Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 29, 2010, 7:52 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joho View Post
Hi skylark,

the AVCHD Lite files are directly imported into Vegas Movie Studio and you can edit them without previous transcoding into a different format.

For burning on a standard DVD you can choose DVD-NTSC or DVD-PAL as the output option in Vegas Movie Studio. The created file can be burned on DVD by the DVD architect that comes with Vegas Movie Studio. However, I prefer Nero for that - because the architect is somewhat complicated.

Looking at other videos from the FZ35 that are posted for example on youtube I have certainly the feeling that Vegas handles the AVCHD lite files very well - and produces great quality output files.

Joho
Sounds like what I hoped to find in a slideshow / video editor. I purchased and edited with Vegas prior to Sony buying it and liked how it worked. But that version is too old and cannot handle the modern video files like AVCHD.

What's your opinion of the minimum CPU and graphics card to use for Vegas Movie Studio? Manufacturers usually list really slow systems as the minimum and often they are not really adequate so opinions from actual users are usually more helpful.

Thanks a lot for your info,
Skylark
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 1:55 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post
What's your opinion of the minimum CPU and graphics card to use for Vegas Movie Studio? Manufacturers usually list really slow systems as the minimum and often they are not really adequate so opinions from actual users are usually more helpful.
I can't give you any numbers for the minimum requirement. I run it on a dual core notebook with 2.26GHz and 3 GB RAM. On this system Vegas runs smoothly and very stable. Although it slows down a little bit when Outlook is checking my mailbox - so it probably runs very close to the limit of the machine. (But I have to admit that I usually load about an hour of AVCHD lite footage on the time line - which is of course somewhat demanding.)

Some of my stuff on vimeo (all shot with an FZ-35):
The tree: www.vimeo.com/11345662
with LC55 macro lens: www.vimeo.com/13884313
Zeeland: www.vimeo.com/14488204
The old mill: www.vimeo.com/14577326
autoHDR: www.vimeo.com/15797552
soccer kids: www.vimeo.com/17208358
christmas lights: www.vimeo.com/17912783

Joho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 2:12 PM   #23

How do you make a video brighter after recording it in low light. The video is clear and everything but dark, just need to brighten indoor low light that I do at functions. thanx.
Paul O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 2:52 PM   #24

Quote:
Sounds like what I hoped to find in a slideshow / video editor. I purchased and edited with Vegas prior to Sony buying it and liked how it worked. But that version is too old and cannot handle the modern video files like AVCHD.

Thanks a lot for your info,
Skylark
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...tudiope/sysreq
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 4:17 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O View Post
How do you make a video brighter after recording it in low light. The video is clear and everything but dark, just need to brighten indoor low light that I do at functions. thanx.
It is no problem to adjust brightness, contrast and saturation in an editing/rendering program such as Vegas Movie Studio.

Some of my stuff on vimeo (all shot with an FZ-35):
The tree: www.vimeo.com/11345662
with LC55 macro lens: www.vimeo.com/13884313
Zeeland: www.vimeo.com/14488204
The old mill: www.vimeo.com/14577326
autoHDR: www.vimeo.com/15797552
soccer kids: www.vimeo.com/17208358
christmas lights: www.vimeo.com/17912783

Joho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 6:22 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joho View Post
I can't give you any numbers for the minimum requirement. I run it on a dual core notebook with 2.26GHz and 3 GB RAM. On this system Vegas runs smoothly and very stable. Although it slows down a little bit when Outlook is checking my mailbox - so it probably runs very close to the limit of the machine. (But I have to admit that I usually load about an hour of AVCHD lite footage on the time line - which is of course somewhat demanding.)
Thanks for sharing your Vegas experience.
Skylark
Old May 29, 2010, 6:32 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillgreg View Post
Hi chillgreg,

I did see those minimum system requirements. Just that I've seen posts in the past where users say they have jerky playback and responders recommend getting a more powerful system. I'll definitely test using a trial version first but wanted to get input before starting since trial versions have time limitations.

I discovered that Cyberlink Power Director 8 can also edit AVCHD files without rendering first (per wikipedia) so I'm gathering data on it too. It is the top recommended video editor at toptenreviews.com.

Thanks much for your input,
Skylark
Old May 29, 2010, 6:49 PM   #28

Hey Sky

I wouldn't pay any attention to Top Ten Reviews...useless as tits on a bull... :-)

I know what you mean about the specs though, can you tell me what yours are?

Cyberlink isn't bad, but it's I hear a lot more positive reviews on Vegas. Joho makes some amazing vids with it too. I'm going to try it myself soon.

Cheers
Greg
Old May 29, 2010, 7:23 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillgreg View Post
Hey Sky

I wouldn't pay any attention to Top Ten Reviews...useless as tits on a bull... :-)

I know what you mean about the specs though, can you tell me what yours are?

Cyberlink isn't bad, but it's I hear a lot more positive reviews on Vegas. Joho makes some amazing vids with it too. I'm going to try it myself soon.

Cheers
Greg
My desktop is a P4, 3GHz, 2GB ram, ATI 9600 pro graphic card, running WinXP Pro. This is where I want to do video editing. I probably need to upgrade it or do you think it will work?

I have a Dell Studio 1537 laptop which would be more suitable but is less comfortable to use. It has a core2 duo, T6400, 2GHz with 4GB ram, Vista 64 bit. I'm pretty sure it would work but a bit unweildy.

Sky
Old May 29, 2010, 7:59 PM   #30

Quote:
My desktop is a P4, 3GHz, 2GB ram, ATI 9600 pro graphic card, running WinXP Pro. This is where I want to do video editing. I probably need to upgrade it or do you think it will work?

I have a Dell Studio 1537 laptop which would be more suitable but is less comfortable to use. It has a core2 duo, T6400, 2GHz with 4GB ram, Vista 64 bit. I'm pretty sure it would work but a bit unweildy.

Sky
Depends on a couple of factors - I know Cyberlink supports hardware acceleration via the graphics card, but not sure about Vegas. Does your laptop have a 3D video card? Most probably does being that recent/

One common solution to make better use of a laptop is to get an LCD monitor, plus USB keyboard and mouse, very cheap these days/ I just got a 24" Benq Full HD monitor for $228 aussie dollars...

The desktop might handle it, but XP does not have many of the video goodies that Vista and 7 do, particularly support for directx 9. P4 is about 1/10th as powerful as the Core2 Duo...4GB RAM is very good too. Even if PC physically works, it will probably be hellishly slow...like hours compared to minutes for some operations.

I just upgraded my PC from Vista to Windows 7, it's MUCH better and faster and more reliable...general consensus is that Vista sucks...:-) I also got a new ATI 5770 video card, and if software supports hardware acceleration (which is becoming the latest big thing), then you can see a 10X increase in speeds for video-related tasks. Also IE9 which is coming out will support HTML5, which is also hardware accelerated internet browsing, so a good card now will be future proof to some extent. Video cards are not just for playing games anymore...

Last edited by chillgreg; May 29, 2010 at 8:06 PM.