Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 25, 2010, 11:27 AM   #1

Default Carrying the FZ35

So here's a ridiculous question. The FZ35 is the first non-pocket sized camera that I have used. You get a decent case to protect it and hold some accessories and then go out for the day hiking, traveling or whatever. What do you do with your camera and case??

It seems a lot of people like to carry their camera around their neck for quick access -- so then what do you do with the other stuff. Do you take a backpack and throw your camera case in the pack along with all of your other things.

This may sound silly, but I'm actually considering what camera bag(s) to buy and I'm trying to envision what I will want to do when I am out for the day away from my car and want to have everything with me. Up until now, it has always been pretty easy -- I simply have a small backpack with all of the things I need to have with me and then clip a camera to my belt in a small case and grab it if I want to take a shot. The FZ35 is too big to comfortably wear on a belt, so hanging around the neck seems to make sense. If I am going to use a backpack anyway, maybe a small inexpensive case makes sense.

I imagine this is a much bigger issue for those with big DSLRs with multiple lenses. So, how do you handle it?
Jazzer251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2010, 11:46 AM   #2

http://www.adorama.com/searchsite/de...H%20D%20OFFSET

I have several camera bags and don't use any of them with my FZ35. It's so light that it's around my neck on quail hunting trips and other photography occasions.

The link above is to the neoprene cover that I use. It is very useful, lightweight and offers enough protection from dust and bumps. If you're going to carry your camera this way, this is a pretty good choice.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 11:50 AM   #3

Because I often travel, I use the smallest Lowepro possible for a very snug fit for my FZ38/35: The Edit 110.
If I must use the hood (I almost never do), I carry it in a separate small zipper bag,
but am not prepared to fall into the trap of lugging a big case around.
dbnnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 1:22 PM   #4

I carry the case around my neck & shoulder (case hanging in back) and the camera with strap either on my neck or in my hand.
This is the case that was bundled with the camera http://www.jr.com/vidpro/pe/VPO_CR125/

It's small and light but large enough to hold 2 extra batteries, the charger, lens hood, cloth, USB reader. If I had anything else I would need a bigger bag.
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 1:48 PM   #5

Thanks for the input. It looks like a couple of solutions may be in order depending on the particular outing.

Jack, how does that pouch attach? By the tripod attachment? If so, I guess you can't use a small tripod without taking it off.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 3:36 PM   #6

Because I always carry several cameras, I use a video camera case on a shoulder strap. That allow room for 2 camera, a slave flash and a mini tripod.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 3:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzer251 View Post
Thanks for the input. It looks like a couple of solutions may be in order depending on the particular outing.

Jack, how does that pouch attach? By the tripod attachment? If so, I guess you can't use a small tripod without taking it off.
You can use a tri-pod with no problem. The case has a little strap that attaches to the camera strap with a snap. It just hangs free when you are using the camera. It's quick to go on an off. I really like it.

Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 5:01 PM   #8

+1 for the Edit 110. It fits the camera nice and snug and has enough room for a spare battery, memory card and USB cord.

It also clips on the belt and the top opening flap means it's very quick to get the camera in and out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheeseboy2/
Comments appreciated.
cheeseboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 5:26 PM   #9

Welcome to the Forum and to the Panasonic Folder, CheeseBoy-

You have a good looking series of photos posted on your flickr account. It looks like you are well on your way to mastering the FZ-35.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 8:23 PM   #10

Thanks, Jack. Looks good. Which model fits the FZ35? Does it work with the lens hood on or don't you use it?

Cheeseboy and dbnet, I went to look at the Edit 110 tonight. It seemed like the camera fit in kind of awkwardly to me. Would one of you mind posting a couple of pictures when you get a chance showing how your camera and other accessories sit in the case? It would be most appreciated.

Thanks!