Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 10, 2010, 4:55 PM   #51

Default Another possibility for AVCHD -> DVD

DVDirect® DVD Recorder MC6

This sounds really interesting. Using an SD card, it will create a DVD either MPEG2 for playing on DVD players, or AVCHD/H.264 for playing on Blu-Ray players. I believe that only the latter uses full HD and Dolby surround sound. It also has a built-in 2.7" screen and creates menus and chapters.

Now the only caveat is, it is designed to work with Sony products. ie if you have one of the new Sony HX range camera, just pop in either a memory stick or Sd Card and off you go. Additionally through its input ports, apparently it can convert your old (non-copyright) VHS movies to DVD as well!

I'm posting this here, because we all know that getting the AVCHD files from our wonderful FZ35's (and ZS7) is a bit of a pain. So because this device supports AVCHD, I'm wondering if it might actually be compatible with an SD card from a Panasonic camera, or via the HDMI cable. The only difference that I can gather from my limited research so far, is that some Sony cameras record 1080 24mbps AVCHD, whereas the Panny's use the 720p 19mbps AVCHD Lite. But more importantly, this is just a specification - all AVCHD is actually recorded using the H.264 codec.

So perhaps someone wants to email Sony, or better still take their FZ35 into a Sony Style shop and do a test. Currently my local Sony Style store doesn't stock this item, although they can order it in.

If this worked it seems it would be a viable and well priced alternative to mucking around on a PC (although the files could be tranferred to your PC from the DVD for archiving or uploading), and more importasntly, since it is fast and portable, if you are at an event or relliebash, you can have a pack of cheap blank DVD's in your bag, and leave people (or even sell!) with a DVD with menus and chapters by the end of the event! Awesome!!!

I'll be interested to what people think if this.

Greg

PS It is listed on Amazon too with 20/33 5-star reviews (4 avg)

Amazon
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 5:09 PM   #52

Im not sure i would say its a pain getting video off a SD card. Its just a drag and drop and its done.
I can also put the SD card in my Media streamer or PS3 and play the files directly from the card.
It does look like a nice product though.

Dave.
fliplip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 8:57 AM   #53

guys i found a way to turn the avchd lite into a good useable avchd format:
http://tools.twanwintjes.nl/index.php?page=avchdcoder

just try and enjoy
Unisol Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 9:02 AM   #54

It looks interesting but cant understand why it says you can convert .m2ts and .mts to AVCHD? They already are AVCHD.
Old May 17, 2010, 9:11 AM   #55

hmm you got a point there
i use it to convert 50gb of blu-ray to like 9gb dual layer dvd without quality loss
Old May 17, 2010, 9:22 AM   #56

It does seem to be just a GUI or front end for a lot of freeware but they are good apps so i expect its worth downloading.
Old May 17, 2010, 9:42 AM   #57

@ fliplip

its not just a gui i happen to know the maker(good friend) and the program itself is coded with his own mind, yes it uses so freeware filters,decoders,encoders.
but the process done by the program itself is completely his work and coding
artwork is done by me
Old May 17, 2010, 9:48 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unisol Photography View Post
@ fliplip

its not just a gui i happen to know the maker(good friend) and the program itself is coded with his own mind, yes it uses so freeware filters,decoders,encoders.
but the process done by the program itself is completely his work and coding
artwork is done by me
Yeah, sorry. i was a bit harsh on it. I can see its more than just a pretty interface.
Old May 17, 2010, 9:56 AM   #59

no problem flip
i'd like to call it an all in one solution
Old May 18, 2010, 10:32 PM   #60

Whenever I dump the contents of a memory card from one of my cameras to computer, I go through the following process:

- Contents of card (video or photo) get cataloged to a master HD (the contents of which never get touched, just for long term storage — the HD is backed up daily to a secondary on-site HD and monthly to another HD for off-site storage).

- I import COPIES of the files into my video or photo management applications (the libraries of each of these applications are stored on yet another HD) for organizing, tagging, editing, etc.

But, this is my first time dealing with AVCHD (via a DMC-TS2) and I'm unsure exactly what I should be archiving as the "original footage"? I use Final Cut Pro for working with the footage, but again, based on the contents of the SD card when I attach it to the computer, I'm unsure of exactly what files I need to keep for long term storage. The contents of the card are as follows:

- DCIM -> 100_PANA (I know folder contains still photos)
- MISC
- PRIVATE -> AVCHD -> AVCHDTN -> THUMB.TDT & THUMB.TID
- PRIVATE -> AVCHD -> BDMV -> INDEX.BDM & MOVIEOBJ.BDM
- PRIVATE -> AVCHD -> BDMV -> CLIPINF -> [a bunch of .CPI files]
- PRIVATE -> AVCHD -> BDMV -> PLAYLIST -> [a bunch of .MPL files]
- PRIVATE -> AVCHD -> BDMV ->STREAM -> [the actual .MTS files]
- PRIVATE -> AVCHD -> IISVPL -> [a bunch of .VPL files]

Do I just need to archive the .MTS files? Or, are other files are the card going to be required when I need to pull this footage from my archives in the future and I want to work with it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Kristin.
theboyk is offline   Reply With Quote