Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 22, 2010, 5:52 AM   #1

Default FZ vs TZ/ZS vs LX Night Shots

Hi

I noticed over at DPreview an interesting new thread asking for comparisons of the night shots of the TZ/ZS to the LX3. I asked and the OP is happy to include FZ contributions.

From the thread:

"Is the LX3 the reigning Panny P&S for low light, or can the ZS3, TZ5, TZ7 etc. hang in there?"

Should you be interested in contributing your best night/low light shots from your FZ camera to that thread, here is the link:

The Great TZ ZS Low Light Thread

Alternatively, post your FZ shots here and provide a link over at that thread - I'm sure a little healthy cross-pollination between the 2 sites will only increase many people's awareness of the fantastic Panasonic camera range (and also the recently rejuvenated Steve's forum as well )

In the short time I have had my new FZ35, I have made some basic comparisons with a variety of previous digital P&S's I have owned (Panasonic, Sony, Canon). So far I am very impressed, if not stunned, by the advances the Panasonic engineers have made with the Venus HD processor, seemingly overcoming by a fair margin any challenges the increased pixel-density have presented. (This may not be the case however between the new TZ10/ZS7 and the previous and now almost legendary TZ7/ZS3.)

And we all know by now why Panasonic hasn't mucked around with the winning lens formula of the FZ's for 3 generations of cameras (almost unheard of these days) - the big Leica lens is universally acknowledged to be the best in the world in it's segment, and even humbles many DSLR kit lenses for focal range, edge-to-edge sharpness and speed. (and it's not a bazooka a la Olympus, Fuji, Nikon, Kodak, Pentax superzooms! )

I also took a walk over to dcresource.com and compared the ISO80 night samples of the FZ35 to the Canon S90, the TZ7/ZS3, the FZ18, and just for fun the Canon 7D DSLR. This is pure pixel-peeping I admit, but go see for yourself, I think you will be literally blown away by the detail retention and noise control of the FZ35.

Although this is not a scientific test, to my eyes, the FZ35 slightly bettered the S90 and the TZ7/ZS3, brutally clobbered the FZ18, and yes was on the same playing field as the D7 (at ISO80, allowing for the increased light sensitivity of the larger sensor, and only looking at noise and detail).

Sarah and some of the other experienced FZ35 users here must have some stunning night shots they could contribute. I hope you find this worthwhile and fun!
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:15 AM   #2

Greg-

Rather than night photos per se, I have done a sizable amount of theater photography without flash at ISO 800 in the Program Mode with the FZ-28 when I was teaching on cruise ships.

Here is an example photo that was taken on the 2009 Princess World Cruise.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:25 AM   #3

Here is a 100% crop of the same photo. You can see this is where you are down to individual pixel level and a small imager camera shows its faults.

In a large imager camera like a Nikon P-90, which I also shoot with, the image quality at a 100% crop would be much better.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
In a large imager camera like a Nikon P-90, which I also shoot with, the image quality at a 100% crop would be much better.

Sarah Joyce
Hi Sarah -

Nice shot. Did you mean D90, I assume?
Jazzer251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:45 PM   #5

Larry, thanks for catching my error-

I did mean the D-90 DSLR camera, and I have corrected my previous post.

Sarah Joyce