Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 17, 2004, 9:58 PM   #11

Default FZ10 noise

The noise is quite acceptable at ISO 50. It gets high at anything over ISO 100. I have just been experimenting with Noise Ninja and it makes quite a difference. I have been taking shots mainly at ISO 50 so don’t have too many examples at high ISO to test, but it looks like with this program ISO 200 (and even ISO 400 sometimes) can be made quite acceptable.

The camera produces quite a lot of chromatic aberration (color fringing) at long zoom, along areas of high contrast, that get worse the further you are away from the center of the image. But then so do all the compact long focal length cameras. The problem can be fixed using PanaTools. Google for link.

I have done some experiments and found, rather to my surprise, that neither the sharpness nor the CA problem is significantly improved by reducing the aperture. The problem with using an external flash with the camera has been much improved by using it in Aperture Preferred mode rather than full manual.

The remaining problem for me is that the shutter delay is just too long for taking fast moving sports shots. I was trying with my daughter at Karate and found it almost impossible to get a shot of her kicking. The kick would be over by the time it fired.

You can see some examples of the FZ10 and the Oly C2100uz (Uzi) for comparison at
http://www.e-photoworks.com/albinato...67&dowhat=user

The FZ10 camera is somewhat harder to get used to and use than the Uzi and I would trade it for a “new” Uzi if only Olympus would make a 4 megapixel version of it. Having said that, the FZ10 is probably the best bet for an all-in-one ultra-zoom camera today.

Hope that helps you decide.
parallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2004, 7:45 AM   #12

Default CA vs blooming

As I've seen in many articles for different camers, CA can be reduced a lot by closing aperture. Maybe it's blooming - the sensor of 1/2.5 is too small for 4 Mpix.
Alexander Rabtchevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2004, 1:09 PM   #13

Quote:
As I've seen in many articles for different camers, CA can be reduced a lot by closing aperture. Maybe it's blooming - the sensor of 1/2.5 is too small for 4 Mpix.
I agree 1/2.5 is small for 4 megapixels, but the color fringing doesn't happen in the middle of the shot and gets worse as you go towards the edges. Do you know if color fringing is equal all over the image? At least some of the problem is CA I think.
parallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2004, 4:09 PM   #14

Kestas

Interesting, please provide some examples for me to view. Thanks!

http://www.brrd.ab.ca/nnorway/carrweb/index.htm
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2004, 5:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normcar
Kestas

Interesting, please provide some examples for me to view. Thanks!

http://www.brrd.ab.ca/nnorway/carrweb/index.htm
give me an ftp adress (I hate online services, where you have to register) and I'll gladly upload some pics (better ones) in the first half of the weak (terribly busy right now). That would be Euroleague btw..

K
Kestas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2004, 6:56 PM   #16

Kestas

I'm not quite sure why I need to provide you with an ftp address in order to see some of your product just because you don't like online services. I'm afraid I'll have to say nope, but let me know if you ever find a way to post your own photos online without someone else's file transfer protocal.

Thanks
Old Jan 20, 2004, 12:32 PM   #17

Default normcar

I was at your comparision website
http://www.brrd.ab.ca/nnorway/carrweb/testtwo.htm

Something very odd about the FZ10 pictures.
the objects i.e. the wooden pins/pillars are not in focus at all.

see my examples from my FZ10 here.

Macro:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...7.jpg.orig.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...e/f9f175d6.jpg

field test
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...2.jpg.orig.jpg
chiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 2:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Was it necessary for you to post a full 2300 x 1700 pixel sample here? I'm not sure what you are referring to with wooden pins/pillars You have posted 1 CU and 1 macro along with what I assume to be a slight zoom shot of branches. Most of the tests at my site are hand-held at either 4x or full 12 x telephoto in order to compare the G5 with the FZ10 in a variety of environments. They were taken quickly and without bias towards either camera (after all, I own both of them so why would I try to make the G5 look better, if that is your point...I'm still not sure what your point is).

You refer to blurr in my shots when you yourself have a less than sparkling macro of the doll and your branches are not the most wonderful study in sharpness either.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 3:52 PM   #19

[quote="Normcar"]
Quote:
Was it necessary for you to post a full 2300 x 1700 pixel sample here?
Sorry. Edited my post. I hope u like it now.

[quote="Normcar"]
Quote:
I'm not sure what you are referring to with wooden pins/pillars You have posted 1 CU and 1 macro along with what I assume to be a slight zoom shot of branches. Most of the tests at my site are hand-held at either 4x or full 12 x telephoto in order to compare the G5 with the FZ10 in a variety of environments. They were taken quickly and without bias towards either camera (after all, I own both of them so why would I try to make the G5 look better, if that is your point...I'm still not sure what your point is).
what is it in the middle of the sands? some wooden pegs? or am I seeing things?

[quote="Normcar"]
Quote:
You refer to blurr in my shots when you yourself have a less than sparkling macro of the doll and your branches are not the most wonderful study in sharpness either.
the macro of the doll was in room light conditions with no flash or sunlight. Plus the wall did not help in getting any contrast either.
That said, the picture is pretty clear, unlike the picture of the sands where the G5 is remarably sharp but the FZ10 is pretty blurred. And I am talking about the one with no zoom as well as the one with zoom.

It appears to me that you are very hostile to my rather docile remarks. your retort would have been more suitable had I attacked you claiming that you are favoring the G5, knowingly - which I did not. I trust you as a photographer, one enthusiastic enough to do all this good work and present it to us.
chiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 4:25 PM   #20

Quote:
what is it in the middle of the sands? some wooden pegs? or am I seeing things?
I still have no idea what you are referring to, although I suspect that you may be referring to the no zoom/full zoom comparison. If so, the photo is not sand but snow, and the wooden pegs are fence posts; both shots were hand held, immediately after one another, with exactly the same aperture and shutter settings.

Quote:
It appears to me that you are very hostile to my rather docile remarks.
The following remark, to me, doesn't sound docile.
Quote:
The above sounds to me like an accusation that I have in some way intentionally influenced the results. Otherwise, what's odd about one photograph being slightly less sharp than another?

Beyond that, thanks for editing your post and freeing up more room for text in this string.