Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 8, 2011, 1:47 PM   #71

and on the desktop... vlc media player plays it fine..
theironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2011, 1:48 PM   #72

if the pc is not capable of playing HD videos.. guys please please download BS player its free and 10MB in size.. it actually splits the video and audio codec in diffrent streams and releaves lot of load off the system...

i was able to play a 8gb 1080p video off a celeron processor with 1gb ram and no GPU

else vlc media player or K-lite codec pack (( again all free )) they play every format knows to us...

not sure bout WDTV but my XTREAMER played it flawlessly....
theironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 9:03 PM   #73

I've been researching this AVCHD stuff since I got my FZ35. I have a dumb question. If I download a program that can convert AVCHD into a different format, will the output file be larger than the original AVCHD file?

I'm just trying to figure out if it would even be worthwhile to even use AVCHD if the output format is much larger than the original file. When I was originally looking at the FZ35, the idea of AVCHD sounded good being it had smaller files.
JayC_783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 9:32 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayC_783 View Post
I've been researching this AVCHD stuff since I got my FZ35. I have a dumb question. If I download a program that can convert AVCHD into a different format, will the output file be larger than the original AVCHD file?
It depends on what type of file you convert the to (avchd) file to. You could possibly convert it to a lower resolution divx, the outputted file would be a lot smaller than the original.

Quote:
I'm just trying to figure out if it would even be worthwhile to even use AVCHD if the output format is much larger than the original file. When I was originally looking at the FZ35, the idea of AVCHD sounded good being it had smaller files.
What are you trying to do with the avchd file? Are you unable to use (keep) it as a avchd file?

My Flickr

Joe Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 1:56 PM   #75

I only had the chace to test with one movie... i just got my FZ40...

I used the software that came with the camera (dont remember the name and im not home... ill check later) and one movie AVCHD with maximum quality... 28s -> 45Mb.

I can play the original file with media player without any problem (Win XP)

But the same software i used to copy the movie from camera mem card to PC hard drive, allow me to save it in MPG format and the original file with 45Mb, became a 30Mb .MPG

I dont know if this helps in anyway... I see ppl with lots of issues with this file format but for me it was quite simple... just used the brand software.

Greetings
Rui Marques

Last edited by rpmarques; Mar 24, 2011 at 2:00 PM. Reason: spell check
rpmarques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 6:00 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bananas View Post
It depends on what type of file you convert the to (avchd) file to. You could possibly convert it to a lower resolution divx, the outputted file would be a lot smaller than the original. What are you trying to do with the avchd file? Are you unable to use (keep) it as a avchd file?
Well, I haven't done much yet. When I first got the camera I took a short test video in the AVCHD format. I have Windows XP (SP3) and when I took the MTS file off the card I couldn't do anything with it. I was looking at AVCHD on Wikipedia and there was a link to a free program call Avidemux. I haven't downloaded it yet, but I was wondering if it would even be worth it. I'm just wondering if I convert a file from AVCHD to something else if the file size will increase dramatically.

Does the Photofun Studio software that comes with the camera convert AVCHD files or do anything with them?
Old Mar 24, 2011, 6:12 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayC_783 View Post
Does the Photofun Studio software that comes with the camera convert AVCHD files or do anything with them?
I just posted that before you

I did save the MTS file in MPG format with it. The 45Mbyte MTS became a 30Mbyte MPG file.

I dont have the software here now, but i just used the "Save As" option and choose the output format... but not sure on this... I will check as soon as I get home and I will post the steps to get it

Greetings
Rui Marques

Last edited by rpmarques; Mar 24, 2011 at 6:16 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 9:11 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmarques View Post
I just posted that before you

I did save the MTS file in MPG format with it. The 45Mbyte MTS became a 30Mbyte MPG file.

I dont have the software here now, but i just used the "Save As" option and choose the output format... but not sure on this... I will check as soon as I get home and I will post the steps to get it
Sometimes I wonder if I'm blind. I gotta pay more attention. Thanks for the reply.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 10:35 PM   #79

Even easyer than I was saying... just need to click the "Edit Video" on top and choose Convert MPEG2

Greetings
Rui Marques
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:04 AM   #80

Default Files won't play. Help!!

I bought the Lumix TS2 for a beach vacation and didn't bother loading the accompanying CD because I already use other software to organize/edit pics. I didn't realize that you needed their PhotofunStudio software to edit the movies.

Well, I moved all the jpegs and movie files to my computer once I figured out the convoluted path to find the movie files. BIG MISTAKE!! Evidently, you are ONLY supposed to get your movies onto your pc by using their software. I found this in the user manual on the cd: "Do not delete, change or move the files (extensions .cont/.m2ts/.tmb/.iis etc.) or folders related to the copied AVCHD/AVCHD Lite motion pictures using Explorer or similar. It will make it impossible to play back or edit." WHAAAAT!!!??? I went back into all my memory cards and moved the accompanying folders and content so everything is all together, hoping the system will match up the needed files to open the movies. Nope.

I just now copied all that back onto my biggest card, thinking the camera itself could make it work. Nope.

Any ideas? Pleeeease? You'd think this info would have been printed in BOLD all over the quick start up instructions, since previous movie fiiles (ie Quicktime movies, etc.) didn't require multiple other files to make them work. I would just use Explorer to copy the MVI file and the THM files and be done with it. GRRRR!
deniseack is offline   Reply With Quote