Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 14, 2010, 8:34 AM   #1

Default Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35/38 - Regional Differences Analysis

Hi

Over time I have seen many potential and current FZ owners agonising over the differences between the regional models in the FZ series. Between different model numbers, different regions, and different product manuals, Panasonic certainly likes to keep us guessing (that's the glass-half-full viewpoint).

In this mission-critical and scientifically-compiled document, my extensive and laborious research has revealed the following differences between models:

Source: Panasonic Operating Instructions, Product SKU's:
DMC-FZ38 (VQT2F13 - Europe);
DMC-FZ35 (VQT2F10 - U.S.A.);
DMC-FZ35 (VQT2H01 - Australia/Asia-Pacific)

Video Out Format (Analog), Page 35

Select between PAL and NTSC
Available - VQT2F13, VQT2H01
Not available - VQT2F10

Available Recording Time, Page 218
VQT2F10, VQT2H01
MPEG - up to 2GB, AVCHD - up to the capacity of the card.
VQT2F13
All formats - 29 minutes 59 seconds.

Nomenclature, pp 2, 52, 53, 54, 130
Extended Optical Zoom - VQT2F13, VQT2H01
Extra Optical Zoom -VQT2F10

Battery Temperature Warning, Page 17

Charge between 10C to 35C (50F to 95F)
Mentioned - VQT2F13, VQT2H01
Not Mentioned - VQT2F10

Battery Life, LCD, Page 18
"the number of recordable pictures decreases in Auto Power LCD Mode and Power LCD Mode (P31)
Not Mentioned - VQT2F13, VQT2H01
Mentioned - VQT2F10

Recording Time for Motion Pictures, P 19

VQT2F13 - Whole section omitted
VQT2F10, VQT2H01 - Included

There may be more minor/trivial differences, but by now I have a headache from doing this...hopefully it will put someone's mid at ease!

Cheers
Greg

PS And that's just for one camera - imagine the poor suckers given the job of compiling all the different manuals twice a year - by now they are all in therapy, no doubt (and no wonder Panasonic manuals have a deserved reputation for being a giant mess; instead of improving readability and layout, they must spend all their time nit-picking ridiculous and unnecessary minutia)

Last edited by chillgreg; Mar 14, 2010 at 8:38 AM.
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2010, 8:40 AM   #2

Note to self: Did I really just spend (waste) an hour of my life on that post...man I must have some issues)
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillgreg View Post
Note to self: Did I really just spend (waste) an hour of my life on that post...man I must have some issues)
Greg,...you need to watch more TV or read a Vince Flynn thriller. That analysis of yours gave ME a headache. I can only imagine the long term damage it may have done to your brain.

Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setter Dog View Post
Greg,...you need to watch more TV or read a Vince Flynn thriller. That analysis of yours gave ME a headache. I can only imagine the long term damage it may have done to your brain.

Jack
Hey uncle Jack

You are so funny!

Hey did your camera arrive yet?
Old Mar 14, 2010, 5:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillgreg View Post
Hey uncle Jack

You are so funny!

Hey did your camera arrive yet?
Not here yet, Greg. Supposedly tomorrow. Tonight I'll be like my grandkids on Christmas eve. Do you think I should leave milk and cookies out for the postman?

I've got a long list of things that I want to try, mainly related to video and combination slideshows. I know I'm really going to enjoy the FZ35. My FZ28 will get a much deserved rest before going to my son,.......and he's too busy to use it much.

Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 5:37 AM   #6

Hi Greg, I have recently purchased FZ35 in India. Indeed, it is a great camera. However, while reading the review at http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa.../look-and-feel , I have noticed the sr. no. tag on my camera is little different than it is listed in the above review.

e.g. my camera's tag is all in English and no FC sign, where in the URL above, that camera has German (guess !) in addition to English.

like, Model No. / N' de Moddule

My camera's tag also reads "Made in Japan". It was sealed box. All the cables, power adapter, CDs and manual have panasonic logo.

Has anyone noticed or come across this difference ( or it is a issue)?

Appreciate your inputs.

Regards,
Sanjeev
sanjeev1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 6:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjeev1989 View Post
Hi Greg, I have recently purchased FZ35 in India. Indeed, it is a great camera. However, while reading the review at http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa.../look-and-feel , I have noticed the sr. no. tag on my camera is little different than it is listed in the above review.

e.g. my camera's tag is all in English and no FC sign, where in the URL above, that camera has German (guess !) in addition to English.

like, Model No. / N' de Moddule

My camera's tag also reads "Made in Japan". It was sealed box. All the cables, power adapter, CDs and manual have panasonic logo.

Has anyone noticed or come across this difference ( or it is a issue)?

Appreciate your inputs.

Regards,
Sanjeev
Hi Sanjeev

I doubt you need to be worried about the attached plate - this is simply a Certification Plate that is attached prior to shipping to comply with each countries government regulations, it is not directly related to the camera's model number.

Enjoy your new camera mate, and welcome to Steve's!
Old Mar 20, 2010, 6:17 AM   #8

PS Wow Jack, someone actually read my esoteric and useless post
Old Mar 21, 2010, 4:10 AM   #9

Thanks Greg, Indeed, it was your analysis helped me to clarify my doubts. Guess, there is one more model within Asia for China and Saudi Arebia (as my BOX cover model reads: FZ35GC) (possibly, GC stands for greater China and also it has manuals in Cantonese and Arabic)

Again, Thanks Greg.
sanjeev1989 is offline   Reply With Quote