Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 19, 2010, 11:18 AM   #1

Default Minimizing Noise in dark conditions

Hi All,

I'd seen my FZ38 get reviewed on the UK's 'Gadget Show' only to get 3/5 stars.... booooooo. This was due to what they considered a fair deal of noise in low light conditions.

As I've just come from the fun snap mob, can anyone tell me thier top five mods on settings to get the best out of my FZ38 in those conditions?

Cheers, Dec
declank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2010, 1:55 PM   #2

declank-

Welcome to the Forum and to the Panasonic P+S folder.

Beware that the "Gadget Show" thing was a paid info-mercial by Sony, so the outcome was set-up even before the so called "test" actually began.

(1) Measurable noise only becomes a factor in the FZ35/38 when the ISO setting is set above ISO 800.

(2) Do not use the IA mode. You will get better image quality use the "P" or Programmed Auto mode.

(3) When the available light in the photo environment become low use the camera's built-in flash unit, or a slave flash if you need added light output.

(4) Be sure to half way depress the shutter release and allow the camera to fully set its auto focus.

(5) Enjoy your FZ-35/38. It is a very good camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 12:14 PM   #3

With the acceptance of micro 4/3 increasing everyday, so is the acceptance of noise to the point where it's becoming somewhat charming. The reason is because the m4/3 works great with just about every legacy lens and although many work beautifully, some have limitations and produce images with less resolution and more noise. As a result, people are becoming more and more accustomed to seeing image noise and accepting it as part of life. I'm not saying that all of a sudden it is OK to shoot at ISO 6400 all the time but I think most current cameras have the capability of producing very good images at ISO 800 (even if some noise is present). Of course the reviews will look at those images with a magnifying glass. That's their job...to find the negatives. I had a boss who once told me that 90% of employees in a company simply meet requirements. Thus, as a manager, it was my job to make sure I'd find the negatives and rate 90% of my employees as "meeting requirements". I think the same applies to camera reviews. There has to be "buts" and "howevers" to every "good" and "well". From everything I've seen, the FZ35/38 is an excellent camera. Don't let the reviews influence your taste and opinion about the results it produces.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 4:06 PM   #4

Thanks for the response guy's, especially Sarah. I've been around the forum and you seem to be the life and soul of the party. You efforts make all the difference.

Dec
declank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 4:37 PM   #5

Thanks for the nice comment, Dec-

As a professional digital camera instructor, I enjoy helping out.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 22, 2010, 6:03 PM   #6

I always take my shoes off if I want to reduce noise in dark conditions.

But seriously (which is sometimes difficult for me), the Z35 takes great pictures when the "lights are low".

[QUOTE=declank;1067359]Hi All,

I'd seen my FZ38 get reviewed on the UK's 'Gadget Show' only to get 3/5 stars.... booooooo. This was due to what they considered a fair deal of noise in low light conditions.
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:47 PM   #7

Keep in mind that the "Gadget Show" which was shown in the UK was a paid info-mercial to promote the Sony HX-1 camera.

Sarah Joyce