Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 18, 2010, 12:43 PM   #1

Default FZ35 newbie questions

Have been reading the forum for sometimes, however first time post here.

Just got my FZ35 delivered yesterday, did not have a chance to play with it yet, but my 11 yrs old already making movies LOL.....questions for those who have the camera:

What is the optimal setup using P, exposure, f speed etc?

How do I turn on image stabilization regardless of setups?

I think I will like this camera based on what I have read here.

Thanks.
1psu88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2010, 12:51 PM   #2

1psu88-

Welcome to the Forum and to the Panasonic P+S folder. We're glad you dropped by.

It is best to begin using the FZ-35 in the "P" for Programed Auto Mode. That way you will not have to worry about setting F-stops and shutter speeds. The Image Stabilization has three modes: Automatic, Mode 1, and Mode 2. The easiest thing to do is to leave it in the Automatic Mode.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 12:51 PM   #3

Greetings 1psu88.
In the P mode I use an ISO setting of 100. I let the camera choose the speed unless it's moving, then I might set it up a bit. I just leave stabilization on "Auto". I think that's the default setting but I'd have to read the manual. I also like to leave the focus on spot mode also.
Hope you enjoy your Z35, I certainly like mine.
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 1:41 PM   #4

I found the Saturation to be a little on the "weak" side - So set it to +1
Regards
dbnnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 10:20 AM   #5

First of, congrats on your new camera. I have the previous model (FZ28) and like it very much. From all I've seen, the FZ35 is even better.

With that said, I believe the "optimal camera settings" doesn't exist. It's very subjective and up to individual tastes. An image that may look too soft to one person, might look just right to another. That applies to everything...contrast, color saturation, noise reduction, etc. The other thing that varies from person to person is how to configure the camera. Some may use the custom setting for B&W, Sepia etc., while others may save settings such as flash photography, high ISO, etc. So, I have two suggestions to make: 1) Grab your camera, open up the manual and read through it as you play with the camera. That way, you'll be able to easily relate the words with the actual functions, and; 2) take lots and lots of pictures of test subjects (whether landscape, a person, an animal or a simple toy), changing the camera settings that you feel may affect IQ to your desire. Then, upload them to your computer and use any image software editor (Photoshop, ExifTool, etc.) to look at the EXIF data produced by the camera. That way you'll be able to determine the ideal settings from the images that appeal to you most.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 10:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint501 View Post
Greetings 1psu88.
In the P mode I use an ISO setting of 100. I let the camera choose the speed unless it's moving, then I might set it up a bit. I just leave stabilization on "Auto". I think that's the default setting but I'd have to read the manual. I also like to leave the focus on spot mode also.
Hope you enjoy your Z35, I certainly like mine.

Just out of curiosity Clint, why do you use ISO 100 instead of 80? Most reviews I've read show the best noise/artifact setting is ISO 80.
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 10:44 AM   #7

Thanks all, I was able to play with it a bit last night and I like it especially the closeup features.

there will be lot of critters pics in the house this weekend.

Cheer!!
1psu88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 10:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
First of, congrats on your new camera. I have the previous model (FZ28) and like it very much. From all I've seen, the FZ35 is even better.

With that said, I believe the "optimal camera settings" doesn't exist. It's very subjective and up to individual tastes. An image that may look too soft to one person, might look just right to another. That applies to everything...contrast, color saturation, noise reduction, etc. The other thing that varies from person to person is how to configure the camera. Some may use the custom setting for B&W, Sepia etc., while others may save settings such as flash photography, high ISO, etc. So, I have two suggestions to make: 1) Grab your camera, open up the manual and read through it as you play with the camera. That way, you'll be able to easily relate the words with the actual functions, and; 2) take lots and lots of pictures of test subjects (whether landscape, a person, an animal or a simple toy), changing the camera settings that you feel may affect IQ to your desire. Then, upload them to your computer and use any image software editor (Photoshop, ExifTool, etc.) to look at the EXIF data produced by the camera. That way you'll be able to determine the ideal settings from the images that appeal to you most.

Hi Tullio

In the short time I've had my FZ35, and the limited testing I've done, I found quite an interesting difference to my old FZ18. Whereas with the 18 I regularly played with the Contrast/Saturation/Sharpness/Noise Reduction settings, but with the 35 so far the IQ actually seems better with all set to their default 0. As I said, very limited indoor testing...
Old Mar 19, 2010, 10:52 AM   #9

80 would be better quality but 100 gives me a bit more shutter speed or aperture. I've read there is not a great deal of difference. I should take some shots and compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillgreg View Post
Just out of curiosity Clint, why do you use ISO 100 instead of 80? Most reviews I've read show the best noise/artifact setting is ISO 80.
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 11:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint501 View Post
80 would be better quality but 100 gives me a bit more shutter speed or aperture. I've read there is not a great deal of difference. I should take some shots and compare.
Yes it's interesting, I've also been comparing the ISO setting methodology. At present I fix ISO in P to ISO80, but if I know there will be either low-light or a moving subject, I put the Intelligent ISO to On, with the Maximum set to ISO 200. Then it will still use 80 in good light, but will adjust upwards automatically if it needs to.

I find it quite effective actually - they made a considerable improvement with the Intelligent ISO feature with the FZ28/35/38 over the FZ18 in the later Venus processors. Much less inclined to increase the ISO.