Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 18, 2010, 3:32 PM   #11

Would an extract from the video give us full 12MP image/frame of the action? Am I asking for too much????
mithunbabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 3:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunbabu View Post
Would an extract from the video give us full 12MP image/frame of the action? Am I asking for too much????
No, it's just a clip from the 1280x720 video so that's the resolution. I'm sure that pixel peepers really aren't interested in this feature since they enlarge all of their pictures to about 20"x 30"! I sure does come in handy under certain conditions, though. I have a nice video grab of a Grizzly in Yellowstone last year. Unfortunately, it was with a VGA clip at 640x480, which are marginal. The 720x1280 are much, much better.

Give it a try and see what you think.

Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 9:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setter Dog View Post
Hi Jazzer,

I think almost any software program will allow these video grabs.

I use Picasa and it's really simple. I use mjpeg since I can't get avchd to load into Picasa.

Just click on the clip and watch it play. A window is on the left giving you options to upload, take a snapshot etc. When it comes to something you like, hit the pause button and move back and forth frame by frame to get the exact frame you like, then press the take snapshot button. They load into a captured video folder and you can email or print from that folder with Picasa. I find it helpful and something few people seem to use.

I think the results are so good because of the Leica lens.

Try it, you'll like it!

Jack
Do you have any examples you could upload? This sounds very interesting!
joekelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 9:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekelli View Post
Do you have any examples you could upload? This sounds very interesting!
I don't know how to upload anything and probably am not motivated to learn. Getting grabs from videos is the simplest thing in the world. I got some good ones today.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. Picasa will do it for you.

Jack
Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:55 PM   #15

Quote:
I don't know how to upload anything and probably am not motivated to learn. Getting grabs from videos is the simplest thing in the world. I got some good ones today.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. Picasa will do it for you.

Jack
I was just asking because I just ordered my fz35 and it will not be here for a couple of weeks. Just wondering what the pictures looked like using this method. I cant wait to try all this stuff out!
joekelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:47 PM   #16

You will really be pleased. I've taken video grabs with several cameras, the Canon SX10 and Canon TX1 (HD). The best by far have been from the Pany FZ35. They are clear, sharp, and even print up nicely. I suppose it's a credit to the Leica lens because resolution is resolution,.... theoretically, they really shouldn't be as sharp as they are.

You will really enjoy your FZ35. It's the best camera I've ever owned.

Jack
Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:45 PM   #17

I purchased two used FZ35's off Amazon for $275 shipped to my door FREE still boxed in perfect condition someone pulled them out took a few pic's and sent them back?
You can also send them back as Amazon has the same return policy as WalMart even if you don't like the FZ35 they will charge you $6 at most for shipment back if theres a problem with the camera, packaging or included equipment Amazon takes care of the shipping...
Just arrived in Nigeria with one of the FZ35's and an LT-55...don't know where or when I will get any pictures but will try my hardest...

Thanks for the extensive testing Setter Dog, I read the whole manual on the flight today...found out a few things also about burst mode...really cool camera...FZ35 is great...what ever Panny follows up with will be awesome I am sure...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 5:02 PM   #18

Well with LT in Sith Afthica and Jack at the baseball, it sounds like you are both getting shots of big game...
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2010, 10:33 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillgreg View Post
Well with LT in Sith Afthica and Jack at the baseball, it sounds like you are both getting shots of big game...
So far, the biggest surprise about my FZ35 is the video and the stills I can get from them. They are head and shoulders above the Canon SX10 (640x480), and even my Canon HD TX1. All I can guess is that the FZ35 simply has a better lens. When I send these to people, I seldom mention that they are video clips and I usually get some comments like,......"Man, what kind of camera do you use that can stop the action like that?"

My wife took a video of me shooting at the game club the other day and I pulled stills of the dog on point, the flush of the bird, the shot, and the fetch. We did the same thing last year with the Canon SX10 and the difference is striking. I don't print many pictures but wanted to see how these would look in print,.....just fine, I'm happy to say.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 5:47 PM   #20

Quote:
So far, the biggest surprise about my FZ35 is the video and the stills I can get from them. They are head and shoulders above the Canon SX10 (640x480), and even my Canon HD TX1. All I can guess is that the FZ35 simply has a better lens. When I send these to people, I seldom mention that they are video clips and I usually get some comments like,......"Man, what kind of camera do you use that can stop the action like that?"
Setter Dog,

What software do you use to get the stills from the video.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheeseboy2/
Comments appreciated.
cheeseboy is offline   Reply With Quote