading anything about this limitation in the Panasonic literature.
Yes,.....I don't know where I read that, but I did. The difference is very obvious in playback.

I don't think Pany states it outright, you have to read between the lines.

Jack