Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 20, 2010, 9:39 AM   #1

Default Lumix FZ35

Could anyone help me please.

I would like to know what setting would be best for getting a good shot of the moon?

Last night I tried with my camera in P mode, and the shutter speed from any where between 1 and 1/4. Every shot was to bright. We had only a cresent moon, and I thought with a slower shutter it would get a better image. But it did not.

Does anyone know any other setting to make to get the best possible shot.

Thanks a lot for any tips you can give me.
I really like my camera. Best I ever owned.
MeGaPixEliT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2010, 9:46 AM   #2

Welcome MeGaPixeliT to the forum.

My first advice is easy - wait until night.

But seriously - a tripod - long open shutter. There is a setting for "starry nights" but I haven't tried using it yet.
There are others here that are much more informed than I am.
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 10:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint501 View Post
Welcome MeGaPixeliT to the forum.

My first advice is easy - wait until night.

But seriously - a tripod - long open shutter. There is a setting for "starry nights" but I haven't tried using it yet.
There are others here that are much more informed than I am.
The Tripod I have.
Night I'll have to wait for that.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 10:52 AM   #4

My 2c: Spot Focus is a must! The moon is moving faster than one realises, I think you will need
about 1/100 sec or will see the blur. Also to get rid of the "brightness", try an EV of about -1.
Regards

Last edited by dbnnet; Mar 20, 2010 at 11:14 AM.
dbnnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 11:27 AM   #5

dbnnet-

You hit the solution almost perfectly. Yes, a tripod is necessary. At least a shutter speed of 1/50th to 1/100th is required. Finally, use Exposure Compensation to narrow down or bracket the correct exposure, and you are set.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 1:31 PM   #6

That is all very good intel but Could you guys possible break that down a little more? I have just owned my camera for about three weeks. I have read thru the manual a lot, but there is just so many features, and it seems the camera has a lot of alike features. In a few different mods.

In P mode it has:

Intelligent ISO: Is Set to Off
Sensitivity: Is set to Auto
ISO Limit Set: Is Set to Auto
White Balance: Is Set to AWB
AF Mode: Is set to Square with center dot???
Pre AF: Is set to QAF??? Which is best?
AF/AE Lock: Is set to AF/AE?? Which is Best
Metering Mode: Is set to Box with Bracket with center dot???
I. Exposure: Is set to OFF??
Min. Shutter Speed: I have used this right much: Set lower number take in more light, Set to higher number takes photos thats moving fast with no blur???Right
Digital Zoom: I keep it Off
Stabilizer: Is set to Auto
AF Assist Lamp: I set it to off last night
Flash Synchro: 1ST ????

Should I use a custom mode for keeping my night time settings? or Is it possible that the camera has all the setting I need for night time?
Old Mar 20, 2010, 2:10 PM   #7

Be aware that the FZ38/35 is a camera that fits somewhere between a P&S and a DSLR with many manual controls and settings. In fact it has more manual options and controls than some entry level DSLR cameras. There is not going to be an easy short cut to getting the most out of your camera (unless you intend staying in iA mode). Best advice I could give would be to use P mode and take as many images as possible, and experiment to see what gives you the results that suits your eye & needs. Every photographer is going to have a different perspective as to what is acceptable noise, sharpness, saturation, etc. so not easy for someone to give you the “silver bullet” solution to what the ideal setting is!
Regards
dbnnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 2:38 PM   #8

I wanted to keep my P mode set for my regular day time shooting. So I tried to set my custom mode the way I wanted it. After setting it, and switching back to P mode, then when I go back to custom my setting are all reset. Gosh this is nerve racking.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 2:44 PM   #9

megapix-

Take at look at the attached photo of your list. These are the areas that we should discuss:

ISO Limit: This should be set to ISO 800. That is the last ISO setting that will give you decent image quality.

Minimum Shutter Speed: The OIS is good on the FZ-35, but realistically, to prevent blurring, I would set 1/30th as the minimum shutter speed.

AF Assist Lamp: This should always be in the "ON" position, except in rare situations where you feel it is offensive to your subject.

Flash Synchro: Until you learn how to use your FZ-35's much better, leave it at 1st curtain flash. This will prevent image blurring.

Needless to say that you learn best by taking lots of photos while experimenting and gaining experience.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 3:16 PM   #10

Thanks for that Sarah. I'll be sure and give that a try. My manaul under Custom Mode says saving of the selected custom settings is displayed on the screen. Mine does not show anything like that. When I make a custom setting in Custom mode, it does not say anything about saving. and when I Exit that mode, then return my settings are reset to the factory defaut.