Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 11, 2010, 12:58 PM   #1

Default Easy handling of AVCHD lite files with Sony Vegas

Hi, I posted this already in the sticky thread on AVCHD - but since a single posting gets burried very rapidly - I open a new thread on using Sony Vegas or Vegas Movie Studio for handling of AVCHD lite files. It is a very convenient way to edit and render the AVCHD footage from the FZ35 - so some of you may want to give it a try - if any problems arise or you have questions on how to use Vegas - you can post it here.

Here is my opinion and advice:

I still use windows XP and I do not have a BlueRay player - but I am very very happy with the AVCHD files from the FZ35 and I can do with these files all the things I want to.

I tested the Photofunstudio supplied with the camera and found it terrible.

Based on recommendations in the web I bought Vegas Movie Studio 9 Platinum Edition (about 70 bugs - that are well spent). Vegas allows you to import AVCHD lite files directly from the FZ35 onto your computer and into the editing program (open Vegas, connect your FZ35, klick 'import from AVCHD camcorder' - and in a couple of minutes you have hours of AVCHD footage on your PC - ready for editing).
Once you have imported in Vegas - you can edit - and !very important! you have a tremendous variety of output options - whether you want to play later in a windows media player, in quicktime, on an iPhone, whether you want to burn it to a CD, a DVD or a BlueRay disc, whether you want to upload it to the web, or send it as an e-mail attachment - all this can be selected and the program will give you the correct output options. So there is no problem any longer with not having the right media player on the PC for AVCHD or not enough power on your computer to actually handle the AVCHD files - you just render in the format that suits you.

So I think this is great - because the program seamlessly cooperates with the FZ35 and gives you great options for working with the AVCHD footage (the 70 bugs in my opinion are worth it). (By the way - you can initially check out a trial version of Vegas before spending the money - and don't get discouraged because the program looks so complicated on first glance. I can certainly give advice here how to use it - and then it is a lot of fun.)

When you create your own movies in HD quality you generate huge files (mine are about 200-500 MB for 2-5 minutes video). So you can not just attach these videos to e-mails in this high quality. The way to go is to use either youtube or - my suggestion - vimeo.

You can register with vimeo for free and you nevertheless have the option to upload every week 500 MB of HD quality video. Of course - these might be very private movies of your family or friends. Vimeo respects your privacy. When you upload a video you can select different options regarding the availability of your video in the web. For my family and friends videos - I use the private option and limit access with a password. You can e-mail the link to the uploaded video and this password to your family and friends - so they will be able to see the videos and even download them if you selected this option - but nobody else.

I think this is great.

In vimeo you can create groups - where people come together to share their videos - just like here with the pictures. There is an AVCHD light group with several FZ35 owners posting their stuff. It is a small and nice community - just like here.

There is for example Xavier, who shows us beautiful videos from the island where he lives: www.vimeo.com/10026038

- or Jyri - a polish musician and song writer - who shares his own music videos with us: www.vimeo.com/9343859

If you are interested in using the video options of your FZ35 - why not joining us at vimeo.

Let me point out that this is not SPAM. I am just excited about the video options of the FZ35 - using them to a full extent with vegas is fantastic and showing the results on vimeo and getting feedback is very motivating and encouraging.

Some of my stuff on vimeo (all shot with an FZ-35):
The tree: www.vimeo.com/11345662
with LC55 macro lens: www.vimeo.com/13884313
Zeeland: www.vimeo.com/14488204
The old mill: www.vimeo.com/14577326
autoHDR: www.vimeo.com/15797552
soccer kids: www.vimeo.com/17208358
christmas lights: www.vimeo.com/17912783

Last edited by Joho; Mar 11, 2010 at 1:07 PM.
Joho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2010, 1:10 PM   #2

Default Vimeo vs YouTune?

Can you advise what are the benefits of Vimeo over YouTube please?
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 1:24 PM   #3

I cannot judge whether vimeo is indeed 'better' than youtube - because I never uploaded anything to youtube. It is more a matter of personal taste. When I visited the vimeo site for the first time I found it very appealing - the stuff picks for example and the groups on different genres. When I watched some featured videos - some turned out to be visual revelations. I was never attracted in this way when I entered the youtube site.

Old Mar 13, 2010, 3:37 AM   #4

Ive used (and am using,for that sake )everything said here , Ill be short;

Vegas - video software with plenty of options , but its so complicated! I dont understand it , they made it so difficult to operate.Importing video files , thats piece of cake , I meant real video processing , adding captions , slow motions , I cant find anything of that.

To make something like this..Ok , adding music clips , I get that. But mixing more video clips, no I cant find it.
In past, Ive used Windows movie maker(with avi or wmv files), I must admitt it was much simple . To be honest , that program isnt half "strong" as Vegas , but still...

Youtube - ive used it alot.easy to upload , add tags , no restricitions besides 10 minutes which is ok.

vimeo - 500 mb file , one file a week?why did they do that?
You can find many interesting clips on that page , but why the hack they have that stricht limit..
hrvoje xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 8:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrvoje xyz View Post
Ive used (and am using,for that sake )everything said here , Ill be short;

Vegas - video software with plenty of options , but its so complicated! I dont understand it , they made it so difficult to operate.Importing video files , thats piece of cake , I meant real video processing , adding captions , slow motions , I cant find anything of that.

To make something like this..Ok , adding music clips , I get that. But mixing more video clips, no I cant find it.
In past, Ive used Windows movie maker(with avi or wmv files), I must admitt it was much simple . To be honest , that program isnt half "strong" as Vegas , but still...

Youtube - ive used it alot.easy to upload , add tags , no restricitions besides 10 minutes which is ok.

vimeo - 500 mb file , one file a week?why did they do that?
You can find many interesting clips on that page , but why the hack they have that stricht limit..
Is this meant as a statement that Vegas is too complicated for you - or do you want me to explain the things you didn't find???

It is not one file a week that you can upload to vimeo - you can upload many files as long as you do not exceed the 500 MB file limit. If you want to upload more you have to pay for it - the reason for that is obvious - the people at vimeo have to make their living from that.

Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:08 AM   #6

I posted another video taken with the FZ35 and edited in Vegas Movie Studio on vimeo.

www.vimeo.com/10340672

Enjoy it.

Old Mar 30, 2010, 9:02 PM   #7

I agree that Vegas has a steep learning curve. Does anyone know if Ulead-11 works with AVCHD lite files to edit and produce a show with them?.

My buddy likes Ulead-11 and says the new Ulead-X2 is awful. I may splurge for Ulead-11 if it works.
Chris0383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 11:15 AM   #8

I have never used Ulead.

But I just posted another video on vimeo edited in Sony Vegas.

www.vimeo.com/10590284

Old Apr 2, 2010, 7:19 PM   #9

Ulead is history. I just got Cyberlink Power Director Ultra up and running on Win-7 and I'm impressed. Files are quite big though after rendering but the quality is amazing.

Corrected via Acheron's note: Thanks Acheron for pointing that out.

Last edited by Chris0383; Apr 3, 2010 at 7:00 AM.
Chris0383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 12:53 AM   #10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris0383 View Post
Ulead is history. I just got Sony Power Director Ultra up and running on Win-7 and I'm impressed. Files are quite big though after rendering but the quality in amazing.
PowerDirector is by Cyberlink. Great software for beginners.
Acheron is offline   Reply With Quote