Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 17, 2010, 1:20 PM   #1

Default New FZ38/35 owner

Hello from France,
and apologies for long digression and language mistakes

After having owned the same old good argentic Canon AE1 Prog during 31 years and transported tons of material (+ the camcorder), i'm the happy (and light) owner of a FZ38 (+UV filter +PL filter (HOYA HMC) +Sandisk 16Go) since mid january and, as often as possible, i have the manual in left hand and read, re-read, and re-re read it, with the camera in the other hand of course .

Softwares : Paintshop Photo Pro + Corel Photopaint (I like it's RAW processing and easy noise handling) + Pinnacle Studio for movies .

Almost always, my settings are P mode, RAW+jpeg , ISO limited at 200, exceptionally at 800 , for the rest : noise, contrast, saturation = 0
For now I'm training to panoramas and HDR (-2, -1, 0, +1, +2EV)
I still have an enormous work on moving subjects and low lights pictures.

Although I'm still in exploration phase (and a pure amateur...) , here are some little opinions :

Pro :
good grip,
low weight,
dimensions very reasonable for a bridge
good zoom in quality and range ,
sufficient aperture (it's not my old 55mm f1.4 but...),
Automatic + PASM,
RAW,
lots of presets (too much ?),
commands easily accessible,
HD movie with correct sound (720p acceptable for me),
viewfinder ,
camera sufficiently effective in auto mode (for emergency or lazyness circumstances ),
quick start,
very fast focus,
possibility of adapting filters,
excellent stabilization
enviable value for money
overall very good image quality in good or medium lighting conditions.

Cons :
Fixed screen (i have over 20 years...),
viewfinder definition,
visible noise from 400 ISO (on enlargements, even it's subjective),
if you forget to remove the cap, zoom knocks on it at start-up,
manual up to the possibilities of the camera ie dense ,
burst mode slow at full resolution .

And finally, regarding the noise problem, I wonder what percentage of photographers commonly used 800 or 1600 ASA(ISO) argentic films, and how many produced so big enlargements to need perfects results at 6400 ISO with their numeric camera . It suggests that we are all experienced professionals who demand Hasselblad quality .
Progress is a necessity but should not be a blindness, it is better to learn to use the equipment optimally.

Many thanks for your contributions, and of course, I will send pictures when they are not too ugly

Last edited by bip54; Mar 18, 2010 at 3:53 AM.
bip54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2010, 1:30 PM   #2

bip54, Hi.
Welcome on board - Here you will find many keen FZ38/35 owners.
Regards
dbnnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 1:50 PM   #3

bip-

A warm welcome to the Forum and to the Panasonic P+S folder.

The Panasonic FZ-35/FZ-38 is a very good point and shoot super zoom camera, however, it is not a digital single lens reflex camera. Due to you past experience, a lot of your observations are based upon your past SLR experience.

Based upon your priorities, you may, in the final analysis, be happier with an entry level digital single lens reflex camera, as it represents more of the feature you are accustomed to in the past.

There are lots of excellent photo samples and good fellowship here in this folder that show what the FZ-35 can do.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 2:10 PM   #4

Thanks for welcome .

Hello Sarah,
I have a brige knowingly , and I really don't regret a SLR for my usage (bulk, weight, many lenses, flash, etc...), and the FZ38 meets all my expectations, what i mean is that some reviews and "Hi-tech" consumers or "experts" extolling the merits of cameras "oversized" for the average user , while a coherent camera like the FZ38 will be clearly adequate for the majority of us, including me...
bip54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 2:52 PM   #5

bip-

Many thanks for your reply. You see I am in something of the same position. I favor super zoom or bridge cameras like the FZ-35/38, over my DSLR cameras as there is so much less to carry about.

Yes, making the change is something of a compromise, but a super zoom is so much lighter and faster to use, that the convenience allows you to capture photos that you would normally miss.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 5:25 PM   #6

Bip,

You said a mouthful and I agree with nearly every comment. Seldom mentioned are the features of the FZs that make them more usable than the other long zooms. Both the FZ28 and FZ35 are very handy and quick in every way. I have situations where I can use only one hand to turn on, zoom, and turn off the camera after stills or videos. The FZs are the only cameras that meet my qualifications for handling.

The FZ35 really improved on the FZ28, especially in video and image stabilization, and auto focus. All this is wrapped up nicely in iA which I find very usable.

Enjoy your new camera. You will like it more every time you use it.

Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 6:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bip54 View Post
And finally, regarding the noise problem, I wonder what percentage of photographers commonly used 800 or 1600 ASA(ISO) argentic films, ...
So, how far back in time did you go here? 25, 30, 40 years? I'm sure that back then the percentage was very small because the results using 800+ ASA films were close to being unacceptable. Does that mean we now 20+ later (at least) should be happy with the current cameras that produce a lot of noise at ISO 800? Not me. As you stated, technology evolves and consequently expectations rise with it. The fact that I can (safely) shoot at ISO 800 with my cameras is huge. I am able to take very usable shots in very dim places w/o flash (as so many places prohibit its usage). Do I need to blow those images up to benefit from the camera's good handling of noise at high ISO? Course not.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 6:40 PM   #8

Welcome bip54! Glad you joined the forum!
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote