Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 30, 2003, 3:18 PM   #1

Default FZ10 owners: please comment on noise issue

Hi,
I intend to buy a FZ10, and I have followed the discussions on this forum for a while.
What still concerns me is the noise issue – post processing by software is only a second option.
So, FZ10 owners and experts could you please comment how noise levels compare (especially at ISO 100) e.g. with Canon G3/G5 or other cams you know. Is noise at ISO 100 acceptable, and if not, is it reasonable/possible to restrict the camera to ISO50 even at indoor low light shots – since the lens is fast?

I have read steves review and the one on www.dcresource.com (are there more?) but they do not comment much on noise: “Noise levels may be a tiny bit above average, but that did not bother me”.

And one last question: where can I buy the camera in the states?
Thanks, and greetings from Switzerland,
Markus
Markus Hofbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2003, 4:46 PM   #2

Go here for quite a bit on the FZ10 and a lot of examples....

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1033
Jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2003, 10:14 PM   #3

Default To Markus on noise levels

I have both FZ10 and G5. There is no comparison between the two. The G5 is better on all levels, excepting the zoom (which is real fun). If you want the FZ10 it had better be primarily for the zoom and image stabalization because it won't compare to the Canon for image clarity and perfection at all levels. At indoor, low level shots, I have found the camera to be essentially useless, especially under flourescent lighting. A few days ago I had both the FZ10 and G5 at my side, attempting to shoot some basketball. I gave up on the FZ10 and used the G5 with the 220EX TTL flash and got some okay shots. I don't like to use anything "more" than ISO 100, ever. The G5, with flash afforded me that opportunity when subjects were 10 or less meters away. Otherwise, I had to increase to 200. The FZ1 blew it on all counts: quality, sharpness, light, etc. I honestly can't say anything wonderful about the FZ10 performance in that sort of situation. And no comparison exists between the Canon and the Panasonic here. The Canon gunpowder blows the Panasonic out of the debate with sonic force!

Edit (Jan 10) - Some of what I said above was emotion rather than clear fact. At the time I was a bit upset that the FZ10 wasn't able to perform in the gym environment. I was sure that it would from all that I'd read. Since then I have somewhat solved my "gym" problem with the purchase of a Rebel. As for the differences between the G5 and the FZ10, well, I have some comparison shots for anyone to view who is interested. http://www.brrd.ab.ca/nnorway/carrweb/index.htm

I'm keeping both my G5 and FZ10. They both shine in their own little way.

I apologize for the somewhat "emotional" posting above. I don't wish to misinform anyone here, especially if they are out for information prior to a purchase.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2003, 8:03 PM   #4

I fully agree.
richardmanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2003, 9:42 AM   #5

Default G5 vs FZ10 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normcar
I have both FZ10 and G5. There is no comparison between the two. The G5 is better on all levels, excepting the zoom (which is real fun).
i've read several postes here on the poor FZ10 performance vs G5 from you. I'm interested in this subject because I'm choosing what camera to buy.
Firs of all, I've compared all images I could find in the Internet of G3 and FZ10. My overall opinion is: there is no significant difference in image quality between G3 and FZ10 at wide angle. FZ10 seems a little bit unsharp sometimes, and I don't know what's the reason - the images still have a lot of details and little sharpening in image editor (GIMP) makes them sharp enough. This doesn't concern FZ10 performance at low light - some people complain on it, some not too much. But outdoors images are barely the same in picture quality.
I've also compared Steve's review pictures (still outdoors) of the same subject of G5 and FZ10. Still not much difference to be even noticed.

So there are 2 questions:
1. Is there so much difference between G3 and G5 to make so difference between G5 and FZ10, as You've said? I'm speaking not only about low light conditions, but all common situations.
2. Could you please provide some images of the same object taken from the same point at the same time and zoom (35 mm) with your G5 and FZ10? It would be interesting to compare: a) Full automated mode of both. b) Best manual settings as you think of both cameras.
Is it too hard to make this comparison?
Alexander Rabtchevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2003, 10:02 PM   #6

Default G5 or FZ10

Alexander, my major complaint with the FZ10 to date has been related to indoor shooting under flourscent lighting. I spent an entire evening with both cameras in exactly the same situations (a basketball game) and I eventually gave up on the FZ10. If I had "only" one camera, the FZ10, this would pose a serious problem for me because I wish to photograph indoor sporting events quite a bit. The Canon did a better job in this situation. Under good lighting and in outdoor environments I can agree with you that the images are quite comparable, the Canon being a bit sharper, which I personally like. I agree that some computer manipulation will usually solve this problem nicely, but I like the idea of the camera doing as much as it possibly can on its own. As I have said in other posts, you can't beat the zoom of the FZ10. For me, personally, the zoom isn't going to help me in the above situation. If the FZ10 was my only camera I would be fuming because it would be impossible for me to get important photographs. I will use the FZ10 in situations where zoom is necessary and the Canon in situations where it is necessary for me to get a good product without zooming.

My preferences may well change as I become more used to thie FZ10. I dearly hope that I'll be able to work out a way to take decent pictures indoors under flouresent lighting from a distance of more than 10 feet.

I may well be able to find a bit of time this Christmas to post some comparisons as you have requested. I fully understand the dilemma you face and that you want to make a good purchase. I certainly don't wish to mislead you. From what I can see, the FZ10 is a great zoom camera but, like all things, has its limitations. It's just a matter of what limits we can swallow as consumers. Take care and I'll do what I can to find some time this Christmas to do as you requested.
Old Dec 22, 2003, 1:51 AM   #7

Default to Normcar

Thank you for your time and attention.
Merry Christmas and happy New Year

Will be pleased to hear from you
Alexander Rabtchevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2003, 3:31 PM   #8

Hello-
Relative to indoor shots at low luminescence...
A couple of suggestions I have learned with my FZ10
1). You must allow the gyro in the thing to reach full potential. You can tell this by when the "hand" in the viewfinder truns white. Takes a good 10 seconds, sometime slightly more or less. Makes a big difference
2. Use flash up to about 10 feet; increase flash level as allowed by pressing top of thumb button 3 times, then right side.
3). If too far for flash. Again, be sure to allow gyro warmup. Use ASM mode. If no action, set aperature to highest level that allows shutter speed of about 1/60 to increase depth. If action, set shutter to min of about 1/100 and aperature will auto to 2.8. It will tell you if not enough light (indicator turns red). Then experiment with it at slower shutter speed, holding steady until you maximize your results. I have found that the gyro stabilizer allows you to increase light with good pic up to about 1/4 sec shutter speed. Again, you can't do this just after turning on the camera because the gyro isn't up to speed yet. That is the key.
4). I get excellent indoor shots on most instances (90%) up to 10 feet just using flash on P mode. I don't like waiting for the thing to reach stabilized speed, but I have traced most problems to that.
5) Take all shots on 4 megapixil resolution; any less is a waste of time.

George
georgez opinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2004, 9:40 PM   #9

Alexander

As per your request, you will find a comparison between the two cameras here: http://www.brrd.ab.ca/nnorway/carrweb/index.htm

I hope that helps a bit.
Old Jan 17, 2004, 11:13 AM   #10

Default Re: G5 or FZ10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normcar
my major complaint with the FZ10 to date has been related to indoor shooting under flourscent lighting. I spent an entire evening with both cameras in exactly the same situations (a basketball game) and I eventually gave up on the FZ10.
strange, I've taken FZ1 to basketball for a few times and I rather liked the results. as you reffer to lighting, I assume that FZ10 did not produce right colours. imho FZ1 did produce right colours under daylight (fluorescent?) lighting in the arena. I did not use flash however and it is not FZ10, so maybe my comment is not quite in place..
K
Kestas is offline   Reply With Quote