Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 24, 2010, 1:01 PM   #1

Default video smearing / blooming in ZS3 amd ZS7

I had the ZS 3 and in many of my videos I had this vertical line when sun or other bright lights are reflected.
That doesn't happen with the previous model that I also have.

I have seen the same problem on the new ZS7 in the video samples on various reviews sites (cameralabs etc).

Is this a problem of the increased megapixels on the sensor or in general with that CCD?

Is there any way to avoid that vertical line in the new ZS7 with some manual controls?

I have seen test video from the Sony HX5 which uses a CMOS sensor and it doesn't have that smearing / blooming.

Thanks for anyone with insight or hints.
mamuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2010, 4:31 PM   #2

Are you speaking about the lines like they are seen @ the beginning of this link?
http://vimeo.com/6563312
I'm sure you will not see it in the end result jpegs. It gets corrected in the photos by the jpeg engine.
If this is the issue you are refering to, then it is supposedly common in CCD sensor cameras....
Someone suggested to attach Neutral Density filter to avoid this issue,
OR simpler - just avoid strong light sources while shooting videos.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamuco View Post
I had the ZS 3 and in many of my videos I had this vertical line when sun or other bright lights are reflected.
That doesn't happen with the previous model that I also have.

I have seen the same problem on the new ZS7 in the video samples on various reviews sites (cameralabs etc).

Is this a problem of the increased megapixels on the sensor or in general with that CCD?

Is there any way to avoid that vertical line in the new ZS7 with some manual controls?

I have seen test video from the Sony HX5 which uses a CMOS sensor and it doesn't have that smearing / blooming.

Thanks for anyone with insight or hints.
mithunbabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 5:34 PM   #3

mithunbaba is on the right track-

It is caused by a phenomena called lens flare. It happens when you are shooting directly into a singular light source. It will happen on all cameras, even the Sony HX-5, if you shoot directly into the sun or any powerful light source.

Lens coatings strive to minimize lens flare, but they are not perfect. Because your video does not go through the same processing as your still photos, lens flare seems to happen more when shoot directly into or nearly into your light source. Neutral density filters produce only minimal results. The most important thing is to use a properly sized and effective lens hood.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 1:41 AM   #4

@mithunbabu
yes indeed these are the lines I mean. It doesn't show up in the pictures, but only in the video.
I made this combo test clip to illustrate the difference with the same scene (not my own footage): http://vimeo.com/10146102

Look also at my own clip with the ZS3 this clip at 1:17 - 1:30 and 1:53 http://vimeo.com/9158665

@mtclimber
Thanks for the explanation about lens coating etc.
But I have seen some samples with the HX5 against the sun and it shows the usual spots you would get with a SLR or also see on TV / films.
So just wondering if it is more sensor related as it also shows in the vimeo sample mithunbabu posted on the Canon SX20 and Panasonic FZ35.

Here is a sample I found of the lens flare I would expect from a camera - in this case its a HX5 - (from 0:28 sec onward):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpGPczHjVbc

No big deal really as one can always get another camera or test it our before purchase. And my ZR3 doesn't show that behavior, that's why I was wondering if the increased mega Pixels on the sensor might be the culprit.

Thanks to you both for looking into it.

Last edited by mamuco; Mar 26, 2010 at 11:32 AM. Reason: added youtube link
mamuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:58 PM   #5

Default the explanation you're looking for

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamuco View Post
@mithunbabu
yes indeed these are the lines I mean. It doesn't show up in the pictures, but only in the video.

@mtclimber
Thanks for the explanation about lens coating etc.
But I have seen some samples with the HX5 against the sun and it shows the usual spots you would get with a SLR or also see on TV / films.
So just wondering if it is more sensor related as it also shows in the vimeo sample mithunbabu posted on the Canon SX20 and Panasonic FZ35.

@mamuco
I had the same question as you did regarding the lens flare effect I observed in the comparison videos posted in the CameraLabs forum. After doing some research, I found a very helpful guide that explains it all in very easy to understand terms and even includes some examples. Its a common issue with video cameras and starting to be noticed as an issue with P&S cameras since they are more commonly being used for video as well.

It turns out its an inherent design flaw with CCD sensors. The Sony HX5v did not show it because it uses a CMOS sensor, which are immune the effect. CMOS sensors have their own design flaws as you'll read in the link, so its a tradeoff either way.

But one thing is certain: it won't impact your photos. Its a side effect of constantly exposing the sensor while it is refreshing. It will appear in video and on the LCD screen before the shot is taken. But the photo will look fine.

Here's the article on B&H I was referring to: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/new...ge-Sensors.jsp
wulfpak05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:59 PM   #6

Default Even more detail...

http://dvxuser.com/jason/CMOS-CCD/
wulfpak05 is offline   Reply With Quote