Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 21, 2004, 3:57 PM   #31

hotrodr

Quote:
here as some guy show with a FZ10 that didn't turn out to bad except for motion blur. but you get that with any camera with no flash and only ISO400 at F2.8
Yep, your examples above are about par for the FZ10 in the "dimgym." They are quite horrible... unless your goal is emotive.

Quote:
And here are some really great shots in a bright college gym.

http://larrysuconnhuskies.com/bc2004
Yep, these are good examples of how the FZ10 can perform from a distance inside a well lit gym. However, find me something up close, like those other shots, that are anything but blurred, light deficient, and color contaminated.

My point is sufficiently proven by your own examples.

Thanks!

Quote:
here as some guy show with a FZ10 that didn't turn out to bad except for motion blur. but you get that with any camera with no flash and only ISO400 at F2.8
I got the same stuff with flash and at any number of aperture settings. I'll tell you what, take your FZ10 out and show me that it's possible to get a decent inside close action shot. I'll be happy! Then it will show me that it's possible. Those successful gym shots of yours are from quite a distance where it's much easier to get action without blurring.

p.S. - I'm heading out to another gym tonight with the FZ10 and an external swivel flash (to see if I can get some lighting control). I'll be posting the results and hopefully I'll have something reasonable to show. Heck, I want my FZ10 to perform well in the gym too.[/quote]
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 5:15 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normcar
Yep, these are good examples of how the FZ10 can perform from a distance inside a well lit gym. However, find me something up close, like those other shots, that are anything but blurred, light deficient, and color contaminated.

My point is sufficiently proven by your own examples.

.[/quote]

Normcar with a constance F2.8 lens distance will have nothing to do with color balance and noise. The only thing might be barrel distortion at wide angle, but it shouldnt be noticed in a shot like these. Good luck with the flash, I'm suprised the allow the use of flash though. Around here it is prohibited.

Rod
hotrodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 11:47 PM   #33

hotrodr

Here's the test result stuff: http://www.brrd.ab.ca/nnorway/carrweb/bashaw_fz10.htm
Old Jan 22, 2004, 5:44 PM   #34

Normcar,
Much better...How did you get the speedlight to work with FZ10. I don't have a FZ10 yet but plan of buying one this year. I like the digital Rebel but won't have enough money for it and a new computer this year. Plus with the new Nikon D70 and Olympus is comming out with a low end model this year. Maybe the price will be down.

Thanks
Rod
hotrodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2004, 8:26 PM   #35

Quote:
How did you get the speedlight to work with FZ10
I set the ISO at the lowest and next-to-lowest settings, 50 and 100, and the shutter at the highest, 1/2000th, then tilted the flash head according to necessity. Across court the flash was pointed directly at and was tilted upwards the closer the subject became.

I didn't feel like I really had much control over the result but at least I had some which is encouraging.

I like my FZ10; it's got character; and it's also nice to see that I can even get some decent shots in the gym with the help of the speedlight, even if luck is more involved than I like. Without the swivel head I don't think I'd have a hope with closer shots. They'd all be dreadfully overexposed.
Old Jan 23, 2004, 11:20 AM   #36

but isn't the speedlight a dedicated canon flash unit?

how did it work with a universal hot shoe?

I have a nikon dedicated SAKAR flash unit and it only emits a meek flash when I mount it on my FZ10.
chiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 9:52 PM   #37

Yes, it's dedicated but seems to work here. I had a 220 without the swivel head and the results were less than satisfactory but with the swivel head I have some degree of control. I got full trade-up on my 220 too, which was a nice surprise.

One thing is certain, the flash I get from the 420 is anything but meek. That's where the swivel head comes into play, if the force is too much I just turn the head upwards.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 5:19 PM   #38

Here's a pic I took (4sec, ISO 50), only worked on the brightness and contrast.

http://picserver.student.utwente.nl/...picserver.jpeg

Is the noise on par? Strange thing happened with another pic. The noise really stood out, so I changed the size from 2304 pixels to 1600 and then back up to 2304. Noise was seriously reduced afterwards. I don't know, maybe my pc screen's just messed up.
Aviller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 7:52 PM   #39

Nice photo

At ISO 50 it's not likely that you are going to need to worry at all about noise, which is clear in this photograph of yours. Your long exposure turned out very nice indeed.

I think that the color is a bit off, though. If that were my photograph, I'd increase the brightness a touch, keep the saturation about the same, and take out a touch of the yellow...hmm, or is it the green? Well, I'd play around a bit more. Was this on auto WB?

No matter what, it would be a keeper for sure in my portfolio. It's a moody photo that makes me want to be there. I'd follow the lights and walk up the street a bit to see if something interesting was going on. Those two little lights in the forground building make my imagination swell...what they heck is goin' on there at this time of night?

I took it upon myself -- I hope you don't mind -- to try to enhance the mood of that photo, so I played with the colors a bit, did some layer stuff, and ran it through Neat Image. This is what I came up with: http://www.brrd.ab.ca/nnorway/carrwe...y_filtered.jpg

I hope you don't mind, and please don't sue me for toying with your wonderful photo.

PS - a few of my "moody" people photos taken this festive season. I welcome any comments and thank you for kindly posting that great photo you shot.
http://www.brrd.ab.ca/nnorway/carrweb/art_pix.htm
Old Jan 30, 2004, 8:34 AM   #40

Thanks for the compliments. People like you can always work on my photos.

I guess I'm gonna have to get a new pc monitor, since mine's always showing the images in a very dark tone. Like the blueish hue in the reworked picture (I suppose it's blue).
Aviller is offline   Reply With Quote