Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 26, 2010, 10:30 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setter Dog View Post
Yes,.....I don't know where I read that, but I did. The difference is very obvious in playback.

I don't think Pany states it outright, you have to read between the lines.

Jack
Thanks Jack, How's things with you? Are you having lot's of fun with your FZ35? Does it feel like a weight off your shoulders after so much deliberation? (as it did me) I guess your family are loving the vids of the Little League games too.
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 10:53 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillgreg View Post
Thanks Jack, How's things with you? Are you having lot's of fun with your FZ35? Does it feel like a weight off your shoulders after so much deliberation? (as it did me) I guess your family are loving the vids of the Little League games too.
Yes, having a blast with the FZ35. What a camera! I even took a couple of panoramas today.

I haven't taken a lot of video yet but will tomorrow morning when our Giants meet the Dodgers. I get really good video grabs from this camera. Must be the excellent OIS and the lens itself.

I haven't had any second thoughts about this camera. I'm thinking it may be the last of the lightweight superzooms,......for me, nothing else compares.

Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 3:35 PM   #43

Default Wow - this thread just got a mention at Amazon!

http://www.amazon.com/review/R27MSYN...wasThisHelpful

Which is a great time to remember, even if you start a separate thread to discuss anything AVCHD related, please place a reference post back here for convenience.

It's great to know that the renewed activity and enthusiasm at Steve's is getting noticed on the rest of the internet
Old Apr 12, 2010, 3:40 PM   #44

Default Another discussion on AVCHD:

Hi

Another discussion on AVCHD:

FZ35 video sample
Old Apr 12, 2010, 3:45 PM   #45

Default Another discussion on AVCHD:

Hi

Another discussion on AVCHD:

Rendering AVCHD
Old Apr 12, 2010, 3:50 PM   #46

Default This post continued at Easy handling of AVCHD lite files with Sony Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joho View Post
Here is my opinion and advice:

I still use windows XP and I do not have a BlueRay player - but I am very very happy with the AVCHD files from the FZ35 and I can do with these files all the things I want to.

I tested the Photofunstudio supplied with the camera and found it terrible.

Based on recommendations in the web I bought Vegas Movie Studio 9 Platinum Edition (about 70 bugs - that are well spent). Vegas allows you to import AVCHD lite files directly from the FZ35 onto your computer and into the editing program (open Vegas, connect your FZ35, klick 'import from AVCHD camcorder' - and in a couple of minutes you have hours of AVCHD footage on your PC - ready for editing).
Once you have imported in Vegas - you can edit - and !very important! you have a tremendous variety of output options - whether you want to play later in a windows media player, in quicktime, on an iPhone, whether you want to burn it to a CD, a DVD or a BlueRay disc, whether you want to upload it to the web, or send it as an e-mail attachment - all this can be selected and the program will give you the correct output options. So there is no problem any longer with not having the right media player on the PC for AVCHD or not enough power on your computer to actually handle the AVCHD files - you just render in the format that suits you.

So I think this is great - because the program seamlessly cooperates with the FZ35 and gives you great options for working with the AVCHD footage (the 70 bugs in my opinion are worth it). (By the way - you can initially check out a trial version of Vegas before spending the money - and don't get discouraged because the program looks so complicated on first glance. I can certainly give advice here how to use it - and then it is a lot of fun.)

When you create your own movies in HD quality you generate huge files (mine are about 200-500 MB for 2-5 minutes video). So you can not just attach these videos to e-mails in this high quality. The way to go is to use either youtube or - my suggestion - vimeo.

You can register with vimeo for free and you nevertheless have the option to upload every week 500 MB of HD quality video. Of course - these might be very private movies of your family or friends. Vimeo respects your privacy. When you upload a video you can select different options regarding the availability of your video in the web. For my family and friends videos - I use the private option and limit access with a password. You can e-mail the link to the uploaded video and this password to your family and friends - so they will be able to see the videos and even download them if you selected this option - but nobody else.

I think this is great.

In vimeo you can create groups - where people come together to share their videos - just like here with the pictures. There is an AVCHD light group with several FZ35 owners posting their stuff. It is a small and nice community - just like here.

There is for example Xavier, who shows us beautiful videos from the island where he lives: www.vimeo.com/10026038

- or Jyri - a polish musician and song writer - who shares his own music videos with us: www.vimeo.com/9343859

If you are interested in using the video options of your FZ35 - why not joining us at vimeo.

Let me point out that this is not SPAM. I am just excited about the video options of the FZ35 - using them to a full extent with vegas is fantastic and showing the results on vimeo and getting feedback is very motivating and encouraging.
This post continued at Easy handling of AVCHD lite files with Sony Vegas
Old Apr 12, 2010, 4:11 PM   #47

Default A tip to find even more helpful information on AVCHD

A tip to find even more helpful information on AVCHD:

As this "Sticky" thread was started relatively recently, there is a wealth of additional information and discussion on the AVCHD format in Steve's Forums.

It is very easy to find this, just use the Search feature found at the top right of your screen. It will search whichever forum you are in (eg This is the Panasonic/Leica forum)

Or if you search from the top-level Fourm's home page, it will search all brand forums at once.

Here are 2 links to get you started:

Enjoy your stay and feel free to join and ask any questions you may have
Attached Images

Old Apr 19, 2010, 5:55 PM   #48

Default AVCHD supported by Flickr now!

I haven't got to the stage of actually uploading my FZ35 movies yet, firstly cause I don't use Picasa, and mostly because I haven't shot anything worth showing yet!

But obviously it's a very popular topic at the moment, and I have been following posts regarding the various issues people are having with this format.

So I was surprised to see that Flickr (apparently) now supports M2TS native AVCHD files.

Here's a list of the file formats we accept:
  • AVI (Proprietary codecs may not work)
  • WMV
  • MOV (AVID or other proprietary codecs may not work)
  • MPEG (1, 2, and 4)
  • 3gp
  • M2TS
The player controls and indicators are:
  1. Play
  2. Pause
  3. The progress bar shows the caching of the video stream. You can also click and drag to rewind or skip ahead
  4. Volume
  5. HD Video (when available)
  6. Expand to Full Size
  7. At Full Size, Collapse to previous size/context
http://www.flickr.com/help/video/#1907

I'll report back when I've tested it.

Cheers
Greg
Old Apr 25, 2010, 3:49 PM   #49

Hi,
Last year make this video in Germany, on a FZ 38

Have fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8dUVCm1H8Y
LeonDorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 6:38 AM   #50

Hi guys.
Ive just joint as i got my FZ38 a few weeks ago. I used to have a TZ7 last year but have been shooting AVCHD for two years now (not suture why its still called a new format).
Anyway, i wanted to pass on a tip for getting the best out of Vegas (but this might apply to other software as well).
The lumix cameras record at 25fps (or 30fps for NTSC) but output at double that for some reason.
When using Vegas its very important to set the project to match the media. So for PAL you set it to 50fps (or Double Pal as they call it).
Why? because Vegas will re sample the footage when it renders it and you will get a ghosting on fast moving images. For an example see the Leons video posted above (no offence Leon, just trying to help).
Either pause it at the beginning as he zooms out or at 1min 10 secs (just two examples) and you will see what im on about.
The other way of stopping this is to disable smart re sample in Vegas. You do this by right clicking on each clip but this can be a pain and easily to forget.

I hope this helps someone.

Dave.
fliplip is offline   Reply With Quote