Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 16, 2010, 5:43 AM   #1

Default Is it time...

... to start talking in earnest about a replacement for the FZ35? I'm not referring to yet another wish list, as the design is probably pretty much in its final stages, if there is going to be a replacement at all. I just wonder if there have been any facts leaked about the new model FZ45/48 (or whatever).

I'm still using my FZ28, as I haven't quite outgrown it yet, and am waiting to see what Pan does with the FZ35/38 successor (e.g., true HD). If Pan tradition holds, I'll have but a few more months to wait.
Lazy Lens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2010, 8:44 AM   #2

I can't see that there's much to discuss without focusing on a wishlist syle debate since we don't even know if panny will be releasing an upgrade at this moment. Happy to contribute my thoughts on what I'd like to see in the next upgrade, considering I'm still using the "ancient FZ18!)
kittykat23uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 8:51 AM   #3

Ok, I'll bite

• It will have the 14mp sensor fitted, maybe with aspect ratio FOV as per TZ10, then they can get away with putting only 12mp on the front.
  • It will have even more features and gimmicks
  • It will definitely have the "intelligent" resolution, with the accompanying marketing BS about increased zoom.
  • 1080p video with the Venus HD2 processor
  • To keep up with the competitors, they will increase the zoom too, although how much is anyone's guess. But whatever they use, you can bet that the Full resolution intelligent zoom will be more than 30x...
  • As a result the lens won't be as bright. ie FZ18 2.8-4.2, FZ28 &35 2.8-4.4, it could be as bad as 3.2-5.0 if they really push the zoom envelope
  • 3.0 screen maybe 430k but probably 230k to save costs
  • The charger cord, which was 1.8m on the FZ18/28, and down to 1m on the 35, will be 50cm...
  • as they have removed the index and specifications from the FZ35/8 pdf manual, they will next remove all the table of contents
  • Battery life will probably be less, due to the bigger, heavier lens, bigger LCD and new processor. The FZ18/28 battery was 710mah, the FZ35 is 695, so the FZ48 could be 650. Must save that extra 2c...
  • It will be heavier
  • Gee burst mode buffer might be down to 1 frame...
  • internal memory will go down to 15mb a la TZ8
  • they will add another 200 scene modes
  • the new CMOS sensors being developed at the new Panasonic sensor plant won't be ready in time, so most likely a native Panasonic BSI CMOS 15Mp sensor in the FZ58
  • despite all this, reviews will be glowing and probably rate it equal or better than FZ35
Some of the above is facetious, but much I think is likely. The beancounters have been running the show for a while now, so like the ZS3, the FZ35/8 will probably become an instant classic ( and even more of a bargain)

Last edited by chillgreg; Mar 16, 2010 at 8:56 AM.
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 9:00 AM   #4

some of the newer superzooms have significanly increased burst modes, I'd like to see 10fps and better tracking on the next iteration of the FZx8 although I imagine it wouldn't be called the FZ48 if it has a 30x zoom?

Some claim to have improved low light capability from stacking images or other "magic" I'd like to see that in a Panny.

IQ would need to be better (or at least no worse) than my FZ18- I'd like to see some improved dynamic range.

30X zoom (a little wider and a little longer) would be nice but not essential and not at the expense of IQ.

Increased shutter speed (1/4000 or more would be nice)

that's for starters.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 9:03 AM   #5

Unfortunately kittykat , that is only possible due to them using the Sony BSI sensor. As Panasonic would burn it's factories down before doing business with Sony, the 48 will have to use the current gen sensor until their new plant is online.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 9:08 AM   #6

Interesting. TBH I'm not in a major rush to replace my FZ but I have been taking more interest in other manufacturers' offerings of late. The Fuji HS-10 for instance sounds intriguing from a birding perspective. The DPreviews put me off the Sony (poorer evf, higher price, proprietary memory etc - at the time-) but I might consider taking another look. I have a big trip planned for October (three weeks in South Africa) and so have time to consider replacing my camera. Oh and olympus have made a major error IMHO but not including an EVF in their latest models.

Last edited by kittykat23uk; Mar 16, 2010 at 9:11 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 9:12 AM   #7

Cool! The HS-10 sounds awesome, but a bit too big and heavy for my own needs.

From the rumours round the traps, I'd say that just about every FZ50 owner on the planet is lining up...poor Panasonic.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 9:15 AM   #8

Addendum: The new Panasonic sensor under development claims a 4-stop improvement over current gen CCD. The beancounters are adding extra bubblebath, because this means instead of actually imp[roving low light capability, they can merely keep it at current levels and increase the resolution to 22MP...not so far far fetched either methinks...
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:37 AM   #9

You forgot to mention that the new FZ45/48 will have a GPS..... and because
of that, a battery life of 50 images

Last edited by dbnnet; Mar 16, 2010 at 11:04 AM.
dbnnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:32 AM   #10

And proprietary battery of course
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote