Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 15, 2010, 12:03 PM   #1

Default I don't know who's more excited

Jack for getting his new camera, or me for Jack for getting his new camera
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2010, 6:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillgreg View Post
Jack for getting his new camera, or me for Jack for getting his new camera
Greg,....The FZ35 here and I love it. Checking it out reminds me of my long ago days in a fighter squadron when we'd get a new model of the jet we'd been flying. They looked the same but everything was improved.

After assembling the camera I mainly tried out the video HD modes. I was pleased to find out that AVCHD records into my Pany DVD writer and looks great on the high def TV,....really beautiful. Of course, so does the MJPEG I'll probably use AVCHD since it takes less memory. I was slightly disappointed with the video sound but I really think that's because I am too critical after the terrible sound of the FZ28. It was windy and I put on the wind cut and the sound got a lot better. I think I'll leave the wind cut on. I don't record concerts, just myself talking. Instead of sounding like Frank Sinatra, I sounded like an old man. At least it was the sound of an old man in the open, not in a barrel.

So far, the most noticeable improvements over the FZ28 are in video zoom, which is smooth and quiet, autofocus, which is dead bang on and never a hit and miss thing. The image stabilization is even better than Panasonic claims. It's like you're using a tri-pod, amazing!

Playing slideshows was interesting since the FZ28 would not do mixed video and stills. This FZ35 will play anything. To keep the look right, I will
probably shoot most stills in 16:9 ratio. The rez drops to 9mp and the extended zoom to 28X but both of which are fine with me.

Jack

Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 7:01 PM   #3

I am so happy for you! FYI, I did read somewhere that if you use the wind cut filter in quiet surroundings, it may lower the sound quality.

If you don't mind me asking, what sort of jets did you fly?
Old Mar 15, 2010, 7:12 PM   #4

Quote:
I am so happy for you! FYI, I did read somewhere that if you use the wind cut filter in quiet surroundings, it may lower the sound quality.

If you don't mind me asking, what sort of jets did you fly?
I don't know about the lower quality sound with the wind cut off. I'll try it both ways inside and see what I think. Outdoors in the wind, with the wind cut off, I really didn't hear much wind, but the sound was ho hum. With the wind cut on, the sound just seemed better overall.

F-100, 104, 105, B-727, 737, DC-10 mainly and a few others for brief periods. Best bird I ever flew was the F-104. Everything else since 1959 has been nice but the F-104 was incomparable.

Jack
Old Mar 15, 2010, 7:28 PM   #5

Wow Jack I am in awe. Did you ever get a chance to go up in an F111?
Old Mar 15, 2010, 8:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Wow Jack I am in awe. Did you ever get a chance to go up in an F111?
Never got to fly that one. I'd sure like to have gotten my hands on one though!

Jack
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:41 PM   #7

you do get lower quality sound with wind cut off, your better off using noise reduction in soundforge or free opensource audio editors. bandwith is slapped basically speaking.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:07 PM   #8

Congrats, Jack. Glad you are happy with your new camera. Coming from the FZ28, I guess your learning curve will be pretty short. I on the other hand have got a ton to learn.

-Larry
Jazzer251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzer251 View Post
Congrats, Jack. Glad you are happy with your new camera. Coming from the FZ28, I guess your learning curve will be pretty short. I on the other hand have got a ton to learn.

-Larry
Everything is pretty familiar since I use my FZ28 a lot, Larry. Being familiar with the FZ28 really makes me aware of the many, many subtle improvements Pany made in the FZ35. Just to mention one, the image stabilization is absolutely amazing. And having a choice of two HD video modes is something special.

The FZ35 raises the bar quite a bit.

Jack
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:30 PM   #10

Congratulations, Jack-

Enjoy your new FZ-35. It sounds like you are having a ball.

I also come from an aviation background with 22 years of Navy time and retiring as a Boeing 747 Check Captain.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote