Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 29, 2010, 11:39 AM   #1

Default FZ35 Zoom capabilities

These are utilizing the on camera zoom only no teleconverter...

Last edited by LTZ470; Mar 30, 2010 at 9:28 AM.
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2010, 11:45 AM   #2

Old Mar 29, 2010, 11:48 AM   #3

Old Mar 30, 2010, 7:30 PM   #4

What I really like about the FZ series zoom capability is that, if needed, I can get extended optical zoom to 35X. I use this mode in Yellowstone on distant animals. I know, I know, everyone says you can get the same effect by cropping. That's simply wrong. With extended zoom you can compose your picture exactly and tell what the attitude is of the distant animal etc.

I haven't used this feature in my FZ35 yet but I expect results will even be better since it has a much better image stabilization than the FZ28.

Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 7:58 PM   #5

A TC is better then pp cropping you get more resolution. If you need to crop in 50% you have lost half your resolution. You really do not want to crop more then 15-25% depending on the camera.

But back to the topic, it is a very impressive zoom on the fz.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 9:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setter Dog View Post
What I really like about the FZ series zoom capability is that, if needed, I can get extended optical zoom to 35X. I use this mode in Yellowstone on distant animals. I know, I know, everyone says you can get the same effect by cropping. That's simply wrong. With extended zoom you can compose your picture exactly and tell what the attitude is of the distant animal etc.

I haven't used this feature in my FZ35 yet but I expect results will even be better since it has a much better image stabilization than the FZ28.

Jack
Well said Jack. Another commonly overlooked benefit of the EZ Zoom is that the camera correctly meters the cropped scene - something you might have to adjust for manually if cropping later on the PC. Also if using spot-metering and/or spot focus it will be easier to hit the "spot" with the larger view.
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 9:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
A TC is better then pp cropping you get more resolution. If you need to crop in 50% you have lost half your resolution. You really do not want to crop more then 15-25% depending on the camera.

But back to the topic, it is a very impressive zoom on the fz.
Hi shoturtle

I'm thinking of maybe getting the TC per your advice, I have some questions if I may:

1. How much light is lost using the TC, if so by how many stops, and does this limit the hand-held abilities of the 35 using the new more effective Power OIS? Would it force a higher ISO, somewhat negating the benefits of the TC in the first place?
  2. What is the minimum focal length you can use when the TC is fitted? I don't want to be taking it on and off all the time.
  3. Is the (expensive) Panasonic TC the best, or are other brands OK too? There are some really cheap ones on eBay from Hong Kong etc, but I can't tell which if these would be OK or not. No use buying one if the IQ drops significantly. Seeing the Leica lens is so good, one would want the TC to be equally as good??
  4. Lastly if I'm not going to be using the TC that often, and I would like (but not sure if I can afford yet) a close up and wide converter also, would a cheap 3 in 1 kit from eBay be OK? Or wasted money in your opinion?
Thank you
Greg
Old Mar 30, 2010, 9:30 PM   #8

Every tc is different, and I am not a TC user. But from what I know on the dslr side, you do loss f-stops when adding a tc. And some tc degrade image more then others. Example the canon ef 1.4x degrades image more then the ef 2x. And you can not use a TC after F8 as the lens will not focus. That is why with canon, you only use them on 2.8 or better lenses. But I do not think the AF issue will affect a bridge camera or megazoom with any of the lens TC's.

But from the limited encounters with TC's you really get what you pay for. They have higher quality glass, and more optically correct then el cheapo. So if you get one, get it from a good brand not a no name.

Sorry I can not help you more, I just do not use them.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 10:41 PM   #9

Greg thats the best answers I can give from my limited knowledge! The LT-55 fits nicely in a Think Tank Lens Changer 15...it is easy on and off once you get the hang of it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillgreg View Post
Hi shoturtle

I'm thinking of maybe getting the TC per your advice, I have some questions if I may:

1.) How much light is lost using the TC, if so by how many stops, and does this limit the hand-held abilities of the 35 using the new more effective Power OIS? Would it force a higher ISO, somewhat negating the benefits of the TC in the first place?
Panny LT-55 is 1.7 so 1.7 times f/2.8 = f/4.76

2.)What is the minimum focal length you can use when the TC is fitted? I don't want to be taking it on and off all the time.
9X is the lowest zoom with TC in place equivalent: So the minimum would be 9x X 1.7 X 27mm = 413mm so effectively you have a 413mm to 826mm @ 12Mp - 413mm to 1010mm @ 8Mp - 413mm to 1290 @ 5Mp - 413mm to 1616mm @ 3Mp setting

3.)Is the (expensive) Panasonic TC the best, or are other brands OK too? There are some really cheap ones on eBay from Hong Kong etc, but I can't tell which if these would be OK or not. No use buying one if the IQ drops significantly. Seeing the Leica lens is so good, one would want the TC to be equally as good??
I tried a Hila 2.2 High Resolution Teleconverter and it had terrible distortion even after the vendor told me that it was better than the Panasonic...then their adapter didn't work properly so they had to send me more, etc...go with the Panny LT-55 and LA3 Adapter and be done with it!

4.)Lastly if I'm not going to be using the TC that often, and I would like (but not sure if I can afford yet) a close up and wide converter also, would a cheap 3 in 1 kit from eBay be OK? Or wasted money in your opinion?
Waste of money (Cheap and Chinese made) and the Wide Converter will not work on the FZ35

The LC-55 is too much trouble for the money for the FZ35...the last Macro Shots I took the IQ was just as good as the with LC-55 pic's I posted on here previously and the LC-55 is finicky on focusing..I think Panasonic set it up so you must be approx 1ft away from the object so you wouldn't block light with the camera...it does do a decent job though and for $70 it was cheap...
Thank you
Greg
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
Greg thats the best answers I can give from my limited knowledge! The LT-55 fits nicely in a Think Tank Lens Changer 15...it is easy on and off once you get the hang of it...
Thanks heaps for that excellent info. Also, I see plenty of people talking about the TC-170, whatever that is. It seems very popular over at DPR. Do you have any knowledge about this? It seems a fair but cheaper than the Panasonic model, but is it's quality as good?