Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 17, 2010, 4:57 PM   #1

Default FZ35,..More impressions

I'm continuing my high tech test flights of the FZ35 and have reached a few conclusions, submitted for what they may be worth.

I find the iA mode to be the best for me in terms of color etc. They have really put it all together nicely in iA on the FZ35. My FZ28 required tweaking of saturation, sharpness etc to get the results I wanted.

mjpeg works just fine for my videos and I am, at least for now, abandoning avchd. I can pull really good still clips from these videos. They are the ultimate high speed burst. I think these clips are a credit to the quality of the Leica lens.

High speed burst has been very useful at Little League games. The downside is sorting through numerous shots to get the ones you want. Some cameras group the bursts so that sorting through them is simpler. I find the speed priority (10fps) is the most effective even though it is always at a much higher iso than image priority (6fps). This is one of the really nice features of the FZ series cameras.

I have found no use for "my colors" mode.???

For video, I prefer to put the mode dial in movie mode and use the shutter button to stop and start filming. The dedicated button is harder for me to turn on and off without shake, especially with one hand. Since there is no shortening of video in camera, smooth starts and stops are nice. I am trying to go through life without ever resorting to an editing program.

The more I use this camera the happier I am. Not only is this a feature packed little jewel, it's handy and light weight. I would not want one any heavier hanging around my neck.

Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2010, 8:36 PM   #2

Hi there, Jack-

Yes, I surely do agree with you. Working with the FZ-35/38 is a growing kind of experience, as you learn more about the camera, tweaking and increasing your photo skills. Have you compared image quality from the IA Mode versus the P for Programed Auto Mode.

Most folks hold the feeling that the P Mode is slightly better in terms of image quality.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 8:49 PM   #3

Noticed that Frys Electronics has dropped the price of FZ35 (in store) to $309.

The PIX was taken today of the ice plant bloom bordering the shopping center across the street from the Frys outlet.

Addendum:
PIX was either in "P" or "M". No vivid needed. In fact, the problem was throttling back the brightness (EV set to -1/3 with WB=Sun) or shutter to 1/640 - 1/800. These blooms have just come out because of the recent warm weather & rains & they are so bright in the open sun that they almost hurt your eyes.
Attached Images

Last edited by sdromel; Mar 18, 2010 at 4:46 PM.
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:10 PM   #4

sdromel-

That's just about the lowest price I have heard of on the FZ-35. Ilove the color in your ice plant image. Was that taken in Vivid?

By the way, congratulations if you purchased the FZ-35. That is a great price.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 12:51 AM   #5

I bought my FZ 35 from Abe's of Maine and it went for $309 with free shipping and no tax. Be aware that they called to 'confirm' my shipping address and tried to sell me a memory card and spare battery. I was annoyed at best.

The camera was delivered this past Monday, 3-15.

Bob.
RCovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 8:28 AM   #6

Amazon and B&H also are currently selling the FZ35 for $309.95 with free shipping.
Jazzer251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 8:29 AM   #7

Setter Dog, I agree with your assessment. Maybe if I were a bit more "artsy" I'd experiment. But if I want to change colors I think it's easier using the computer software.
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 2:34 PM   #8

Default Video grabs,...

If any of you, like me, are the official sports photographer at your grandson's Little League games, you may be interested in what I've discovered about the stills taken from videos.

This season, the batters area and dugout areas are caged with tight chain link fencing, making photography inconvenient. You can lean up against the fence and focus through one of the little squares if you don't mind looking like a fool while you block everyone else's view of the game.

I photograph from the right field fence. With the 18X zoom, I get a great view. The IS is so good in the FZ35 that the pictures are sharp as a tack.
I shoot in high speed burst (speed option) mostly. The results are good but you have a ton of pictures go go through and delete if you didn't catch what you wanted.

When I'm expecting a big play, ......such as my grandson sliding into home, I take a video (mpeg) and pull stills from them if I get the shot I want. If I don't, the clip is easily deleted. The point is, video grabs are really quite good in the FZ35, a credit to the Leica lens in my opinion.

These video grabs are popular with family members, You can really catch all the action.

Jack
Old Mar 18, 2010, 3:12 PM   #9

Jack,

that's an interesting idea. Probably a dumb question from a FZ35 newbie, but how do you get the video grab? I assume you need to use external software like Picasa?
Jazzer251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 3:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzer251 View Post
Jack,

that's an interesting idea. Probably a dumb question from a FZ35 newbie, but how do you get the video grab? I assume you need to use external software like Picasa?
Hi Jazzer,

I think almost any software program will allow these video grabs.

I use Picasa and it's really simple. I use mjpeg since I can't get avchd to load into Picasa.

Just click on the clip and watch it play. A window is on the left giving you options to upload, take a snapshot etc. When it comes to something you like, hit the pause button and move back and forth frame by frame to get the exact frame you like, then press the take snapshot button. They load into a captured video folder and you can email or print from that folder with Picasa. I find it helpful and something few people seem to use.

I think the results are so good because of the Leica lens.

Try it, you'll like it!

Jack