Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 20, 2004, 4:55 PM   #21

I was not accusing you. Sorry if I sounded like that.
I was surprised and wanted a quick clarification and hence.

Wow. that is snow. looked like sand to me.
chiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 6:44 PM   #22

Quote:
Not accusing
That's cool, perhaps I should explain why I'm a bit jumpy on accusations. I have been accused in this forum of being a spy for Canon (chuckle) so when someone seems to be indicating that I'm favoring Canon over Panasonic I get a teeny bit defensive. It's clear to me now that you are from a very "warm" area and certain phrases can be mistaken when people from different areas chat.

I appreciate your explanation and input. As well, I really liked your eyes composition. Nice work on that one for sure!
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 9:11 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normcar
Quote:
Not accusing
That's cool, perhaps I should explain why I'm a bit jumpy on accusations. I have been accused in this forum of being a spy for Canon (chuckle) so when someone seems to be indicating that I'm favoring Canon over Panasonic I get a teeny bit defensive. It's clear to me now that you are from a very "warm" area and certain phrases can be mistaken when people from different areas chat.

I appreciate your explanation and input. As well, I really liked your eyes composition. Nice work on that one for sure!
Whew!
Thanks for the understanding.
I was worried that I possibly ruined sombody's day.

anyway here is a fullsize crop of the "eye" from the original picture

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...6.jpg.orig.jpg
Old Jan 20, 2004, 11:16 PM   #24

check out this thread.
Compare the G3 to the FZ10.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=7348169
Old Jan 21, 2004, 12:17 AM   #25

Normcar,
I seen the photos that were taken with the FZ10 and I see two problems. One you use auto white balance under weird lighting. Try manual white balance. Second they are underexpose becuase you are trying to use the flash at to far a distance. Turn off the flash and go to 400 if you have too. Digital photos are like slide film. You only have 1 stop of exposuser lattitude. It looks like you are close to two stops down to me.
Rod
hotrodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 12:56 PM   #26

comparison pix of the G3 vs FZ10 can be seen here

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=7354460
Old Jan 21, 2004, 1:16 PM   #27

hotroder

That would have destroyed the entire point of my comparison.
Old Jan 21, 2004, 1:22 PM   #28

Quote:
seen the photos that were taken with the FZ10 and I see two problems. One you use auto white balance under weird lighting. Try manual white balance. Second they are underexpose becuase you are trying to use the flash at to far a distance. Turn off the flash and go to 400 if you have too. Digital photos are like slide film. You only have 1 stop of exposuser lattitude. It looks like you are close to two stops down to me.
1. Auto WB was necessary to compare the two cameras (that was the intention as noted in the text on the site. Did you read it?) and I let the internal flashes speak for themselves on both units, no matter what the distance or room lighting. The ISO on both was exactly the same so it's redundant what it was (the object was comparison at similar settings not best photo contest). If you want to see better photos then have a look at my Traditional Christmas section where intentional low light was incorporated: http://www.brrd.ab.ca/nnorway/carrweb/art_pix.htm
Old Jan 21, 2004, 2:22 PM   #29

Normcar,
I guess you have a different way of testing than most people. using your standards the best Pro 35mm camera out there the nikon f5 would be beat buy a Olympus stylus Point and shoot becuase ithe F5 does not have any flash. I would say that your comparison shows that the G5 is a better point and shoot camera but you did not use auto exposure or ISO on it so I don't know that it wouldn't perform as good as the G5.

The only point you proved is that the G5 is easier for you to use to take photos in that gym. From what I've seen of the Fz10 gym photos they were bad becuse it was used on the wrong settings for that situation. No camera will make a photographer take great photos, It will just allow them to do it easier.

here as some guy show with a FZ10 that didn't turn out to bad except for motion blur. but you get that with any camera with no flash and only ISO400 at F2.8

http://www.clubphoto.com/_cgi-bin/ap...k_code=sa01_17

Rod
Old Jan 21, 2004, 2:50 PM   #30

hi all,
And here are some really great shots in a bright college gym.

http://larrysuconnhuskies.com/bc2004

Please note that sometimes this server is down when bussy but these shots are worth looking at if you want to see what the fz10 is capable of. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get one after seeing these. There is qite a bit of noise in some of these but neat image would clean it up nicely..Plus have you ever seen the grain on a 8x10 taken with 1600 film. I'd have to use 1600 with film becuase there is no way I could aford an F2.8 400mm IS lens

Rod